Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Name that purse!! 
    Just wondering, is the choice of a woman's purse regional? When I worked and lived in St Louis, Dooney & Burke and Coach bags seemed to be most popular.

Now that I'm in Florida, I'd estimate at least 70% or higher of the women (at least the ones who live here) carry either a Vera Bradley cloth quilted purse or a knock-off of Vera Bradley. I've noted that with the female volunteers at Mote Marine, at the shopping malls, in restaurants, etc.

It's a different world here. There's an Amish place called Troyer's Dutch Heritage (think they're changing their name soon but I can't begin to figure out why you'd change the name of a virtual institution here). It is an enormous restaurant serving Amish food, what else? They have a large gift shop on the second floor. That seems to be the favorite place for the local women to get the latest edition of the Vera Bradley purse and accessories.

Is there a trend toward a favorite type purse where you live?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

In South Florida, the trend is similar to the North East, Coach is still hot here. I won't spend that kind of money on Coach. I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.
    One day, I may treat myself to a Dooney and Burke as they make nice leather as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.
    Do Italian cows moo with an accent?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Do Italian cows moo with an accent?
    Not unless they want cement shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    In South Florida, the trend is similar to the North East, Coach is still hot here. I won't spend that kind of money on Coach. I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.
    One day, I may treat myself to a Dooney and Burke as they make nice leather as well.
    I have't used the couple of Dooneys that I have since I moved here. One of them is a good sized giraffe print, but it just seems too heavy and more of a winter purse----and it has only been cold here a couple days this year.

Coach seems to be the alternate purse of choice in SW Florida.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

Power CUer
    Coach used to have classic traditional bags that were beautiful, and I had a few of them. These days they have the garish logo stuff, but you can still order the classic bags; they just don't show them in the stores because they don't appeal to younger buyers.
    My mother had a beautiful Hermes bag, which she carried for decades. I like their small Clou de Selle bag, but I would never go for a Birkin bag. The cheapest one is about $10,000, and I've never liked a bag so much that I'd pay that kind of money for it. The Kelly bag is better, but also a ridiculous price.

Around here, Tory Burch bags are very popular. Again, I'm not crazy about them. I'm more the Ralph Lauren type.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

This brand (Paul's Boutique) is incredibly popular with the very young here. I don't think older people can be doing with so many logos and dangling accessories, I'd be tempted to get the scissors out.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    My mother had a beautiful Hermes bag, which she carried for decades. I like their small Clou de Selle bag, but I would never go for a Birkin bag. The cheapest one is about $10,000, and I've never liked a bag so much that I'd pay that kind of money for it. The Kelly bag is better, but also a ridiculous price.
    10K for a bag? Maybe if you're JLO...

I'd spend 10k on a down payment on real estate though.

I used to carry a camo-look purse when my son was in Iraq, but I found a Relic purse at the thrift store I work at for $3. I've seen them at Kohl's and Sears so I knew that wasn't a bad price hehe. If I had $10,000 to spend on a purse I would just hire someone to carry my stuff around for me.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I used to carry a camo-look purse when my son was in Iraq, but I found a Relic purse at the thrift store I work at for $3. I've seen them at Kohl's and Sears so I knew that wasn't a bad price hehe. If I had $10,000 to spend on a purse I would just hire someone to carry my stuff around for me.
    Sounds like a good buy on that purse. I bought a Vera Bradley messenger bag at the Women's Exchange. It retails for about $90 and I got it for $19. That's still too much to pay at a consignment shop. I got a nice real Burberry plaid checkbook cover there for $8.

And I also would never spend big bucks on a purse. I worked with a woman who travelled quite a bit. She had a new Chanel purse that was very expensive. The chain and leather strap got caught somehow in the phone station area at the airport. She couldn't get it out. The guy who was travelling with her from the same company was a real jerk. She kept calling begging him to help. He finally came up and was going to take a knife to try to cut it.

She panicked and I guess the adrenalin kicked in. She got it loose somehow. And within a month he was reporting to her. Within a couple months he was no longer with the company.

Moral---don't ever mess with a woman's expensive purse (or refuse to help in a purse crisis).

"