Thread: Democrats plan bill to undo Arizona immigration law if it is upheld by court

1. #1 Democrats plan bill to undo Arizona immigration law if it is upheld by court 
    By Rosalind S. Helderman, Updated: Monday, April 23, 7:00 PM

Senate Democrats are making plans to force a floor vote on legislation that would invalidate Arizona’s controversial immigration statute if the Supreme Court upholds the law this summer.
    Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) will announce the fallback legislation at a hearing on the Arizona law Tuesday, a day before the Supreme Court hears oral arguments in a suit to determine whether Arizona had the authority to enact the 2010 state crackdown.
    The legislation would have little chance of passing in a stalemated Senate or being approved by a GOP-held House, but it would allow Democrats to push their electoral advantage with Latino voters just as the presidential campaign heats up in July.

The plan is to allow Democrats a route to express displeasure with the Arizona law if the court allows it to stand, and it would force Republicans to take a clear position on the law during the height of the presidential campaign. The immigration law is deeply unpopular with Latino voters, who could be key to the outcome of the presidential and Senate races in several Western states.
    “If the court upholds the Arizona law, Congress can make it clear that what Arizona is doing goes beyond what the federal government and what Congress ever intended,” Schumer said in an interview.

He called the Arizona law an “assault on the domain of the federal government” that Congress will need to address if the court allows it to stand.

As chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s subcommittee on immigration, Schumer will hold a hearing Tuesday on the impact of the Arizona law. The state senator who wrote the statute will appear, as will opponents of the law. Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R), the law’s chief proponent, was invited but declined to attend.
    Read More>http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...rc=al_politics
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

"an assault on the domain of the Federal governmenet"? Yeah ok.... I guess some people are forgeting the ruling Justice Rehnquist made years back in Muehler v. Mena stating that law enforcement did not need ANY probable cause to ask a person for their citizenship status. So sorry the Democrats are going to lose some votoers, well... no I'm not.

Not big on Wikipedia but here is a summary of Muehler v M
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

I'm fairly certain that the Obama admin knows they won't get far in the SCOTUS in defeating the Arizona law. I'm also fairly certain why they are pursuing this course regardless. Let's see... Hillary said there was a "war on women". Jesse insinuated there was a "war on African-Americans". Check off patronizing the Latino population; okay, which voter group is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the Obama admin knows they won't get far in the SCOTUS in defeating the Arizona law. I'm also fairly certain why they are pursuing this course regardless. Let's see... Hillary said there was a "war on women". Jesse insinuated there was a "war on African-Americans". Check off patronizing the Latino population; okay, which voter group is next?
    The War on Men? I think it is the only thing not covered yet
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Fabulous Poster
    The immigration law is deeply unpopular with Latino voters,

Perhaps it's not the Republicans or the Democrats who need to be put on the hot seat, rather "the" Latino voters? Citizens who oppose immigration enforcement are what I call "residents"- they are not Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The immigration law is deeply unpopular with Latino voters,

Perhaps it's not the Republicans or the Democrats who need to be put on the hot seat, rather "the" Latino voters? Citizens who oppose immigration enforcement are what I call "residents"- they are not Americans.
    It is all part of the patriotism is bad philosophy they try to sell today, we are all world citizens crap!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is all part of the patriotism is bad philosophy they try to sell today, we are all world citizens crap!
    So long as there is a right and left, there will always be a citizens of the wsorld mentality.

I lived in Tucson, Arizona for three years and I must say the DOJ and POTUS know nothing of what they speak.

Power Point Ranger

America’s Other Immigration Problem

This week’s U.S. Supreme Court argument about the constitutionality of the Arizona immigration law is a classic showdown on states’ rights. Arizona argues that it has the right to impose identification checks and other measures within its sovereign borders, while the federal government argues that immigration policy ought not to be patchwork. But immigration policy is not merely patchwork across U.S. states—with so-called immigration havens in New York and draconian laws in Arizona and Alabama—it is patchwork with respect to countries as well.

Many countries sending immigrants to the United States—and asking that America welcome those immigrants—themselves have policies that discourage Americans from moving there. This is a profound unfairness at the heart of our immigration policy, and one that almost no one acknowledges. The first step to domestic immigration reform may be overturning the restrictions that other nations, including Mexico, place on American immigration to their countries.

More at Slate.com

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.