1. #1 Here comes Rita! 
    Starting 9/22/2005 I sat in my den watching tv helicopters, roadside interviewers and the people back in the studio as locals escaping the arrival of hurricane Rita clogged the highways to the point that individuals ran out of gas without advancing 100 yards down a three lane interstate highway. People were dehydrating as they ran out of water, cars were boiling over, bathroom breaks were trips through the barbed wire fence, across the access road and into the pasture and EMT's could not do a thing to get to the ill and obstensibly dying.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

It's incidents like these that make me laugh when people poke fun at my wife and I for prepping.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Why do they wait so long to evacuate?
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    Why do they wait so long to evacuate?
    That was 48 hours out......

Just three weeks after Hurricane Katrina devastated the northern Gulf Coast, the threat of yet another major hurricane prompted mass evacuations in coastal Texas. An estimated 2.5 – 3.7 million people fled prior to Rita's landfall, making it the largest evacuation in United States' history.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    That was 48 hours out......

Just three weeks after Hurricane Katrina devastated the northern Gulf Coast, the threat of yet another major hurricane prompted mass evacuations in coastal Texas. An estimated 2.5 – 3.7 million people fled prior to Rita's landfall, making it the largest evacuation in United States' history.
    So how far ahead should you all consider leaving?

I can't even imagine what it would be like here where I live. It's next to impossible to leave on a Friday afternoon to go anywhere out of town during good weather. Our freeways are parking lots.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    So how far ahead should you all consider leaving?

I can't even imagine what it would be like here where I live. It's next to impossible to leave on a Friday afternoon to go anywhere out of town during good weather. Our freeways are parking lots.
    If Katrina had not occurred or even if it did hit but the levees had held, this muck up would just not happen. The major portion of those folks would have stayed home and enjoyed some rain, nothing else. It was a knee-jerk over-reaction to the failures of mayor Nagin and governor Blanco to getting the NO folks out of harms way.
    Galveston island has a staggered schedule of evacuation that, if followed, would not cause anything like what resulted. Every single soul who was frightened hit the road at the same time and the roads could not handle it. The 'normal' reaction times would have spread that exodus across 36 hours or more.