Thread: And I Got Fired

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Do you have the link? The story was hysterical! I think DUers blamed conservatives for it. Someone apparently alerted the restaurant to the post, but the DUmmy had posted the link to her own damned workplace!
    No, I don't and can't remember her DU name. I'm sure Frank does though. That thread was an excellent example of DUmmie arrogance and price that it sometimes carries.
    May the FORCE be with you!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    My favorite part was where she "tendered her resignation". Uhhh...you're a cook.

So if I am reading this correctly, blur goes on a rant about his/her job on a public forum, and thinks he/she was fired for being gay? I thought the DUmp was all about Occums Razor, or do they just bring that up to sound educated?

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It wasn't the interview, it was his old job. Truth be told, if this is real, he was flaunting it to everybody. Without exception, every gay person I've ever met, has brought up the fact that they are gay without being asked. You want us out of your bedrooms, leave your bedrooms at home...
    I work for the government, so gay people are protected from being fired just for being gay. That said, some don't like to discuss it because they don't think it's anyone else's business. Those are the ones who get promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I work for the government, so gay people are protected from being fired just for being gay. That said, some don't like to discuss it because they don't think it's anyone else's business. Those are the ones who get promoted.
    While I personally agree with this kind of attitude, isn't it discriminatory (according to the state or Fed) to not advance someone simply because he was open about his sexual orientation? Or can't this sort of thing be documented?

While I personally agree with this kind of attitude, isn't it discriminatory (according to the state or Fed) to not advance someone simply because he was open about his sexual orientation? Or can't this sort of thing be documented?
    It's very difficult to separate a failure to be promoted for oversharing your sexuality at work from a failure to be promoted because you are an annoying asshole with a shitty grasp of small group leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Well, blur256, since you're a DUer, the most likely reasons are because you're a whiny argumentative little bitch, or else the drug test came back positive.
    I got fired today, because I got high... Afroman

That song came into my mind when I first read the OP.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

A couple of oddities here:

Later in the thread, the OP says that he's getting unemployment compensation. Now, maybe his state is different, but I always understood that if you get fired for cause, you don't get unemployment, and I don't know any employer that gives a severance package unless they lay you off. Now he's claiming that they eliminated his job, just to get rid of him, which may be true, but if so, he must have been a real pain to make them go to that much trouble, especially since they cannot hire a replacement.

Think of it this way, would you promote the heterosexual guy who flaunts his love life by the water cooler?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    He realizes this just means employers will be less likely to hire gays in the future.

Fire a straight white guy for whatever reason (redundancy, can't work with others, always late, don't need the position, etc)... too bad for him.

Fire a person with certain minority status attributes for exactly the same reason... threat of lawsuit.

You don't have to give a reason when you refuse to hire someone... "he wasn't a good fit" is fine. If you know someone will be difficult to fire because of inclusion in some category... tendency will be not to hire people in that category because they "won't be a good fit."
    I had this pleasure once. Fired a man 20 years older than me for failing to disclose, (lie of ommission) the last reason for losin ghis job. Turns out he was a fired policeman. I didn´t like doing it but I did. He was Black and made the usual threats. I managed a corporate store so I wasn´t detered by his threats. I actually liked him and wanted to keep him. He wa a good worker too. The corporation had rules though, so he had to go.

The DUmmy who got fired was not fired for being gay. He was fired for being a turd. He would not have been fired for acting and dressing like he did when he was hired, so his actions after that got him fired. I assume he was gay when he applied and didn´t turn gay after he was hired. He probably showed up in feathers and high heels, singing show tunes to the clients.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand