Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Anti-Defamation League rips Urban Outfitters for Star of David look-alike shirt 
    PAINFULLY UNHIP

Anti-Defamation League rips Urban Outfitters for Star of David look-alike shirt

By Alex Dickinson Monday, April 23, 2012

PHOTO:urbanoutfitters.com

The $100 T-shirt was called “extremely distasteful and offensive.”

Urban Outfitters intends to ride out the controversy over its newest garment — a T-shirt imprinted with a symbol that resembles a Star of David, which Jews had to wear in Nazi Europe.

The trendy fashion chain is under fire from the Anti-Defamation League for its $100 “Wood Wood Kellog Tee” because the patch on the left breast pocket looks like the yellow Star of David, which Adolf Hitler used to mark Jews for persecution and extermination during World War II. Six million Jews died in the Holocaust.

“We find this use of symbolism to be extremely distasteful and offensive and are outraged that your company would make this product available to your customers,” league regional director Barry Morrison wrote to Urban Outfitters CEO Richard Hayne.

The league demanded Urban Outfitters stop selling the shirt and issue an apology for its insensitivity. The shirt was still for sale on the chain’s website last night. Urban Outfitters did not return requests from The Daily for comment.

In his letter, released Thursday on Holocaust Remembrance Day, Morrison called the T-shirt “a new low” for Urban Outfitters. He wrote: “The League has communicated with Urban Outfitters on numerous occasions over the years regarding a variety of projects that have, ‘tread on the feelings and reinforced stereotypes of various groups — Christians, blacks, and Irish, Mexican, and Jewish-Americans … the list goes on’ .”

Last month, Rep. Joseph Crowley, D-N.Y., criticized the chain for a range of Irish-themed clothing with such slogans as “Kiss Me I’m Drunk, Or Irish, Or Whatever” and “Irish I Were Drunk.” One figure of a person vomiting
    came with the slogan: “Irish yoga.

The Navajo Nation sued Urban Outfitters this year over clothing and accessories that resemble traditional garb.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/04...ntroversy-1-1/

------------------------------------------------------------
    What's next? Zyklon B shower gel?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Meanwhile, the fact that these goniffs are selling a t shirt for $100 passes under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Meanwhile, the fact that these goniffs are selling a t shirt for $100 passes under the radar.
    Had to look up and see what a goniff was....

I wouldn't think they are selling very many of them; most of their Tees are priced at 25 bucks or so.
    But since they did price it at 100$, surely you don't think that is anyone's business but their own. Price controls on Tee shirts? No.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Had to look up and see what a goniff was....

I wouldn't think they are selling very many of them; most of their Tees are priced at 25 bucks or so.
    But since they did price it at 100$, surely you don't think that is anyone's business but their own. Price controls on Tee shirts? No.
    A goniff is not necessarily breaking the law. It's largely an invective.

Sorry, don't see the correlation. In fact, the star on the concentration camp cap looks more like a sheriff's badge:

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That was my first thought. Then I thought what the hell if anyone is stupid enough to pay that price for a $4 garment more power to them.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

There were a number of different patterns.

Here are a couple of versions of what was worn in the camps:

This version was worn in Germany prior to the deportations:

The placement of the star on the left side of the chest on the bright yellow background is pretty obviously meant to evoke the stars worn during the Holocaust.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I can understand The outcry to a certain extent. Then again I know a couple Concentration camp survivors that still carry the Tattooed numbers on their arm as a sign of rememberance to never forget the tragedies carried out by the Nazis.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    There were a number of different patterns.

Here are a couple of versions of what was worn in the camps:

This version was worn in Germany prior to the deportations:

The placement of the star on the left side of the chest on the bright yellow background is pretty obviously meant to evoke the stars worn during the Holocaust.
    Sorry, Ody, but I think it's a real stretch to connect the Magen David with what, to me at least, is clearly this:

I think perhaps someone tied their Tefillin too tight.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Fabulous Poster
    South African Urban Outfitters