Thread: STV haggling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 STV haggling 
    I refuse to pay full price for my DirectTV so whenever my current agreement is up and theY bill me for the full 82.00 it's time to make the call. It usually, as it did this time, starts with someone from India who says something almost unintelligible when they answer, I generally make them say "Directv what may I help you with" at least three times or until it at least has some resemblance to English, I then tell them I would like to cancel service, they say why you want to leave, I say better deal at dish network. They say ohhhh I will connect you to someone make better plan or cancel.
    The next person comes on the line, this time American with no accent, they ask why I want to leave, I say way too expensive. Now they always try to sell me a cheaper plan, I say what no Fox news but MSNBC and all the liberal news networks are included, do you discriminate against Conservatives? Silence, I then explain the wonders of dish network, how I can get everything I want for 32.00 cheaper, they say our service is better, I say I can't afford it.
    He says 20.00 per month off, I say no 30.00, he says thirty I say okay is that for two years, he says, how about 30 first year and 20 second year with free movie channels both years. I said sold! Am I the Only one that does this? I've done it 12 years and have as much as cut my bill in half sometimes.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 04-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

What, no "So..." at the beginning?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    What, no "So..." at the beginning?
    I was lucky this time, normally I go up the command chain three levels and only get a year!
    Last year when I done the person said, did you know you got every possible thing I could give you? She said she was worried I wouldn't stop and she couldn't find anything else.
    They got me off guard this time going for two years or I would have cut them another 10.00.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I think it's pretty much accepted that you haggle for better rates when it's time to re-up. However, I have never gotten free movie channels for two years (HBO or Showtime for six months maybe). Not exactly sure which channels you are talking about but kudos either way.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I refuse to pay full price for my DirectTV so whenever my current agreement is up and theY bill me for the full 82.00 it's time to make the call. It usually, as it did this time, starts with someone from India who says something almost unintelligible when they answer, I generally make them say "Directv what may I help you with" at least three times or until it at least has some resemblance to English, I then tell them I would like to cancel service, they say why you want to leave, I say better deal at dish network. They say ohhhh I will connect you to someone make better plan or cancel.
    The next person comes on the line, this time American with no accent, they ask why I want to leave, I say way too expensive. Now they always try to sell me a cheaper plan, I say what no Fox news but MSNBC and all the liberal news networks are included, do you discriminate against Conservatives? Silence, I then explain the wonders of dish network, how I can get everything I want for 32.00 cheaper, they say our service is better, I say I can't afford it.
    He says 20.00 per month off, I say no 30.00, he says thirty I say okay is that for two years, he says, how about 30 first year and 20 second year with free movie channels both years. I said sold! Am I the Only one that does this? I've done it 12 years and have as much as cut my bill in half sometimes.
    I will not use DirectTV EVER! They treated me like crap before I was a customer. 5 different installation dates, 5 no-shows. Three bills before I was even hooked up. I called told them to send UPS to pick up their equipment, they said I could drop it off at UPS that the shipping was paid for. Nope, I wasn't driving 76 miles, they were going to have to send UPS out. I was sent 8 bills for the equipment, to which I sent them bills back, $1 more than theirs, for storage fees (hey I was keeping their stuff safe, right?). I got a nasty letter from an attorney DEMANDING payment. I called and talked to a para-legal (I guess) and explained my position, he agreed since I was clearly out of the 25 miles UPS radius, they had the obligation to send them out to collect the equipment. I had two collection agents threaten me...

15 months later I saw a UPS truck driving down the street, I quickly snatched up the gear and waited outside until he came back down the road. When he did, I stopped him handed the box over and said take it...

DirectTV is a joke... No thanks!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I think it's pretty much accepted that you haggle for better rates when it's time to re-up. However, I have never gotten free movie channels for two years (HBO or Showtime for six months maybe). Not exactly sure which channels you are talking about but kudos either way.
    I'm going to watch tonight and see what the movies are, I was more interested in the money than anything.

I do that every two years with my Direct TV as well, I always call and say I want the new members promotion(although I'm sneaky about it) after they say "well, it's for new members" I respond with, Ok, well I'll see what my local cable company wants and let you know, cancel my service for now. Of course that follows with a "yes, of course we can give you the new member deal!"

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It was the Justin Bieber 24/7 channel I bet. Rock knows what he likes.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I do that every two years with my Direct TV as well, I always call and say I want the new members promotion(although I'm sneaky about it) after they say "well, it's for new members" I respond with, Ok, well I'll see what my local cable company wants and let you know, cancel my service for now. Of course that follows with a "yes, of course we can give you the new member deal!"
    Did you get Justin Bieber too?

Did you get Justin Bieber too?
    No I got free showtime/encore and a cut in price.