1. #1 Schwarzenegger Vows First-Ever Calif. Budget Veto 
    SACRAMENTO — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Tuesday rejected the budget sent to him hours earlier by the Legislature, criticizing it for failing to meet his reform demands and solve California's persistent fiscal problems.

The announcement marked the first time in modern history that a California governor would veto a state spending plan. It set in motion a historic showdown with the Democratically controlled Legislature, which has said it is prepared to override the governor's pending veto.

Schwarzenegger's announcement that he will veto the budget came after a record-long stalemate that forced the state to delay billions of dollars in payments to schools, medical clinics, daycare centers and state vendors. Lawmakers finally cobbled together a patchwork spending plan on the 78th day after the start of the fiscal year, passing a $143 billion budget shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday.

He called the budget irresponsible and said the reforms it contained were phony.

"I say enough is enough," Schwarzenegger said. "California has been put through this roller coaster ride too many times."

The budget deal generated just enough Republican support to reach the two-thirds threshold needed for approval. Its main feature requires Californians to pay their income taxes sooner, a maneuver designed to close a $15.2 billion deficit without borrowing or imposing new taxes.

Arnie has been pissing off a lot of the conservative folks out here, but I do stand behind him on the budget veto. I'm glad he had the balls to tell those liberals what he will do if they override his veto. Californians are taxed every way you can imagine. :mad: The liberals have put this state so far into the hole with their reckless spending and their bullsh*t social programs (especially for illegal aliens). At this point, I don't care if he has to cut funding for education.

See what happens when you let the liberals run your government...everything goes down the crapper FAST.

Sooooooo, somehow by making people pay their taxes sooner it creates more money? Well, only ONCE since that establishes the new tax day. Or, maybe they can move the date up every year. Hell, eventually it will move so much you pay this years taxes in January this year :D

Oh, and that will sit well with tax payers. Oh no, April 15 is just for the feds. We need you to do your taxes sooner so you can have TWO tax deadlines to piss you off. Never mind most people calculate their tax burden for their state off their Fed forms.

I love the devious nation of some politicians minds. This one takes the cake.,

Thank god I left that place 10 years ago. Good luck Californians.

Now the Democrats are saying they’ll over-ride his veto, and the Gropenator says he’ll then veto every bill on his desk in retaliation. Jesus, is it nap time yet?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

You go Arnie. Good on him.

This is exactly what the last 5 presidents of the US SHOULD have been doing. Veto every damn budget sent in until it is balanced.

This could set an example we NEED to see everywhere.

Banned
    He should have started vetoing spending bills years ago; same with Prez Bush. This go along to get along does not work with liberals it just shows how weak you are. Dumb ass Repubs have not figured that out yet. The horse is out of the barn and it's a stampede of red ink in CA and DC. I guess Arnuld will go hit his buddy Bushy up for 15 billions. What's a few billion between spend like drunken sailor friends. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The horse is out of the barn and it's a stampede of red ink in CA and DC. I guess Arnuld will go hit his buddy Bushy up for 15 billions. What's a few billion between spend like drunken sailor friends. :mad:
    :D Hey, old man, don't make me agree with you AGAIN!
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post

Oh, and that will sit well with tax payers. Oh no, April 15 is just for the feds. We need you to do your taxes sooner so you can have TWO tax deadlines to piss you off. Never mind most people calculate their tax burden for their state off their Fed forms.
    Exactly!

I'm behind Arnold on this one. The money that this state spends is unbelievable and some of these pet projects are ridiculous. I have lived in CA a very long time and it is really bad now.

Lawmakers Cede To Schwarzenegger Budget Demands
    SACRAMENTO (AP) ― California lawmakers are scheduled to vote Friday on a compromise budget deal that averted a historic veto by including Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's demands for budget reform.

The spending plan also scraps some of the borrowing gimmicks opposed by Schwarzenegger, who threatened to reject an agreement legislators approved just days earlier.

The state's four legislative leaders met with the governor again Thursday and agreed to many of his demands after conceding they were uncertain whether they could muster the two-thirds vote of the state Legislature required to override his veto,

They emerged from a mid-afternoon meeting saying they would change the $143 billion spending plan the Legislature approved two days earlier.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Power CUer
    And we have a budget this morning. Our speaker of the assembly wasn't happy, but screw her. Arnold got his rainy day fund which can't be touched in good times (I like this idea) and the budget manages a patchwork of accounting things and borrowing to get through this year.

I DREAD next year. :(