Hank Aaron hits first home run of his MLB career, 1954
    Vietnam War

Ford says that war is finished for America, 1975

World War I
    Poet-soldier Rupert Brooke dies in Greece, 1915

World War II
    Germans begin "Baedeker Raids" on England, 1942
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Power CUer
    Who is "Davis", 1865?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Who is "Davis", 1865?
    Jeff

Confederate President Jefferson Davis writes to his wife, Varina, of the desperate situating facing the Confederates.

"Panic has seized the country," he wrote to his wife in Georgia. Davis was in Charlotte, North Carolina, on his flight away from Yankee troops. It was three weeks since Davis had fled the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia, as Union troops were overrunning the trenches nearby. Davis and his government headed west to Danville, Virginia, in hopes of reestablishing offices there. When Confederate General Robert E. Lee was forced to surrender his army at Appomattox Court House, Virginia, on April 9, Davis and his officials traveled south in hopes of connecting with the last major Confederate army, the force of General Joseph Johnston. Johnston, then in North Carolina, was himself in dire straits, as General William T. Sherman's massive force was bearing down.

Davis continued to his wife, "The issue is one which it is very painful for me to meet. On one hand is the long night of oppression which will follow the return of our people to the 'Union'; on the other, the suffering of the women and children, and carnage among the few brave patriots who would still oppose the invader." The Davis' were reunited a few days later as the president continued to flee and continue the fight. Two weeks later, Union troops finally captured the Confederate president in northern Georgia. Davis was charged with treason, but never tried. In 1889, he died at age 81.
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...y-writes-davis
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Power CUer
    OK. Just seemed odd that the citation from history.com would only give a last name.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    OK. Just seemed odd that the citation from history.com would only give a last name.
    When you brought it up I thought the same thing, good help is hard to find!

1892 - A group of Fort Worth women received a Texas charter establishing the Fort Worth Public Library Association. A part of the stated purpose was "the accumulation of paintings and artistic work of every character for the enjoyment and cultivation of our people." The resulting gallery, after several name changes, became the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth in 1987.

1936 - Musician Roy Orbison was born in Vernon, TX.

1942 - In Texas, Kenedy Alien Detention Camp began receiving prisoners. It housed more than 3,500 Japanese, German and other foreign nationals during WWII.

1962 - Duane Eddy performed "Deep in the Heart of Texas" on "American Bandstand."

1965 - The Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs beat Albuquerque before 7,231 in the first game at Turnpike Stadium. (minor league baseball)
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.