Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I stayed within the confines of the resort except one day I walked to the Craft Market which was a few minutes walking distance from the hotel, and what a mistake that was. They hound you to buy things and you have to barter with them. I felt bad for them and I bought some souvenirs, but got out of there quick. It was sad walking through town. Bars on the windows and stray dogs everywhere. The dogs looked well fed though, so there must be getting good scraps somewhere.
    That's what I remember most about the Carib---those endless beggars. On one trip I swore they called to the next stop on the little ship-sponsored tour to say there was a sucker coming. I got more junky bead necklaces because they wouldn't leave me alone. Same thing happened to me in Africa. That's why I like Hawaii.

The pics you posted are gorgeous.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is the reason why my last few vacations were to places we can drive to. This year we're going to Ocean City Maryland.
    Sounds nice!

There are many cruise companies out there, I've traveled on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival, they give you more for less, they are less "stuffy" and more "fun" oriented. The food and drinks are awesome, their shows are good. I'm only 2 or 3 cruises short of their VIP list where I will get free upgrades and welcome aboard gifts every time I cruise, along with VIP check in/out. Do not get an inside cabin, it will disorient you because you will not know if it's day or night. Spring for a balcony if you can, but I usually do ocean-view as I really don't spend too much time in my room, but I must have a window. Also, try to go for a newer boat. It's not a big deal as the older boats are refurbished, but nothing like cruising on a brand spankin' new ship.

Eastern Caribbean cruises are nicer than Western, but Western Caribbean is cheaper. If you can find a cruise that stops at Grand Turk, take it.....They have a great Margaritaville right off the port, no need to pay for excursions as the island is very small and everything is right at Port.

My experience is only on Caribbean cruises. I do intend on doing a European and Alaskan cruise when my midget is older. As well as a Western Mexico cruise to Cabo.
    A cruise sounds fun and I might take one some day. Living in Illinois I did not live as close to a major airport so the deals are better here. I doubt I would want to take a cruise alone so I would have to find the right person to take one with. That is the difficult part. The money and time off work is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    That's what I remember most about the Carib---those endless beggars. On one trip I swore they called to the next stop on the little ship-sponsored tour to say there was a sucker coming. I got more junky bead necklaces because they wouldn't leave me alone. Same thing happened to me in Africa. That's why I like Hawaii.

The pics you posted are gorgeous.
    I try not to make eye contact with the beggars. Which is hard when they are at every angle!

My parents walked into Mexico once (leaving the RV in Arizona) and they were hit hard with people selling them stuff...but they did end up getting a good deal on some gold jewlery. (Yes, it was real) But the guys trying to serenade them as they ate some fantastic mexican food really butchered some Elvis songs.. This was pre-passport days and my dad knew where to go for medication, etc and saved quite a bit of money. He even had a spare pair of glasses made.

, only got groped once(and it wasn't bad)
    Is this good or bad news?

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I try not to make eye contact with the beggars. Which is hard when they are at every angle!

My parents walked into Mexico once (leaving the RV in Arizona) and they were hit hard with people selling them stuff...but they did end up getting a good deal on some gold jewlery. (Yes, it was real) But the guys trying to serenade them as they ate some fantastic mexican food really butchered some Elvis songs.. This was pre-passport days and my dad knew where to go for medication, etc and saved quite a bit of money. He even had a spare pair of glasses made.
    Those were the good old days. I lived in San Antonio for 7 years and often went across the border. But when I was returning to St Louis, I ended up buying some pots and various things at the Mexican market in San Antonio. My friend's husband, who was in the military, warned the two of us not to go into Mexico.

A friend in St Louis is an international customer service rep for a company in St Louis. One of the representatives of a large client gets medications for her there that she uses for her dogs at a fraction of the price. She's never had a problem, but I guess that guy goes to a legitimate pharmacy.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Is this good or bad news?
    I wonder if she got dinner first?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I wonder if she got dinner first?
    It was a big black woman.

There were some hawt latin men in Customs though...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    You don't think In bounds from a foreign country should have to show passports ?
    It is absolutely correct to check inbound visitors' passports--once. If you are doing it more than once, you are doing it wrong. Is it correct to accept everything your government demands of you?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

I suppose the repeated checks are to prevent the swiss cheese effect..If Number 1, 2 and 3 miss something, maybe number 4 won't.
    What about number 4? Should there not be a number 5? Or 6? Or...?

9/11 changed everything.
    I can assure you that it did. How's that change looking to you?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers