Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Well, I think the Republicans are missing a great opportunity with the occupy movement to chip away at Obama's base. All it would take is to ratchet down the condescension and name-calling. Because at the heart of it, occupiers are protesting against an unholy alliance between big government and big business. The occupy movement is strictly anti-bailout by definition. I've pointed this out before, but there's a lot of rhetorical common ground between Sarah Palin's speech against corporate crony capitalism and the anger which is inciting these liberals.

If Republicans wanted to harness this opportunity, they would just have to take a more adult attitude of while we don't agree with how you express your anger, you are completely correct that Wall Street and the Banks are fraudulently using taxpayer money for private enterprise, and shame on the Obama administration for stealing from the People to give to these crooks who obviously couldn't survive in a free market. And then go on to make the distinction between the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and Henry Fords of the world, and hedge fund managers that took risks that supposedly justified extremely high salaries... but in the end got government to subsidize their risk with taxpayer money.

This election in 2012 will be about who can get the regular voting base of their respective party to turn out. While Republicans will never convince liberals sympathetic to the occupy movement to vote for a Republican, I think they can be convinced to not vote for Obama. This is why I don't think Republicans are actually serious about beating Obama. I think Republicans would much rather have these small little petty victories, than to grow up and have adult conversations. Republican immaturity can be seen in the party leaders, the media pundits, and indeed the rank-and-file (if posters on this message board are any sort of representative sample).
    Yeah got it, occupy good.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Yeah got it, occupy good.
    hmmm...

Yeah and so is a common way of starting a post at DU, is that where you got in the habit?
    This tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.

Well, I think the Republicans are missing a great opportunity with the occupy movement to chip away at Obama's base. All it would take is to ratchet down the condescension and name-calling. Because at the heart of it, occupiers are protesting against an unholy alliance between big government and big business. The occupy movement is strictly anti-bailout by definition. I've pointed this out before, but there's a lot of rhetorical common ground between Sarah Palin's speech against corporate crony capitalism and the anger which is inciting these liberals.

If Republicans wanted to harness this opportunity, they would just have to take a more adult attitude of while we don't agree with how you express your anger, you are completely correct that Wall Street and the Banks are fraudulently using taxpayer money for private enterprise, and shame on the Obama administration for stealing from the People to give to these crooks who obviously couldn't survive in a free market. And then go on to make the distinction between the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and Henry Fords of the world, and hedge fund managers that took risks that supposedly justified extremely high salaries... but in the end got government to subsidize their risk with taxpayer money.

This election in 2012 will be about who can get the regular voting base of their respective party to turn out. While Republicans will never convince liberals sympathetic to the occupy movement to vote for a Republican, I think they can be convinced to not vote for Obama. This is why I don't think Republicans are actually serious about beating Obama. I think Republicans would much rather have these small little petty victories, than to grow up and have adult conversations. Republican immaturity can be seen in the party leaders, the media pundits, and indeed the rank-and-file (if posters on this message board are any sort of representative sample).
    The problem with that is that the people who are actually in charge of the so-called "Occupy movement" are a bunch of communists. Sure, conservatives can get on board with "please stop fucking bailing out a bunch of Goddamned losers," but the're just not going to join a drum circle to do so.

MAYBE they could have siphoned off a little bit of the few foolish "troo believers" who were involved in Occupy when it started, but that was just a flash in the pan. Those people were simply R-U-N-N-O-F-T by the Occupiers in the first few weeks, and they're nowhere to be found these days; they've probably actually gone out and gotten jobs rather than sitting around wallowing in their own misery.

It's not fertile ground any more when it comes to voters. Voters' memories just aren't that long.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

hmmm...

This tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.
    People can go back and read your past posts as well as your present and make up their own minds.
    When you left the last time you wanted more government regulation in telecom, energy and internet, you threw a fit and left because you were being called on it. I can undelete your farewell post if you like. I honestly don't have any idea where you fit in politically other than Contrarian.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

People can go back and read your past posts as well as your present and make up their own minds.
    When you left the last time you wanted more government regulation in telecom, energy and internet, you threw a fit and left because you were being called on it. I can undelete your farewell post if you like. I honestly don't have any idea where you fit in politically other than Contrarian.
    You know I think it's something of a contradiction to make the charge that someone "leaves in a fit" but then offer to undelete my posts. People who want to leave in a fit and make a big deal out of something generally don't delete posts. I just needed a break from the echo chamber which sometimes happens here, which sadly is created by a small minority of belligerent posters that are unable to fathom a definition of conservative which differs from 2nd term Bush. And seem to stalk those who do. So I moved on to different boards for awhile.

Oppositional Defiance Disorder; ODD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposit...fiant_disorder

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    The problem with that is that the people who are actually in charge of the so-called "Occupy movement" are a bunch of communists. Sure, conservatives can get on board with "please stop fucking bailing out a bunch of Goddamned losers," but the're just not going to join a drum circle to do so.

MAYBE they could have siphoned off a little bit of the few foolish "troo believers" who were involved in Occupy when it started, but that was just a flash in the pan. Those people were simply R-U-N-N-O-F-T by the Occupiers in the first few weeks, and they're nowhere to be found these days; they've probably actually gone out and gotten jobs rather than sitting around wallowing in their own misery.

It's not fertile ground any more when it comes to voters. Voters' memories just aren't that long.
    I don't disagree with you, that we may have missed the chance on this outrage train. But fortunately, Obama keeps on doing things that are just as crazy in the eyes of liberals as conservatives. Most recent one is the Jobs Act - which literally gives the banks/wall street the authority to create exactly the same crisis we just had all over again. Stuff that nobody wants (except of course the Obama lobbyists). I have liberal friends at work, and what's interesting is how much they complain about the the Jobs Act and stuff like ACTA (which is pretty much a re-branded SOPA). So I think there's massive liberal outrage against Obama's policies.

As I said, I genuinely feel 2012 is going to be about who can energize the base. As long as the rank and file conservatives find it their solemn duty to be unnecessarily mean and nasty towards liberals for no other reason than having a good laugh at someone else's expense, all that's going to do is galvanize people who quite honestly are ready to bail on Obama. Perhaps this is a reaction to McCain's "kid gloves" approach in '08, but there is a huge difference between going after Obama's policies and this liberals are the scum of the earth blah blah business.

Just my 2c on how to beat Obama.

Just my 2c on how to beat Obama.
    There's my giggle for the day. You mean defeat Romney.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    There's my giggle for the day. You mean defeat Romney.
    let me know how that super-negative scorched earth campaign helmed by a guy with zero charisma works out for you.

And let me get this straight. First you nominate the Massachusetts moderate, then you want to run a campaign that deliberately destroys any sort of ability to reach across the aisle. yeah, great plan.

So who exactly do you intend to get excited about voting for the Republican nominee?
    Last edited by m00; 04-21-2012 at 12:04 AM.

ABO
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.