Thread: And I Got Fired

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    A couple of oddities here:

Later in the thread, the OP says that he's getting unemployment compensation. Now, maybe his state is different, but I always understood that if you get fired for cause, you don't get unemployment, and I don't know any employer that gives a severance package unless they lay you off. Now he's claiming that they eliminated his job, just to get rid of him, which may be true, but if so, he must have been a real pain to make them go to that much trouble, especially since they cannot hire a replacement.

Think of it this way, would you promote the heterosexual guy who flaunts his love life by the water cooler?
    Depends on the reason for being fired, and whether the company fights it or not. I was listening to 890AM a while ago and they were talking to a business owner who had people come in for a under a week, quite and collect unemployment. the whole thing is messed up.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    While I personally agree with this kind of attitude, isn't it discriminatory (according to the state or Fed) to not advance someone simply because he was open about his sexual orientation? Or can't this sort of thing be documented?

It's not really the kind of thing that can be documented. Promotions are really at the whim of management, to a degree. In a lot of ways, gays are over-represented in management in my agency. It's a social work thing, I guess.