Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    To be giving a lecture on evils of bullying and then proceeding to bully members of his audience simply because they believe other than he does puts him in the same category has the people he despises.

Yeah, that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I'm not disputing Savage's right to comment. I'm taking issue with the way he chose to do it and the venue that he used. To be giving a lecture on evils of bullying and then proceeding to bully members of his audience simply because they believe other than he does puts him in the same category as the people he despises. From what I've read of Mr. Savage and his behavior in public I guess organizers of this event should have expected something like this. He seems to operate on the same philosophy that drove Harris and Klebold (minus the semi automatic weapons); revenge by being worse that the people who attacked him.

As for the protests after prop 8... well some where protests and they have that right, however some were gang attacks on people that simply voiced their opinion. Some where legitimate uses of the first amendment and others where temper tantrums thrown by groups of individuals who didn't get their way. How are they any different than the people who destroy a section of their home team because their sports team lost?

When the enactment of Prop was stopped by the court, I don't recall a lot of Christian groups protesting in the streets and threatening gay people as they gathered for other unrelated activities. There is however, video on Youtube of a prayer group being harassed simply because the were Christians and were out on a prayer walk that they had been doing for years and had nothing to do with Prop 8.

My point on all of this is that both sides could and should behave better when dealing with moral values that are at odds. To do things that polarize the other side does not help either side achieve an acceptable compromise. All it breeds is distrust when trust needs to be built. Dan Savage and those like him are people who are too angry to be useful to your cause and is not that much different that the people of Westbro Baptist Church.
    I don't have a problem with Savage when he is appearing on Bill Maher's show. I have to wonder who thought that he was an appropriate speaker for high school students? His column is graphically descriptive, for one thing. There are far more respectable gay people who can speak about bullying, as can nerds. Our governor, a self-proclaimed nerd, gave a speech about bullying before he signed the bill about it into law, and stated that he had been bullied as a kid for being a nerd. Band and Orchestra geeks get bullied, too, as do "4 eyes", "braceface", "fat kid", and every other kid who doesn't fit what is perceived as normal in his school.

But you are right-Savage behaved like a bully, which is something he was supposed to be decrying at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    This thread reminds me of the Celebrity Apprentice. Aubrey O'Day is one of the most hated, self-righteous, arrogant bully that's been on CA in a long time. She tries to bully all the others on her team and treats them like crap. Her charity is GLSEN, an anti-bullying organization. But as we find out more about GLSEN, it's mainly about gay bullying.
    First they hijack the rainbow, now all anti-bullying platforms. Seriously gays, it's not all about YOU.
    Speaking of it.

As predicted, Aubrey O'Day had merely taken a breather from "The Celebrity Apprentice" after her boardroom spat with Arsenio Hall. "I got bullied by Arsenio and Clay (Aiken)," she tells us, "but I came back for GLSEN, which is my charity.
    She has had spat with another gay person, Clay Aiken. Well, he is a gay Christian, so he is no longer considered gay by some.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/i...e_recap_3.html
    Last edited by RedGrouse; 05-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGrouse View Post
    Speaking of it.

She has had spat with another gay person, Clay Aiken. Well, he is a gay Christian, so he is no longer considered gay by some.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/i...e_recap_3.html
    I actually like Clay Aiken. I hope he wins. He's gay, but he's a Texan. He's been the smartest of the group, so far.

Clay Aiken's charity, btw, is the National Inclusion Project which helps kids with disabilities. But the usual liberal blowhards on the show picked some sort of charity that benefits the gays...it's their way to show how hip they are.

He also founded this charity. How smart is he?? I hope he wins this year. He's gay, and while he jokes about it on the show, he's not just about his sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No. You can't do that. That's cafeteria christianity. That is precisely what Savage is talking about.
    So Christian churches that actively support gays are "cafeteria" Christians?

First Lutheran Church

I'd be careful about alienating good hearted people who think love is the center of Christianity.