1. #1 Shy Children Read To Greyhounds At School 
    Shy children will read to retired racing greyhounds instead of teachers as part of a new literacy project at UK schools.

Young pupils who are reluctant to read in front of their classmates will be encouraged to practice in front of dogs selected by the Retired Greyhound Trust.
    The idea - which will also help children with learning difficulties - has been welcomed by the The National Literacy Trust, the National Autistic Society and educational psychologists.
    READ - Reading Education Assistance Dogs - is a big success in America where there are now 1,400 dogs visiting schools.
    One of the first dogs to take part in the UK will be retired greyhound Batman and owner Kelly Bakewell, who make their debut at Oakway Infant School in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, on Friday.
    Scotts listens intently

Another, Scotts, is booked to visit a string of schools in the coming months with owner Tony Nevett.
    The project is aimed at children aged between four and seven at both mainstream and special needs schools.
    Nevett, who has worked with the Retired Greyhound Trust, for several years, said: "Many children find it a struggle to read and it really knocks their confidence if they stumble over words in front of their mates.
    "The idea of reading to dogs is that they donít answer back and they donít give you a hard time if you donít get it right first time." ...

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15279762

Not a new story but I hadn't come across this before.

This is a wonderful idea.

Stutterers can often speak plainly when speaking to animals, and very often they don't stutter when they sing. Hippotherapy, where horses are used, has a long history of success, and many, many teachers 'learned' to teach by teaching to their dolls all lined up like students.

James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader, hardly spoke at all for eight years as a child because of a severe stutter.

That black greyhound with the white on the muzzle looks like Darlene.

They're using greyhounds (and other breeds) to assist some of our military with PTSD. Dogs are also greyt for visiting nursing homes.

The National Trust in the UK is a wonderful organization. I used to post on the "big list", an international group of greyhound fanatics. I learned so much from that group. When in Kanab, Utah, I met a wonderful nurse from the UK who almost single-handedly saved so many of the galgos, greyhound mixes in Spain (and also purebred greys). The Spanish had the lovely habit of hanging the greyhounds til dead. It's been a while and I'm ashamed that I can't remember her name, but she gave me a set of lovely little note cards that she had brought from the UK.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    That black greyhound with the white on the muzzle looks like Darlene.

They're using greyhounds (and other breeds) to assist some of our military with PTSD. Dogs are also greyt for visiting nursing homes.

The National Trust in the UK is a wonderful organization. I used to post on the "big list", an international group of greyhound fanatics. I learned so much from that group. When in Kanab, Utah, I met a wonderful nurse from the UK who almost single-handedly saved so many of the galgos, greyhound mixes in Spain (and also purebred greys). The Spanish had the lovely habit of hanging the greyhounds til dead. It's been a while and I'm ashamed that I can't remember her name, but she gave me a set of lovely little note cards that she had brought from the UK.
    My mom's greyhound gets all excited when I show up, and then she's totally calm for the entire visit. I can see her being a quiet child's best friend, as she would pay attention but not be demanding like my Rotty was. Bless her heart she was the lovingest dog I ever had, but she was an attention hog and hug monkey.

My daughter, the Librarian, has a lady who comes in with some small mutt-type quiet dog that simply appears enraptured with the young readers and has made several non-starters into very earnest readers.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    My daughter, the Librarian, has a lady who comes in with some small mutt-type quiet dog that simply appears enraptured with the young readers and has made several non-starters into very earnest readers.
    Now, THAT'S cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Now, THAT'S cool!
    That's what I told her. I'm still waiting to meet the dog's trainer/owner.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.