Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 ABC News - Christian Theologians Prepare for E.T. 
    Story Here

Interesting.

Looked at scientifically, it is almost an absolute that there is other life in this universe. Given the size and the numbers of the stars and planets, then scientifically the odds are definately in favor of 'life out there'.

The Catholic Church, surprisingly, is open to this. Usually the Catholic Church moves so slowly on things that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. But in this case, it's ahead of the game.

The fundamentalist sector in this article are against life elsewhere. That has been my experience 'in real life' as well. The Baptists I know absolutely don't think it's possible.

My opinion - it's absolutely possible and highly probable. Also - 'Life out there' wouldn't in any way take away from a belief in God or in Christ as my Saviour.

Anyways, i thought you all might like to see the ABC News article.

Enjoy. :D
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    Story Here

Interesting.

Looked at scientifically, it is almost an absolute that there is other life in this universe. Given the size and the numbers of the stars and planets, then scientifically the odds are definately in favor of 'life out there'.

The Catholic Church, surprisingly, is open to this. Usually the Catholic Church moves so slowly on things that it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind. But in this case, it's ahead of the game.

The fundamentalist sector in this article are against life elsewhere. That has been my experience 'in real life' as well. The Baptists I know absolutely don't think it's possible.

My opinion - it's absolutely possible and highly probable. Also - 'Life out there' wouldn't in any way take away from a belief in God or in Christ as my Saviour.

Anyways, i thought you all might like to see the ABC News article.

Enjoy. :D
    The real question is, what happens if any of these other life forms decide the human institution of marriage is pretty swell and want to take part? Do we expand the definition of marriage or expand the definition of man and woman? :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    That statement is so utterly false.

Looking at it "Scientifically" there wouldn't be a chance in heck that the earth would even have a single cell of protien on it.

I really hate this misconception, where people still think the universe is infinite so there must be aliens.

The universe is Finite. The circumstances that allow us to live on Earth are so far beyond the scale of porportions of the universe.

I'd recommend looking into the "Priviledged Planet"

And any believers can answer me this! Why is it, that in the 80's and 90's when video cameras where new, and few people had them, we had massive amounts of Alien sitings? but now a days when every single person in the world has one on thier cell phone, to the point where no celebrity or politician can act a fool in public and not be on youtube that night, there are absolutely no more Alien sitings?

______
    Patrick
    4jacks
    4jacks@gmail.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jacks View Post
    That statement is so utterly false.

Looking at it "Scientifically" there wouldn't be a chance in heck that the earth would even have a single cell of protien on it.

I really hate this misconception, where people still think the universe is infinite so there must be aliens.
    It doesn't have to be infinite. Hundreds of billions of galaxies with billions of stars each... if the chance of life forming on a given planet is as small as .0000001%, it would be a statistical certainty that the universe has lots of it, at least by our standards.

The universe is Finite. The circumstances that allow us to live on Earth are so far beyond the scale of porportions of the universe.
    Interesting... I wonder how you have come to such a conclusion? Anyone who tells you they have a lock on the statistical probability of life arising is selling you snake oil. It's information we do not have.

And any believers can answer me this! Why is it, that in the 80's and 90's when video cameras where new, and few people had them, we had massive amounts of Alien sitings? but now a days when every single person in the world has one on thier cell phone, to the point where no celebrity or politician can act a fool in public and not be on youtube that night, there are absolutely no more Alien sitings?
    The aliens must be privy to our growing prowess with technology?

noonwitch
    Anything is possible. To say absolutely that there is no life anywhere in the universe except on earth is to limit God.

That doesn't mean I believe everybody's UFO story, though.

I notice that in the article most of the troubled brows and hand-wringing seem to come from atheists.

The discovery of a planet full of genuine Vulcans who speak perfect English would make absolutely no difference to me or any other sensible Christian in terms of salvation or faith. Why would it? The bible is meant for us, it's our handbook for this place and this life. It contains everything needed for the salvation and moral conduct of human beings: not dogs or space aliens. For all I know, dogs and space aliens have their own revelation.

This is a non-issue for me as a Christian.

Our world - as we see, feel and smell it - is truly unique. If it were not, the perfect place for a creature "in His image", then the Garden of Eden would have been just be another collection of shrubbery. We’re it - that’s all there is - deal with it.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I notice that in the article most of the troubled brows and hand-wringing seem to come from atheists.

The discovery of a planet full of genuine Vulcans who speak perfect English would make absolutely no difference to me or any other sensible Christian in terms of salvation or faith. Why would it? The bible is meant for us, it's our handbook for this place and this life. It contains everything needed for the salvation and moral conduct of human beings: not dogs or space aliens. For all I know, dogs and space aliens have their own revelation.

This is a non-issue for me as a Christian.
    It throws a big monkey wrench into theology. Did Jesus die for the aliens sins as well? Are the aliens fallen, or still perfect? Do they need salvation? If so, how will or did they get the Good News? Did Jesus go to that planet and live a sinless life there, die and raise again? Plus, unfortunately, if it is an issue to nonbelievers, it becomes an issue believers need some sort of answer to.

IMHO, there ain't no aliens out there. The odds as I recall fall well beneath the statistical definition of impossibility, and their existence would lessen man's uniqueness and place as God's purposeful creation.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    It throws a big monkey wrench into theology. Did Jesus die for the aliens sins as well? Are the aliens fallen, or still perfect? Do they need salvation? If so, how will or did they get the Good News? Did Jesus go to that planet and live a sinless life there, die and raise again? Plus, unfortunately, if it is an issue to nonbelievers, it becomes an issue believers need some sort of answer to.

IMHO, there ain't no aliens out there. The odds as I recall fall well beneath the statistical definition of impossibility, and their existence would lessen man's uniqueness and place as God's purposeful creation.
    We human beings have a lot of problems but the salvation of space aliens is one of them. If the space aliens need saving, I'm sure that God is perfectly capable of handling that in some space alien-acceptable way. One of the main faults we human beings have involves underestimating the glory of God and overestimating our own puny contributions to that. ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    Well, I think the probability would be much greater if you ditch the requirement that 'alien life' be of an intelligence greater than or equal to our own.

It is very recent still that we have the technology to find extrasolar planets, but it is still very limited and indirect. All the discovered planets, are gas giants (like Jupiter and bigger) AFAIK... detecting planets that would be earth-like is still beyond our technology. We still have no idea how common earth-like planets are, where life (as we know it anyways) could begin, and thrive.