Thread: HOA's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Hey I'm trying to get you some business here!
    No need. Business is booming.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    I'm going to do it SLW doesn't want to.
    Wow, I've sat through a couple out east (LWR) and wanted to kill my self, being on the board has to be tough...

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I was treasurer last year and secretary this year. The first thing I did was to be certain that the HOA carried adequate insurance to protect the volunteers.

We had a grand and glorious tradition in our HOA. When we moved here there were 2 warring factions, to the point of needing a sheriff's deputy at our meetings. The attorney attended each meeting. They ran up a huge legal bill. The old guy mentioned in the first post was one of the leaders against the "establishment'. They ran up a huge legal bill on us, then tabled our proposed deed restriction changes. They did some really dirty things. They got me so mad I stupidly agreed to run for the board in able to block some of the dissidents. I sadly have a hard time being patient with the nonsense, need to work on that.
    You need to brush up on your State laws and your HOA restrictive covenants. Some RC can be overcome by simple majority while others may require a super majority. Also some may be overcome by proven non enforcement over time.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKwonDo View Post
    Wow, I've sat through a couple out east (LWR) and wanted to kill my self, being on the board has to be tough...

Dear God!!! LWR!!!! We don't even live there and I've heard horror stories!!!!

I was looking to buy there waaaaaaaaay back but didn't like the snooty attitude of the sales staff plus the fact they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the HOA fee would be. This is over 10 years ago.

Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap. People can smell weakness and they will take advantage of you every damn time.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I would literally rather die than live in any community that has a HOA.
    Same here.

We have county ordinances that cover any neighbors that would become unsafe. But it's not really an issue where I bought my house.

When it comes to some HOAs I hate the letters and knock on the doors from or due to a busy body with too much time on their hands.

The last HOA I dealt with I had a neighbor get in trouble for having her swimming pool towel hanging outside to dry, as she used it twice a day. It was considered a "clothes line." What a load of crap, they wasted so much time talking about it month after month, real issues were not talked about. It was simply draped on her front door rail. There was no "line" of clothes drying. I learned pretty quickly that most old people suck in these enviroments. They pick on the little old ladies, but the guy with the three barking dogs with a big mouth they leave alone.....to "keep him quiet" total BS in my book.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 04-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Same here.

We have county ordinances that cover any neighbors that would become unsafe. But it's not really an issue where I bought my house.

When it comes to some HOAs I hate the letters and knock on the doors from or due to a busy body with too much time on their hands.

The last HOA I dealt with I had a neighbor get in trouble for having her swimming pool towel hanging outside to dry, as she used it twice a day. It was considered a "clothes line." What a load of crap, they wasted so much time talking about it month after month, real issues were not talked about. It was simply draped on her front door rail. There was no "line" of clothes drying. I learned pretty quickly that most old people suck in these enviroments. They pick on the little old ladies, but the guy with the three barking dogs with a big mouth they leave alone.....to "keep him quiet" total BS in my book.
    You wouldn't believe the nonsense some of the neighborhood snitches complain about. The latest was a ladder set against the house (on its side, not sticking up) on the side of the house behind a bush. They said that there wasn't enough of an attempt to hide it.

Then there's the "a couple bags of mulch" are left at the side of the house.

But one woman had 5 different styles fencing, painted different colors, some properly installed, others just lying against the wall. She had big panes of glass, some broken, in her yard, an old toilet, much debris, lots of weeds. She refused to fix the stuff til she got the letter from the attorney saying she would be fined $100 a day til she made some progress in getting it fixed. Funny thing, she suddenly fixed it after about 3 years of thumbing her nose at the HOA.

Rob, you have to understand Florida. It's weird here, with million dollar homes next to trailer parks or middle of the road houses like ours. The places w/o HOA associations generally look like crap and the value of the property goes way, way down. Personally, I don't really care what they do here, but I care when they start making their places looking like a dump. Whenever we decide to sell, we want to not lose any more than we have to.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    ........Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap.............
    That's the way I did it and it payed off for everyone. The developer's son put up a TV antenna (not allowed) and I made him take it down. Developer put up "For Sale" signs (not allowed) and I went around at night, rounded them up and hid them.
    People didn't want to pay their HOA fees, so I published a full list of who has and who hasn't. That worked.

OK, I was a fascist dictator. But I was continuously re-elected until we left. Dunno what happened after that......

Couldn't you just tell him how you are disappointed in his lack of vision and used the force to choke him?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Couldn't you just tell him how you are disappointed in his lack of vision and used the force to choke him?

I think SLW would get upset...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I really am not fond of them, but they do have their uses. Not every state has planning and zoning systems or legal statues to enforce decency in some areas, for good or ill. Nor do all areas have, such clear distinctions in social-economic areas of living as others.