Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 OWS Vow to "Shut Down Bridges and Tunnels" in NYC and SF 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    (CNS News) — As part of Occupy Wall Street’s call for a nationwide “general strike” May 1, elements within the group are looking to shut down bridges and tunnels in both New York and San Francisco.

Occupy Oakland, the most radical of all the local Occupy groups, passed a resolution April 15 that vows to shut down all travel from Marin to San Francisco.

“If any of the unions on the Golden Gate bridge declare a strike or shutdown action on May Day, we will act in solidarity with these striking workers and the international call for a general strike on May Day, by blockading the flow of capital to the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District. This will be accomplished by a collaboration of pickets and direct action which will shut down all modes of transportation from Marin to San Francisco,” went the statement on the website Occupythebridge.com.

The May Day Flier from the Golden Gate Labor Coalitioncalls for a protest next to the bridge that insists the Bridge District also: “don’t reduce vested retiree benefits,” “don’t reduce current employees’ benefits” and “don’t reward non-union employees with raises while breaking promises to union workers.”

Keep reading…

--------*-

That reminds me. I need to invest more into police clubs.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

This just goes to show that the #Occutard movement isn't as big or accepted as we are led to believe...

Hey look! Movable speedbumps!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

So they're vowing to shut down bridges and subways in two of the most Liberal cities in the US?

More power to them

I kinda think Republicans are giving the election to Obama due to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rjas77 View Post
    So they're vowing to shut down bridges and subways in two of the most Liberal cities in the US?

More power to them
    I don't know about San Franciscans, but New Yorkers will just run the bastards over.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I kinda think Republicans are giving the election to Obama due to this issue.
    Why?

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Hmmm they say..."If any of the unions on the Golden Gate bridge declare a strike or shutdown action on May Day, we will act in solidarity with these striking workers and the international call for a general strike on May Day, by blockading the flow of capital to the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District. This will be accomplished by a collaboration of pickets and direct action which will shut down all modes of transportation from Marin to San Francisco"

Well what if no one calls a strike?? Will they just stand there like dummies??? Sure they will!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hmmm they say..."If any of the unions on the Golden Gate bridge declare a strike or shutdown action on May Day, we will act in solidarity with these striking workers and the international call for a general strike on May Day, by blockading the flow of capital to the Golden Gate Bridge Highway and Transportation District. This will be accomplished by a collaboration of pickets and direct action which will shut down all modes of transportation from Marin to San Francisco"

Well what if no one calls a strike?? Will they just stand there like dummies??? Sure they will!!!
    Yeah, right. Like anyone from Marin County is going to go to work in San Franfreako on May Day. That holiday is bigger than Christmas to those people. Working that day would be absolute sacrilege.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

OWS's "vow"? That in itself is hysterical. Since when did OWS stand for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by rjas77 View Post
    Why?
    Well, I think the Republicans are missing a great opportunity with the occupy movement to chip away at Obama's base. All it would take is to ratchet down the condescension and name-calling. Because at the heart of it, occupiers are protesting against an unholy alliance between big government and big business. The occupy movement is strictly anti-bailout by definition. I've pointed this out before, but there's a lot of rhetorical common ground between Sarah Palin's speech against corporate crony capitalism and the anger which is inciting these liberals.

If Republicans wanted to harness this opportunity, they would just have to take a more adult attitude of while we don't agree with how you express your anger, you are completely correct that Wall Street and the Banks are fraudulently using taxpayer money for private enterprise, and shame on the Obama administration for stealing from the People to give to these crooks who obviously couldn't survive in a free market. And then go on to make the distinction between the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and Henry Fords of the world, and hedge fund managers that took risks that supposedly justified extremely high salaries... but in the end got government to subsidize their risk with taxpayer money.

This election in 2012 will be about who can get the regular voting base of their respective party to turn out. While Republicans will never convince liberals sympathetic to the occupy movement to vote for a Republican, I think they can be convinced to not vote for Obama. This is why I don't think Republicans are actually serious about beating Obama. I think Republicans would much rather have these small little petty victories, than to grow up and have adult conversations. Republican immaturity can be seen in the party leaders, the media pundits, and indeed the rank-and-file (if posters on this message board are any sort of representative sample).