kentuck goes into "heavy thinking" mode...dude.

Thu May 3, 2012, 11:14 PM
kentuck

Is it cool to kill someone that is a detested enemy of our country?

More specifically, Osama Bin Laden?

There is something sick and disturbing about celebrating the death of anyone, in my opinion.

I understand that there was and is a lot of pain from what happened on 9/11 and the desire for revenge from many of those that lost loved ones on that day. But what about the rest of the country? Should we be rejoicing and celebrating the death of another person?

Is it OK to torture our enemies? Does this lead to an overall coarsening of our society and does it make us less a part of humanity?

Personally, I have a problem with anyone celebrating the death of another person, no matter how evil, because in the end, it is celebrating the death of us all. It is easy to justify but that does not make it right.

It is just my opinion, but I do not think we should high-five when an enemy is killed in war. But rather, we should mourn all loss of life as a diminution of our entire human race. There is something disturbing about the way our leaders discuss this entire debate.

Even in a "justifiable war" theory, there is no justification for the glorification of our leaders that are responsible for the deaths of so many. There is something unseemly and wrong...

And since it's military, General Nadin feels she just has to comment...

Response to kentuck (Original post)
Thu May 3, 2012, 11:35 PM
"General" nadinbrzezinski

3. I will ask you something...

have you ever served in front lines? If you have, then some of this will make sense.

Some of this is bragadoschio by mostly civilians who mostly have not served. But realize the President gave the GO order, he knew exactly what would happen if they failed. Mullen saw the team and met their gaze.

But celebrating the death of an enemy, right nor wrong, is as old as war itself. OBL, as far as many Americans were and are still concerned, was no longer human. It is the same way as Tojo, Hitler, Charlie, the Hun... you mention it... the first step in war, and in some ways this is a very low intensity war, that should more properly be a police action, involves dehumanizing the enemy.

Don't worry the Jihadis have done the same with the American invader in Afghanistan. Why the first step in any peace negotiation is actually not the size and shape of the people, but realizing the other side is also human. Believe it or not, that one some people, mostly front line grunts, never quite achieve.

Morality, no, not really... human nature... or chimp nature. I suspect them chimps that also go to war do something similar, and elephants and dolphins. We are not alone, even if we are that much more efficient at it.

Oh ultimately they fight over the same crap we do... resources. We just clothe it in nicer clot