Hybrid View

1. #1 One in three Americans would 'fail citizenship test' 

One in three Americans would 'fail citizenship test'

A survey has found that around one third of U.S. citizens would fail the country's citizenship test for immigrants.

The study, conducted by the Center for the Study of the American Dream at Xavier University, in Cincinnati, Ohio, found that one in three respondents would fail the civics portion of the test given to those applying for U.S. citizenship.

More than 1,000 Americans over the age of 18 were asked 10 random questions from the civics test, which asks about US history and government topics.

Of those questioned, 35 per cent were unable to answer the pass mark of five correctly. >>>

According to U.S. News and World Report, 97 per cent of immigrants applying for U.S. citizenship pass the test.

Mailonline

---------------------------------------

A May 2 Rasmussen Poll found that 31% of likely voters thought the country was heading in the right direction. Think theres any chance these are same idiots who couldn’t pass a basic civics test?
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I used to quiz Mrs. O on this when she was preparing for her citizenship test. I thought that the questions were ridiculously easy, but since she'd grown up in Britain, a lot of it was new to her. I'm not surprised that most Americans don't know this basic stuff, given how ignorant so many members of the governing classe are (Kathleen Sebelius was schooled the other day in a committee hearing). It would be only embarrassing if this weren't about the foundations of our government. The founders presumed that civics would be part of our education, and that we would know enough about our institutions to manage them. Sadly, this is not the case.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I used to quiz Mrs. O on this when she was preparing for her citizenship test. I thought that the questions were ridiculously easy, but since she'd grown up in Britain, a lot of it was new to her. I'm not surprised that most Americans don't know this basic stuff, given how ignorant so many members of the governing classe are (Kathleen Sebelius was schooled the other day in a committee hearing). It would be only embarrassing if this weren't about the foundations of our government. The founders presumed that civics would be part of our education, and that we would know enough about our institutions to manage them. Sadly, this is not the case.
    Yah there are also questions that are just wrong. Such as "which of the following are the two political parties in the United States" Or references to our system of government as a Democracy rather than a Constitutional Republic. Or messing up popular vote v electoral college.

A little more info ...

-- 85 percent could not define "the rule of law."

-- 75 percent did not know the function of the judicial branch.

-- 71 percent were unable to identify the Constitution as the "supreme law of the land."

-- 63 percent could not name one of their state's Senators.

-- 62 percent did not know the name of the Speaker of the U.S. House.

-- 62 percent could not identify the Governor of their state.

-- 57 percent could not define an "amendment."
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

I'm not surprised. We take our citizenship for granted.

It's because of the legal immigration process that I personally think that those who have gone through it should be allowed to run for President. I think they've earned all the same trust that we were born given.

As someone who has taken the Citizenship Test, 32 years ago, think I am qualified to jump in here. ...

Ody wrote ...
    I used to quiz Mrs. O on this when she was preparing for her citizenship test. I thought that the questions were ridiculously easy, but since she'd grown up in Britain, a lot of it was new to her.
    First of all, congrats on marrying a Brit. Wonderful choice, indeed! Ha! Ha! I too, was born there.

When hubby and I took the test back then, it was an oral test. Was no such thing as prepared quiz notes to study or anything of the sort. We *were*prepared however, thanks to a friend who gave us a book called "It's Easy to Become a Citizen" 1968 edition by Carolyn Bain. 128 pages of small print.

We studied the whole blinking thing, made up questions for each other, kept score, and enjoyed the whole experience. Is easy to learn when you "want" to. Needless to say, when we took the test, we both aced it!!!

Lanie wrote ... I'm not surprised. We take our citizenship for granted.
    That is so true at times, unfortunately. With this election, not so much anymore. Many are aware of what is at stake for our country.

However, back to the "test" discussion ... in the days following our test, we quizzed our American born friends (with all the facts still fresh in *our* minds, mind you, which made it rather unfair) on some of the questions we were asked ... and you guessed it, most flunked.

The long and short of it ... anyone can and should pass the test, if they studied for it.

Retaining all that you learned at the time, is a whole different matter!

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 05-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Good one, Janice! ...

~ ABC

The flaw in the survey is Recent immigrants would have recently or would be currently studying while the Us citizen wouldn't have for yrs. It's a sad commentary though when the US citizens can't name current Governors or US senators etc.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

One more thing, then outta here.

Probably shouldn't say this, as will be offensive to some ...

But, just because you *can* pass the test to become an American citizen, doesn't exactly qualify you to VOTE ... in my book. Far from it.

If I had my way, and you can be thankful that I don't ... you would also be required to answer a lot more, more pertinent questions re the issues at stake and have knowledge of where each of the candidates stand on them, in order to cast a vote.

~ ABC (beastly person that I am!)

EDIT ... You came in while I was doing my 2 fingered typing Zeus. I agree with you 100%.
    Last edited by ABC in Georgia; 05-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.