Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Black Studies Professors demand Firing of conservative writer on Education ASAP 
    Naomi Schaefer-Riley writes a regular blog for the Chronicle of Higher Education, the trade paper for higher ed. Schaefer-Riley is the author of God on the Quad, a book about religious colleges and their growing influence. If that isn't enough to make academics hate her, she is a consistent voice for conservative opinions on the Chronicle, and often she's a lone voice among the rabble.

On April 12, the Chronicle published an article on some graduate students in Black Studies and their dissertation topics:

A New Generation of Black-Studies Ph.D.'s

Since you have to have a subscription to read this particular article, I'll repost some of the dissertation titles here:

Dissertation title: "Catalysts for Change: A Comparative Study of Shirley Chisholm and Barbara Jordan"

Dissertation title: "'So I Could Be Easeful': Black Women's Authoritative Knowledge on Childbirth"

Dissertation title: "Strange Bedfellows: The Rise of the New (Black) Right in Post Civil Rights America"

Dissertation title: "Stop and Frisk Police Policy on Trial: Testimonies of Racial Profiling in New York City's Local Courts"

Dissertation title: "Race for Profit: Black Housing and the Urban Crisis of the 1970s"

Naomi Schaefer-Riley saw this article and wrote a scathing opinion piece (which you can access in its entirety) called: The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies? Just Read the Dissertations.

The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies? Just Read the Dissertations.

April 30, 2012, 10:24 pm

By Naomi Schaefer Riley

You’ll have to forgive the lateness but I just got around to reading The Chronicle’s recent piece on the young guns of black studies. If ever there were a case for eliminating the discipline, the sidebar explaining some of the dissertations being offered by the best and the brightest of black-studies graduate students has made it. What a collection of left-wing victimization claptrap. The best that can be said of these topics is that they’re so irrelevant no one will ever look at them...

....But topping the list in terms of sheer political partisanship and liberal hackery is La TaSha B. Levy. According to the Chronicle, “Ms. Levy is interested in examining the long tradition of black Republicanism, especially the rightward ideological shift it took in the 1980s after the election of Ronald Reagan. Ms. Levy’s dissertation argues that conservatives like Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, John McWhorter, and others have ‘played one of the most-significant roles in the assault on the civil-rights legacy that benefited them.’” The assault on civil rights? Because they don’t favor affirmative action they are assaulting civil rights? Because they believe there are some fundamental problems in black culture that cannot be blamed on white people they are assaulting civil rights?

Seriously, folks, there are legitimate debates about the problems that plague the black community from high incarceration rates to low graduation rates to high out-of-wedlock birth rates. But it’s clear that they’re not happening in black-studies departments. If these young scholars are the future of the discipline, I think they can just as well leave their calendars at 1963 and let some legitimate scholars find solutions to the problems of blacks in America. Solutions that don’t begin and end with blame the white man.

Predictably, Schaefer-Riley is being called a "racist" and worse.

Grad Students Respond to Riley Post on African-American Studies

...So imagine our surprise when almost two weeks after The Chronicle’s original article appeared, The Chronicle’s Web site published a lazy and vitriolic hit piece by blogger Naomi Schaefer Riley that summarily dismisses our academic work while debasing us as something less than “legitimate scholars.” Riley then holds up our research as the reason African American Studies as a discipline should be “eliminated.”...

...When Rick Santorum took his failed campaign for the Republican nomination for President to Iowa, he invoked blacks on welfare as a campaign issue—in a state where African-Americans make up only two percent of the population. He said, “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money. I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money and provide for themselves and their families.”

When Newt Gingrich had trouble drumming up interest in his failed political campaign, he began referring to President Barack Obama as the “food stamp president” and then told the NAACP that he wanted to address their convention to counsel, “why the African-American community should demand paychecks and not be satisfied with food stamps.”

One can only assume that in a bid to not be “out-n.iggered” by her right-wing cohort, Riley found some black women graduate students to beat up on. Despite her attempts to silence us personally, and indeed the discipline as a whole, her exhortations confirm the need for the vigorous study and investigation of black life in the United States and beyond....

Faculty Respond to Riley Post on African-American Studies

....To write such disparaging comments about young scholars and their expressions of intellectual curiosity is cowardly, uninformed, irresponsible, repugnant, and contrary to the mission of higher education. We are barely one generation removed from when African-American students were completely denied entry into many colleges and universities in this country. This kind of distasteful attack on the current generation of black students represents the unfortunate and unacceptable manifestation of contemporary forms of exclusion. We strongly and righteously condemn such regressive tactics to stifle young people’s educational pursuits.

We are dismayed that The Chronicle of Higher Education would risk its journalistic reputation by publishing such an ad hominem attack on the work in progress of graduate students....
    Is Brainstorm Racist?

...The Chronicle is legitimizing open season on black scholars for doing black studies. That’s racist racism.

Schaefer-Riley has been trying to defend herself but to no avail. She even points out her credentials:

...My qualifications to post on this blog consist of the fact that I have been a journalist writing about higher education for close to 15 years now. My work has been published in every major newspaper in the country and I have written two books on the subject as well. The editors at those papers and those publishers and at The Chronicle have all been aware that I hold no advanced degree. Black studies is now an academic discipline at most universities, which means I get to comment on that too. If the dissertations in question were written by white people, I’d call them irrelevant and partisan as well. Moreover, I have called other disciplines (having nothing to do with race) irrelevant and partisan...
    She also states her general opinion on current academic research:

...Such is the state of academic research these days. The disciplines multiply. The publication topics become more and more irrelevant and partisan. No one reads them. And the people whom we expect to offer undergraduates a broad liberal-arts education (in return for billions of dollars from parents and taxpayers) never get trained to do so. Instead the ivory tower pushes them further and further into obscurity.
    The editor of the Chronicle has even come out to defend Shaefer-Riley:

Editor's Note

...Many of you have asked The Chronicle to take down Naomi Schaefer Riley’s recent posting, “The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies? Just Read the Dissertations.” I urge readers instead to view this posting as an opportunity—to debate Riley’s views, challenge her, set things straight as you see fit. Take a moment to read The Chronicle’s front-page story about the future of black studies, written by Chronicle reporter Stacey Patton and weigh in.

Please join the debate....
    But the comments are VILE. Unbelievably vile. It reminds me of the vitriol against George Zimmerman. And Naomi Schaefer-Riley hasn't even killed anyone!

There is now a petition for her dismissal from the Chronicle of Higher Education. It has over 4000 signatures.

I think it's important to preserve the one consistent conservative voice on this site. I have written a brief email to Philip Semas, President and Editor in Chief of the Chronicle of Higher Education. His email is philsemas@chronicle. I also sent one to editor@chronicle.com.

Right now, it's a coordinated witch hunt. There are a ton of comments at every single one of these links calling her racist, stupid, and worthless. The petition is growing and Riley might lose her position with the Chronicle.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 05-04-2012 at 05:42 PM.

.....Because they believe there are some fundamental problems in black culture that cannot be blamed on white people they are assaulting civil rights?.......
    Yeah. You say anything other than "some of the finest people....black....." and you will be called a racist. And a bigot.

Point out that there is a fundamental problem within the black culture which renders a great many black people dangerous, and the R word and the B word come out.

Point out that 45% of our prison population comes from the negro race, which makes up 12% of the population, and it will be dismissed as anecdotal. And you are a R.... and a B....

Try it.

Fabulous Poster
    I am delighted to see disagreement on a college campus. Aren't you?

By the way, I don't think that there shouldn't be courses in Black Studies, Womens Studies, Gender Studies, Gay Studies, etc... I just don't think that there should be degrees, much less graduate degrees in these things. Neither should one be able to get a "Doctor" of Divinity degree; the idea that you can get a Phd. not simply in the study of mythology, but in the nuts and bolts of a living religion is absurd. It's like giving a degree in poltergeist, witchcraft, and Big Foot. All of these things are interesting and I have no problem with there being college courses for pursuing those interests. College isn't simply about learning how to remove a spleen or build a bridge; some of it is learning for learning sake.

I have a real objection to degree programs which don't really qualify you to do anything other than to teach that program to the next batch of people who have no intention of ever leaving the campus alive.

This particularly caught my eye:
    ...When Rick Santorum took his failed campaign for the Republican nomination for President to Iowa, he invoked blacks on welfare as a campaign issue—in a state where African-Americans make up only two percent of the population. He said, “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money. I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money and provide for themselves and their families.”
    I might be a R and a B but logically Iowans (being then 98% white and not a poor state) pay taxes. It concerns taxpayers (or should) that growing entitlements means raising taxes. Santorum was all about self-determination, and in Iowa noted that welfare isn't the best way to live your life. OMG he said "black". narf
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    This particularly caught my eye:

I might be a R and a B but logically Iowans (being then 98% white and not a poor state) pay taxes. It concerns taxpayers (or should) that growing entitlements means raising taxes. Santorum was all about self-determination, and in Iowa noted that welfare isn't the best way to live your life. OMG he said "black". narf
    Rick and newt insinuated a job would be a better way. That's a big no no in liberal elite circles.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    ..............Neither should one be able to get a "Doctor" of Divinity degree; the idea that you can get a Phd. not simply in the study of mythology, but in the nuts and bolts of a living religion is absurd. It's like giving a degree in poltergeist, witchcraft, and Big Foot..................
    Never let it be said throughout the land that Novaheart has no balls.
    Tell it like you feel it, Friend! You will sleep better.

By the way, I don't think that there shouldn't be courses in Black Studies, Womens Studies, Gender Studies, Gay Studies, etc... I just don't think that there should be degrees, much less graduate degrees in these things. Neither should one be able to get a "Doctor" of Divinity degree; the idea that you can get a Phd. not simply in the study of mythology, but in the nuts and bolts of a living religion is absurd. It's like giving a degree in poltergeist, witchcraft, and Big Foot. All of these things are interesting and I have no problem with there being college courses for pursuing those interests. College isn't simply about learning how to remove a spleen or build a bridge; some of it is learning for learning sake.

I have a real objection to degree programs which don't really qualify you to do anything other than to teach that program to the next batch of people who have no intention of ever leaving the campus alive.
    Those learning Divinity most definitely don't stay put and teach the next batch of people. In fact, they can actually get real, paying jobs in their field of study...something far more difficult for the other "disciplines" mentioned.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

A little something for our democratic friends to think about.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

You place as much faith in your atheism as I do my Christian... actually more.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

By the way, I don't think that there shouldn't be courses in Black Studies, Womens Studies, Gender Studies, Gay Studies, etc... I just don't think that there should be degrees, much less graduate degrees in these things.
    These are just BAs in BS. Unless a Women's Studies program is producing OB-GYNs, it's a sham.

Neither should one be able to get a "Doctor" of Divinity degree; the idea that you can get a Phd. not simply in the study of mythology, but in the nuts and bolts of a living religion is absurd. It's like giving a degree in poltergeist, witchcraft, and Big Foot. All of these things are interesting and I have no problem with there being college courses for pursuing those interests. College isn't simply about learning how to remove a spleen or build a bridge; some of it is learning for learning sake.

Look, we get that you don't believe in religion, really. It doesn't have to come up every time that you post. If you'd stopped where I inserted my comment, you'd have gotten considerable agreement here, but you just had to dig at the believers, didn't you? Do you understand that by doing that, you make no friends, and really piss off people who might otherwise have some common ground with you in other areas?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!