Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I buy my purses at Macys, DSW or Target, for the most part. I have a navy purse I bought at Hudsons (which was bought by Marshall Fields, which was bought by Macys) in the early 90s that I probably paid $50 bucks for and is still in good shape. I've probably gone through 10 pairs of blue shoes since then.

I recently bought a new black purse at Macys because I was getting sick of replacing the ones from Target every year. It was Style & CO and on sale, so I paid $20 for it.

I was looking at The Rack for purses, and I couldn't believe that even on sale, the purses are priced for the most part in the $200 range.

Some of my friends have Coach purses, but they either bought them at the Duty-free shop coming back from Canada or they were gifts from wealthy relatives/husbands. My former supervisor has an awesome yellow Coach bag that I would envy if I had any yellow clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I buy my purses at Macys, DSW or Target, for the most part. I have a navy purse I bought at Hudsons (which was bought by Marshall Fields, which was bought by Macys) in the early 90s that I probably paid $50 bucks for and is still in good shape. I've probably gone through 10 pairs of blue shoes since then.

I recently bought a new black purse at Macys because I was getting sick of replacing the ones from Target every year. It was Style & CO and on sale, so I paid $20 for it.

I was looking at The Rack for purses, and I couldn't believe that even on sale, the purses are priced for the most part in the $200 range.

Some of my friends have Coach purses, but they either bought them at the Duty-free shop coming back from Canada or they were gifts from wealthy relatives/husbands. My former supervisor has an awesome yellow Coach bag that I would envy if I had any yellow clothes.
    Hudsons brings back memories. I had an aunt who moved to Detroit when her husband was transferred there. I used to get Christmas gifts from Hudsons and had some of the old boxes til we moved here and I dumped a bunch of stuff. Did it used to be a May Co store?

I have a dark green suede Coach bag. I don't remember where I got it, but know that it was on a big sale. I tried to sell it at the consignment shop here, but darker colored sude items aren't big sellers here. I ended up reclaiming it, and it's still sitting in my closet. They had the price so low that I decided that I'll probably donate it to some charity.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Hudsons brings back memories. I had an aunt who moved to Detroit when her husband was transferred there. I used to get Christmas gifts from Hudsons and had some of the old boxes til we moved here and I dumped a bunch of stuff. Did it used to be a May Co store?

I have a dark green suede Coach bag. I don't remember where I got it, but know that it was on a big sale. I tried to sell it at the consignment shop here, but darker colored sude items aren't big sellers here. I ended up reclaiming it, and it's still sitting in my closet. They had the price so low that I decided that I'll probably donate it to some charity.
    Hudsons was JL Hudson until they merged with Daytons in the 80s, at which point they closed the downtown Detroit store.

There was another chain of stores called Mays of Michigan. Mays was a small, upscale department store that competed with Hudsons.

All local department stores are gone, and we just have national or regional chains. It's sad, and in a lot of ways, Detroit died when DH closed the flagship store downtown. At least it died for white women.

Hudsons was JL Hudson until they merged with Daytons in the 80s, at which point they closed the downtown Detroit store.

There was another chain of stores called Mays of Michigan. Mays was a small, upscale department store that competed with Hudsons.

All local department stores are gone, and we just have national or regional chains. It's sad, and in a lot of ways, Detroit died when DH closed the flagship store downtown. At least it died for white women.
    In Sarasota there is one small Dillards, two Macy's and one Sears and one JCPenny. They have a local chain called Beals that's kind of interesting---lots of touristy stuff and what people moving down here from the North think of as "coastal living" furniture and accessories. I must be getting soft--actually got a few beachy things, but only for the bathroom.

It's a shame that so many stores are closing. Downtown St Louis is like a ghost town. They used to have a large Famous-Barr (owned by May Co), then became a Macy's in the downtown area. No one went there---they were afraid.

Is Detroit in better shape in the suburbs? Most of the residents of the City of St Louis long ago exited for the burbs. That's where they have the Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman's, Dillards, Macy's, etc.

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wow! Some purse, darlin' ...

And you certainly keep it in wonderful shape. All clean and shiny.

Must be a beast to carry around on your person, however! ...

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    In Sarasota there is one small Dillards, two Macy's and one Sears and one JCPenny. They have a local chain called Beals that's kind of interesting---lots of touristy stuff and what people moving down here from the North think of as "coastal living" furniture and accessories. I must be getting soft--actually got a few beachy things, but only for the bathroom.

It's a shame that so many stores are closing. Downtown St Louis is like a ghost town. They used to have a large Famous-Barr (owned by May Co), then became a Macy's in the downtown area. No one went there---they were afraid.

Is Detroit in better shape in the suburbs? Most of the residents of the City of St Louis long ago exited for the burbs. That's where they have the Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman's, Dillards, Macy's, etc.
    Macys, Saks, Needless Markups, Nordies, L & T and Parisian are all in the suburbs. There is a Macys at Northland, which is just over 8 Mile RD from Detroit, but it is their clearance store and they are understaffed.

There are no chain retail stores within the city limits of Detroit. There are a few local grocery store chains, and lots of small food stores owned by arabs or chaldeans. No WalMart, no Target, nothing like that. Meijer allegedly is going to build a store in a shopping center going in at the former state fairgrounds, which is barely within city limits. The deal that Detroit had to make to get it was to agree to move their police station for that part of town to the shopping center. I hear Marshalls is also going to build there.

Macys, Saks, Needless Markups, Nordies, L & T and Parisian are all in the suburbs. There is a Macys at Northland, which is just over 8 Mile RD from Detroit, but it is their clearance store and they are understaffed.

There are no chain retail stores within the city limits of Detroit. There are a few local grocery store chains, and lots of small food stores owned by arabs or chaldeans. No WalMart, no Target, nothing like that. Meijer allegedly is going to build a store in a shopping center going in at the former state fairgrounds, which is barely within city limits. The deal that Detroit had to make to get it was to agree to move their police station for that part of town to the shopping center. I hear Marshalls is also going to build there.
    It's so sad when the rustbelt cities fall apart. St Louis also had a Northland, but it's been closed for years. It at one time had a Famous Barr (May Co--now Macy's) and a Dillards, plus all the usual mall stores. I taught for a year near that shopping center. Now I would never go anywhere near it, too dangerous.

Other shopping centers have closed, too. The local chain grocery stores won't put up stores in the city. Everything is in the suburbs. The vast majority of the metro population lives in the burbs. There's a patchwork of municipalities---probably over 50, each with their own little fiefdom.

It's strange down here in Sarasota. There's one "bad" part of town, in a place called Newton, where most of the serious crime occurs. When you drive on Hwy 41 through that area, it's almost abandoned. Then go just a bit further and everything once again is lovely. In St Louis, I'm accustomed to larger areas that are truly dangerous. This is such a mini city. Jeeze, their big headline on the front page is about the walk across Niagara Falls by one of the Wallenda families. I keep forgetting that this is a circus city. There are a lot of circus folk living here. They even have a high school, The Sailor School, with its own building for training kids to be in the circus, as well as learning the regular subjects.

"