Thread: Aquariums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Live rock? Are you talking undergravel filtration?

I kept community freshwater tanks for about 25 years, been through many systems. I swear by the undergravel filters and the 10% weekly changes.

The vinegar washing of accessories is by far the best and cheapest way to keep things clean.
    Nope. For saltwater, under gravel/crushed coral filtration has been out of style for over a decade. Even if you vacuum it weekly you'll experience deitrus and nitrate buildup. Corals and a good number of saltwater fish really struggle to thrive under those conditions.

I'm referring to actual broken rocks gathered from actual reefs in foreign countries. Like this: http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supply/Liverock.html

It's really porous and filled with beneficial bacteria that will actually filter your water through the nitrogen cycle. Additionally it often brings a host of hitchhikers to your aquarium. Small Copepods (essentially aquatic bugs that fish love), star fish, worms, sponges , corals, crabs, and even more exotic surprises... Not always good though. It's also usually covered in colorful coralline algae, the hard colorful (typically blue) crust that covers most things in a tropical reef.
    Last edited by Artois; 04-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    Nope. For saltwater, under gravel/crushed coral filtration has been out of style for over a decade. Even if you vacuum it weekly you'll experience deitrus and nitrate buildup. Corals and a good number of saltwater fish really struggle to thrive under those conditions.

I'm referring to actual broken rocks gathered from actual reefs in foreign countries. Like this: http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supply/Liverock.html

It's really porous and filled with beneficial bacteria that will actually filter your water through the nitrogen cycle. Additionally it often brings a host of hitchhikers to your aquarium. Small Copepods (essentially aquatic bugs that fish love), star fish, worms, sponges , corals, crabs, and even more exotic surprises... Not always good though. It's also usually covered in colorful coralline algae, the hard colorful (typically blue) crust that covers most things in a tropical reef.
    Heh. No wonder I never heard of it, I didn't have the guts to attempt saltwater tanks I never ran into the problems with undergravel filtration that you mentioned. maybe it was the way I cleaned my tank...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Heh. No wonder I never heard of it, I didn't have the guts to attempt saltwater tanks I never ran into the problems with undergravel filtration that you mentioned. maybe it was the way I cleaned my tank...
    It's perfectly fine for freshwater and even doable, albeit not advisable, for some salt water fish. Although its still a good idea to vacuum the deitrus out regularly. A lot of saltwater critters are just too susceptible to any nitrate readings to thrive with one though, even when at barely detectable levels - without the real pricey test kits.