Thread: Airport Security isn't for the faint of heart...anymore

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Good to have you back!
    Thanks Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I suppose the repeated checks are to prevent the swiss cheese effect..If Number 1, 2 and 3 miss something, maybe number 4 won't. 9/11 changed everything. It just makes traveling a hassle.

With a cruise, you show all your credentials at port once and you're good for the entire trip and any excursions only require your room card.
    The protocols are counterproductive. You aren't a threat, and after the first checkpoint, that should have been established by the fact that you are a mother travelling with a child, a US citizen and not smuggling any contraband. That's what customs checks are for. The time and resources spent making you miserable are misdirected, while the real threat receives less scrutiny.

Here's the real problem, and it goes deeper than counter terrorism or security. The people who refuse to allow photo ID checks for voting are the same people who demand everything short of a full on colonoscopy before you can get on a plane. Why? Because Progressives hate our mobile society. They hate the fact that people can hop on a plane and follow the jobs, or leave oppressive regulations. They hate freedom, and airline travel was one of the greatest symbols of American freedom. Now, it's a symbol of hassle, repression and grief.
    It was great, we had lots of fun, especially my daughter. I had a great view of the ocean and we had great weather. No complaints about the trip itself.
    Glad to hear it. Mrs. O is talking about doing a cruise next year. If you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The protocols are counterproductive. You aren't a threat, and after the first checkpoint, that should have been established by the fact that you are a mother travelling with a child, a US citizen and not smuggling any contraband. That's what customs checks are for. The time and resources spent making you miserable are misdirected, while the real threat receives less scrutiny.

Here's the real problem, and it goes deeper than counter terrorism or security. The people who refuse to allow photo ID checks for voting are the same people who demand everything short of a full on colonoscopy before you can get on a plane. Why? Because Progressives hate our mobile society. They hate the fact that people can hop on a plane and follow the jobs, or leave oppressive regulations. They hate freedom, and airline travel was one of the greatest symbols of American freedom. Now, it's a symbol of hassle, repression and grief.

Glad to hear it. Mrs. O is talking about doing a cruise next year. If you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.
    We have some nice cruises on Fort Gibson lake and you could stop and see the old fort too!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

This is the reason why my last few vacations were to places we can drive to. This year we're going to Ocean City Maryland.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

I've talked with several couples that went on an Alaskan cruise and they all thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I dunno about a cruise. I've been to the Vatican , All Saints' Church, Wittenberg Germany. Would someday like a trip to the middle East primarily Israel , Turkey , Egypt and possibly Iraq.

It's Ironic that the "Cradle of Civilization" is currently the most uncivilized spot on earth.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

There are many cruise companies out there, I've traveled on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival, they give you more for less, they are less "stuffy" and more "fun" oriented. The food and drinks are awesome, their shows are good. I'm only 2 or 3 cruises short of their VIP list where I will get free upgrades and welcome aboard gifts every time I cruise, along with VIP check in/out. Do not get an inside cabin, it will disorient you because you will not know if it's day or night. Spring for a balcony if you can, but I usually do ocean-view as I really don't spend too much time in my room, but I must have a window. Also, try to go for a newer boat. It's not a big deal as the older boats are refurbished, but nothing like cruising on a brand spankin' new ship.

Eastern Caribbean cruises are nicer than Western, but Western Caribbean is cheaper. If you can find a cruise that stops at Grand Turk, take it.....They have a great Margaritaville right off the port, no need to pay for excursions as the island is very small and everything is right at Port.

My experience is only on Caribbean cruises. I do intend on doing a European and Alaskan cruise when my midget is older. As well as a Western Mexico cruise to Cabo.

Everyone got the same treatment...a few did have to follow the "red dots" and got their bags checked...but most of us were treated like cattle, moving from one checkpoint to the other..lol

Domestic flights are easier, but still a hassle. I'm surprised airlines are still in business. Unless I absolutely must travel, I will not. I do go to NY annually to visit family and it hasn't been too bad as I fly into a small airport in Westchester County...but I will probably go less. Traveling outside of the US is just not worth the hassle. Which means the US will be the benificiary of my disposable income..including Carnival, which is a US company. I'm ok with that. There are plenty of places in the US I can visit....like Hawaii

There are many cruise companies out there, I've traveled on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival, they give you more for less, they are less "stuffy" and more "fun" oriented. The food and drinks are awesome, their shows are good. I'm only 2 or 3 cruises short of their VIP list where I will get free upgrades and welcome aboard gifts every time I cruise, along with VIP check in/out. Do not get an inside cabin, it will disorient you because you will not know if it's day or night. Spring for a balcony if you can, but I usually do ocean-view as I really don't spend too much time in my room, but I must have a window. Also, try to go for a newer boat. It's not a big deal as the older boats are refurbished, but nothing like cruising on a brand spankin' new ship.

Eastern Caribbean cruises are nicer than Western, but Western Caribbean is cheaper. If you can find a cruise that stops at Grand Turk, take it.....They have a great Margaritaville right off the port, no need to pay for excursions as the island is very small and everything is right at Port.

My experience is only on Caribbean cruises. I do intend on doing a European and Alaskan cruise when my midget is older. As well as a Western Mexico cruise to Cabo.
    Glad you had a good time. Were you able to go outside the resort? A couple of years ago my ex-company had an awards trip to Jamaica. I heard they stayed within the confines of the resort and had guards with machine guns around the perimeter. I'm not sure if they were kidding me, trying to make me feel better as I just missed winning the trip, or telling me the truth.

I've cruised on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and some God awful thing called the Seawind (or Seaweed Crown as we called it after being stuck on it for a week). These were all sales award trips so I had no say in where we went, but that horrible old ship had the best itinerary in the Easter Carib. That ship wasn't big on stabilizers or decent food. The others were much nicer, but insisted on guys wearing a tux. That wasn't my idea of a vacation, too stuffy.

Just glad you got back safely.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

View from my balcony

the Midget

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Glad you had a good time. Were you able to go outside the resort? A couple of years ago my ex-company had an awards trip to Jamaica. I heard they stayed within the confines of the resort and had guards with machine guns .
    I stayed within the confines of the resort except one day I walked to the Craft Market which was a few minutes walking distance from the hotel, and what a mistake that was. They hound you to buy things and you have to barter with them. I felt bad for them and I bought some souvenirs, but got out of there quick. It was sad walking through town. Bars on the windows and stray dogs everywhere. The dogs looked well fed though, so there must be getting good scraps somewhere.