Thread: HOA's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Dear God!!! LWR!!!! We don't even live there and I've heard horror stories!!!!

I was looking to buy there waaaaaaaaay back but didn't like the snooty attitude of the sales staff plus the fact they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the HOA fee would be. This is over 10 years ago.

Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap. People can smell weakness and they will take advantage of you every damn time.
    Well I'm sales out there now and much better informed and nicer!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    We have county ordinances that cover any neighbors that would become unsafe. But it's not really an issue where I bought my house.
    While moving I was a bit shocked to realize that not every state, for good or ill, has planning and zoning systems in place to prevent neighborhoods from becoming disheveled messes. Nor the ordinances in place, again for good or ill, to prevent unseemly homes and lawns falling into disarray. In the absence of all that... a reasonable home owners association can be a good thing.

FWIW though, if I can help it, I don't ever want to buy a home in one. They do have an overwhelming tendency to get absolutely out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    While moving I was a bit shocked to realize that not every state, for good or ill, has planning and zoning systems in place to prevent neighborhoods from becoming disheveled messes. Nor the ordinances in place, again for good or ill, to prevent unseemly homes and lawns falling into disarray. In the absence of all that... a reasonable home owners association can be a good thing.

FWIW though, if I can help it, I don't ever want to buy a home in one. They do have an overwhelming tendency to get absolutely out of hand.
    I don't particularly like them either, but in my opinion they're a necessity in Florida, at least in this part of the state. The local government does nothing. They argue and do stupid things, but they do nothing to protect the local citizens. Zoning seems to be nonexistent here. Police protection isn't much better. I think they emphasize the citizen's patrol, so residents can do their own policing.

There's a little contingent of hobos/homeless/grifters within close range of our development. They hang out in the woods and have campfires, not good when we're in a drought cycle. The cops at first denied they were there, then said that they make good "informers" and let the cops know what's going on. Gee, what is wrong with this picture?

Gotta go as have to help organize our Neighborhood Watch Program. It was supposed to be a Citizen's Patrol, but after Treyvon Martin, we lost all our volunteers.

In the meantime someone stole a 51 in flatscreen from a house about a block away. The resident had it on the screened lanai. I'm not that trusting to do that (or stupid depending on the way you look at it).
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeKwonDo View Post
    Well I'm sales out there now and much better informed and nicer!
    LOL!! Well if we're ever in the market...

But honestly I think there is more a chance we stay put or go south to the Ft.Myers area.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I don't particularly like them either, but in my opinion they're a necessity in Florida, at least in this part of the state.
    I understand, and am in complete agreement. In some areas, neighborhoods need them to provide some protection for your property and simply put... human decency.