Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The "Me" Philiosophy 
    Banned
    So someone said something in one of the gay marriage threads about how the "Me" philosophy is way too prevalent nowadays. Was just wondering if there's anybody else here who thinks that the Me Philosophy in and of itself is actually a good thing and maybe we should actually have more of it.

And by the Me Philosophy I mean worrying about yourself and your own before you worry about others. Not saying you should be a selfish, uncaring asshole btw

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    So someone said something in one of the gay marriage threads about how the "Me" philosophy is way too prevalent nowadays. Was just wondering if there's anybody else here who thinks that the Me Philosophy in and of itself is actually a good thing and maybe we should actually have more of it.

And by the Me Philosophy I mean worrying about yourself and your own before you worry about others. Not saying you should be a selfish, uncaring asshole btw
    I've been saying this for years. We now live in a ME society. What that means is that most people, it seems, want to do what they want to do, other's be damned. For example, we've all had this. You go to a movie theater and there's always at least 1 or 2 idiots who want to talk through the whole movie and if you dare to say something, they act like you're putting them out. Or let me give you another example, I was in a deli line one day, one of those rare one's that didn't have one of those little ticket things. Well, it was crowded but not banging crowded. I was 3rd in line when this older guy comes in, you know the type, the one's who act like they own the place and stands there when one of the counter help asks who was next and he jumped up and said he was next. Uh huh. I don't let that crap go and told the clerk who was really next(this older woman). This guy, it seemed, thought we were all waiting there in line for him to jump in front of us. He's lucky I didn't belt him. But the basic philosophy these days is "what I wanna do when I wanna do it".
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It can be a good way of life if done properly. i think of Hank Rearden in Atlas Shrugged. He wanted to be rich, he made a business. That is an example. The problem is we are now moving into a "What are you going to do for me" Philosophy with all the damn social programs and lack of interest from a lot of people to try and make anything of themselves.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

I'm the poster to which you are refering to, and no, we need less of the "me" philosphy. People voting for or against laws based on how it affects them directly instead of society as a whole. Al gore and his "carbon footprint" thievery. Twits that go around saying, "There ought to be a law against.." The #Occutards, Sandra Flock, politicians in general, enviroweenies are prime examples of what is wrong with the "me" only way of thinking.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    It can be a good way of life if done properly. i think of Hank Rearden in Atlas Shrugged. He wanted to be rich, he made a business. That is an example. The problem is we are now moving into a "What are you going to do for me" Philosophy with all the damn social programs and lack of interest from a lot of people to try and make anything of themselves.
    That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Ayn Rand has had a huge influence on my life. Funny enough, I didn't really care for Atlas Shrugged as a novel. I thought it was just poorly written. The philosophy behind it however is the basis for my own personal worldview

On edit: I'm hardly one of the prime movers Ayn Rand was talking about in that book, but I work hard and I feel entitled to what I work for.
    Last edited by Deadhead; 04-26-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I'm the poster to which you are refering to, and no, we need less of the "me" philosphy. People voting for or against laws based on how it affects them directly instead of society as a whole. Al gore and his "carbon footprint" thievery. Twits that go around saying, "There ought to be a law against.." The #Occutards, Sandra Flock, politicians in general, enviroweenies are prime examples of what is wrong with the "me" only way of thinking.
    Ah yes, that was you wasn't it. You were referring to gay marriage by this. I'm sorry, but two men getting married, paying a mortage, and possibly raising a child isn't going to bring about the downfall of western civilization. You wanna talk about the sanctity of marriage, how about we talk about vain, shallow celebrities like Kim Kardashian and others like her treating marriage as a joke. I agree with you, marriage has been ruined in this country, but it wasn't the gays that did it. It was a mix of celebrity and pop culture. I know you're opposed to it for religious reasons, but as someone who grew up ambivalent toward the idea of religion, I fail to see your religious sensibilities as sufficient enough reason to deny a group of people the same privileges that heterosexuals enjoy

Everything else you mentioned however is solid. Especially environmentalists. I have no problem with private corporations making the latest breakthroughs in the name of environmental science. Hell, some of the things they've come up with are absolutely amazing. But please keep my tax dollars out of it. If I believe in the cause, I'll donate myself

On edit: I'm not trying to insult your religion, I've known alot of wonderful Christians myself. But I just cannot understand why people take what was in a book written thousands of years ago in a completely different time and culture so damn seriously. I mean yea, there's some good nuggets of wisdom in there, but as something to place blind faith in to the point where you think everybody who doesn't believe the same as you is not only wrong but is going to hell for all eternity? Really?
    Last edited by Deadhead; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 AM.

I'm sorry, but two men getting married, paying a mortage, and possibly raising a child isn't going to bring about the downfall of western civilization.
    It's not about that and you know it. If it were...gay activists would be content with civil unions and go on their merry way.

What they want to do is completely destroy thousands of years of what a marriage has been defined as and insert their own queer eye version.

They want to force churches religious institutions and every one who doesn't accept their alternate lifestyle to treat them as normal and their behavior as accepted.

And it's clearly not by a majority of the American people.

So what you have yet again is a small (2-5%) of the population trying to force their views on life down the collective throat of Americans who disagree with them.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

That is what I call "self interests". Its not the same as "selfishness".

But that is how the left perverts language against us.

'Self interest' is a good thing. Its what this nation was founded on... before nanny state big brother became all the rage amongst the uninformed, ill-informed, the ignorant, the parasites, the moochers and the looters amongst us. They refer to 'self interest' as selfishness. But there is a clear difference .. for people with half a brain.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

There is nothing wrong with doing for oneself. It's human nature in regard to self preservation. It's another thing when "me" means entitlement to other people's money...ie Obama and librats view of taxation and wealth distribution.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    It's not about that and you know it. If it were...gay activists would be content with civil unions and go on their merry way.

What they want to do is completely destroy thousands of years of what a marriage has been defined as and insert their own queer eye version.
    If you wanna go down this route and talk about marriage in its original form, love had nothing to do with it. It was simply a trade agreement to gain land, power, etc.