Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens 
    As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.”

The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.”
    Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference.

Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. But it turned into an episode of Christian-bashing.

Rick Tuttle, the journalism advisor for Sutter Union High School in California, was among several thousand people in the audience. He said they thought the speech was one thing – but it turned into something else.

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

Tuttle said a number of his students were offended by Savage’s remarks – and some decided to leave the auditorium.

“It became hostile,” he said. “It felt hostile as we were sitting in the audience – especially towards Christians who espouse beliefs that he was literally taking on.”

Tuttle said the speech was laced with vulgarities and “sexual innuendo not appropriate for this age group.” At one point, he said Savage told the teenagers about how good his partner looked in a speedo.

The conservative website CitizenLink was the first to report about the controversy. They interviewed a 17-year-old girl who was one of students who walked out of the auditorium.

“The first thing he told the audience was, ‘I hope you’re all using birth control,’” she told CitizenLink. “he said there are people using the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying, because it says in Leviticus and Romans that being gay is wrong. Right after that, he said we can ignore all the (expletive deleted) in the Bible.”

As the teenagers were walking out, Tuttle said that Savage heckled them and called them “pansy asses.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ian-teens.html
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Some people were just never intended to be motivational speakers, it seems.

Banned
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Savage is right by saying that some people use the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying. My boss is gay and her, her wife, and her daughter have all been on the receiving end of a fundamentalist christian condemning their wicked,sinful lifestyle of like....raising a child and paying a mortgage and doing all the things that normal people do

However, Dan Savage, imo, is counterproductive to his own cause. It is shit like this mentioned in the article that marginalizes him to the point where only the kind of people who tune into Bill Maher's show every Friday night will take him seriously. Standing up for for somebody being bullied is one thing, but there's no reason to be childish and petty about it.

One last thing, his google bombing of Santorum is still pretty damn funny. And the reason I find it funny is because Rick Santorum can fight back, he's in a position of power. Not quite the case when say, Bill Maher or Wonkette or whoever has fun at the expense of Trig Palin or whatnot

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Gee why am I not surprised? A liberal anti-bullying activist, using bullying tactics to beat up on people he disagrees with - and CHILDREN no less.

Typical
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Savage is right by saying that some people use the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying. My boss is gay and her, her wife, and her daughter have all been on the receiving end of a fundamentalist christian condemning their wicked,sinful lifestyle of like....raising a child and paying a mortgage and doing all the things that normal people do

However, Dan Savage, imo, is counterproductive to his own cause. It is shit like this mentioned in the article that marginalizes him to the point where only the kind of people who tune into Bill Maher's show every Friday night will take him seriously. Standing up for for somebody being bullied is one thing, but there's no reason to be childish and petty about it.

One last thing, his google bombing of Santorum is still pretty damn funny. And the reason I find it funny is because Rick Santorum can fight back, he's in a position of power. Not quite the case when say, Bill Maher or Wonkette or whoever has fun at the expense of Trig Palin or whatnot
    ^^ This...

And you wonder why people here think you're an idiot.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Fabulous Poster
    "People often point out that 'They can't help it. They can't help with the anti-gay bullying." because it says right there in the Bible, it says right there in Leviticus, Timothy, Romans.... (At this point a girl gets up and leaves) We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people; the same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, (a boy gets up and walks out) about dinner, about menstruation, about farming, about virginity, about masturbation, (another girl and boy get up and walks, crowd is cheering). We ignore bullshit in the Bible about all sorts of things. (about 12 people walk out en mass). The Bible is radically pro-slavery. Slave owners waved the Bible over their heads in the Civil War and justified it. (another group is walking out) The shortest book in the New Testament is a letter from Paul to a Christian slave owner, who owns Christian slaves. ..... We ignore what the Bible says about slavery wrong. Sam Harris in Letter To A Christian Nation points out that the Bible got the easiest moral question that humanity has ever faced: Wrong. The Bible says that if a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night, she shall be dragged to her father's doorstep and stoned to death. (dumbfounded look) Calista Gingrinch lives. And there is no effort to amend state constitutions to make it illegal to stone women on their wedding night if they are not virgins.... at least not yet; we don't know where the GOP is going these days. People are dying because people can't clear this one last hurdle. They can't get past this one last thing in the Bible., the Bible and sexuality.

Um, so one thing I want to talk about (chuckles and points to the back of the room) , so you cant tell the Bible guys in the hall that they can come back now, 'cause I'm done beating up on the Bible. It's funny as someone who's on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible, how pansied assed some people react when pushed back. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, but I have a right to defend myself, and to point out the hypocrisy of people who try to justify anti-gay bigotry by pointing to the Bible, and insisting that we must live by the code of Leviticus on this one issue and no other."

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Gee why am I not surprised? A liberal anti-bullying activist, using bullying tactics to beat up on people he disagrees with - and CHILDREN no less.

Typical
    Read the transcript I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Read the transcript I made.
    So by your logic, blacks should then be allowed to go around lynching whites.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    ^^ This...

And you wonder why people here think you're an idiot.
    Yea, well, that's just like, your opinion man

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    So by your logic, blacks should then be allowed to go around lynching whites.
    Um...what?