Thread: Polygamy, Too

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, you're okay with a system that reduces women to chattel and maximizes poverty for children? Really?
    No. But I am okay with a woman who conciously decides to be a "sister wife".
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    And living in a free society I believe you should have the right to do that
    OK but do you disagree with this:
    ...these polygamous men are eligible to receive extra welfare benefits...and a Scottish court once permitted a Muslim who had been cited for speeding to retain his driver’s license because he had to commute between his wives.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    No. But I am okay with a woman who conciously decides to be a "sister wife".
    Would you be okay with letting your daughter make that decision?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Puts a whole new shine on the concept when it's your kids making that choice doesn't it?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

My dad taught me a great thing after high school. Regardless of any decision I made his answer was "You're an adult, you can do what you want." He doesn't always agree with my decisions but he supports me in whatever I do. If my daughter decided that is what she wanted, then so be it. All I would hope is her husband was caring and didn't hit her. When I have childre, I will only have control of what they do until they leave the house. What they decide to do afterwards is on them. Personally, I would not want her to do it. I believe in monogamy. But if she did, then I would just hope for the best.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    OK but do you disagree with this:
    Of course I don't agree with that, but I realize that there will always be people who will find a way to exploit the system. For example, at Wal Mart tonight I saw a woman pay with an EBT card even though I happened to spot no less than three hundred dollar bills in her wallet. That doesn't mean however that I'm opposed to the idea of food stamps altogether. Like I said, polygamy would require alot of logistics to hammer out and the means of exploitation is, I'll give you, much easier. But like I said, just because some would exploit the system doesn't mean I should be opposed to it altogether.

Hope that makes sense, even if you disagree

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    It's just my opinion, but why the hell not? It's a victimless crime. Marriage has already been ruined by pop and celebrity culture, so I don't see the harm in polygamy.

But then again, that's just me

If marriage has been ruined, then the answer is NOT to further degrade society - the answer is to restore marriage.

Marriage has been a KEY to civilized society - which is PRECISELY why liberals have been attacking it for so long.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.