Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Congress is Broken and it's the Republicans' fault, mostly... 
    link

Ahhhh, yes, liberals sob and rant that since THEY don't get their way 100% of the time that congress is broken and it's all the Republicans fault.

CRK7376 (1,424 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Congress is Broken and it's the Republicans' fault, mostly...
    There was a great story on NPR this morning. Congress is broken and it's mostly Republicans fault.....go figure!

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/30/151522...sm-in-congress

Congressional scholars Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein are no strangers to D.C. politics. The two of them have been in Washington for more than 40 years — and they're renowned for their carefully nonpartisan positions.

But now, they say, Congress is more dysfunctional than it has been since the Civil War, and they aren't hesitating to point a finger at who they think is to blame.

"One of the two major parties, the Republican Party, has become an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic policy regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition," they write in their new book, It's Even Worse Than It Looks.
    Zorro (3,250 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    1. Newt Gingrich is a key architect to the current dysfunctional state of government

View profile
    When Speaker of the House he was quite vocal about wanting to transform government along more parliamentary lines.

The Republicans have since embraced that philosophical approach, and is why it is so difficult to get any of them to break lockstep/goosestep to reach a political compromise on grave national issues.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Congressional scholars Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein are no strangers to D.C. politics. The two of them have been in Washington for more than 40 years — and they're renowned for their carefully nonpartisan positions.
    Yeah, sure...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Yeah, sure...
    I read something about those two recently, blowing that assertion away...

Lemme see if I can find it.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I read something about those two recently, blowing that assertion away...

Lemme see if I can find it.
    Norman Ornstein to the Press Corps: Stop Covering the GOP Fairly to Stop Their Success
    Posted by Erick Erickson (Diary)
    Monday, April 30th at 10:16AM EDT
    Nothing says marginal extremism like holding the US House, most statehouses, most governorships, and a plurality of national party ID.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

So far the Democratic strategy of pretending that the Republicans are in charge seems to be working - at least just a little.
    Today, I saw a clip of Obama claiming once again that he had good ideas and "the party of no blocked them time and time again". Then he goes into the bit about "The American People don't have time to wait for the Republicans to come back to the table"........

And today he claimed that he has created 4.2 million jobs...... All of this is easily refuted, but so far nothing out of the Republicans....

Since San Fran Nan, aka Skeletor, got knocked out of the Speaker's seat, the most broken thing about Congress has been the Senate, and that's ALL on Harry Reid, noted grifter and party shill. Getting a Republican majority in the Senate is at least as important as the Presidential race if this country is ever going to fight free of the fiscal quicksand he, Obama, and Skeletor got us into.

The Dims forgot that they had control of the house and senate and executive and still got nothing done. Now that's really broken.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Close but no cigar. I could've sworn it was Newsbusters....

One more site to check out.

Thanks Zeus
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    So far the Democratic strategy of pretending that the Republicans are in charge seems to be working - at least just a little.
    Today, I saw a clip of Obama claiming once again that he had good ideas and "the party of no blocked them time and time again". Then he goes into the bit about "The American People don't have time to wait for the Republicans to come back to the table"........

And today he claimed that he has created 4.2 million jobs...... All of this is easily refuted, but so far nothing out of the Republicans....
    This has been a problem for quite some time. No umpf in the party atal. I wonder what they're waiting for.

ps. R.I.P. Crockspot <~ what?
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    This has been a problem for quite some time. No umpf in the party atal. I wonder what they're waiting for.

ps. R.I.P. Crockspot <~ what?

Crockspot passed away a while back.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.