1. #1 5-6-12: Today in History 
    American Revolution
    William Franklin warns Dartmouth of repercussions from Lexington and Concord, 1775

Automotive
    Harry Gant is oldest NASCAR winner -- again, 1991

Civil War
    Grant and Lee continue fighting in the Wilderness, 1864

Cold War
    Gorbachev reviews the Cold War, 1992

Crime
    The theft of Duchess of Devonshire stirs interest, 1876

Disaster
    Hindenburg explodes in New Jersey, 1937

General Interest
    The Hindenburg disaster, 1937

First four-minute mile, 1954

Hollywood
    Final episode of Friends airs on NBC, 2004

Literary
    John Steinbeck wins a Pulitzer for The Grapes of Wrath, 1940

Music
    Spinal Tap stages a "comeback" at CBGB's in New York City, 1984

Old West
    Hangman George Maledon dies, 1911

Presidential
    FDR creates the WPA, 1933

Sports
    Roger Bannister breaks four-minutes mile, 1954

Vietnam War
    Students launch nationwide protest, 1970

South Vietnamese defenders hold on to An Loc, 1972

World War I
    Second Battle of Krithia, Gallipoli, 1915

World War II
    All American forces in the Philippines surrender unconditionally, 1942

English Channel tunnel opens, 1994
    May 6, 1937:
    The Hindenburg disaster

The airship Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built and the pride of Nazi Germany, bursts into flames upon touching its mooring mast in Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 36 passengers and crewmembers.

Frenchman Henri Giffard constructed the first successful airship in 1852. His hydrogen-filled blimp carried a three-horsepower steam engine that turned a large propeller and flew at a speed of six miles per hour. The rigid airship, often known as the "zeppelin" after the last name of its innovator, Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin, was developed by the Germans in the late 19th century. Unlike French airships, the German ships had a light framework of metal girders that protected a gas-filled interior. However, like Giffard's airship, they were lifted by highly flammable hydrogen gas and vulnerable to explosion. Large enough to carry substantial numbers of passengers, one of the most famous rigid airships was the Graf Zeppelin, a dirigible that traveled around the world in 1929. In the 1930s, the Graf Zeppelin pioneered the first transatlantic air service, leading to the construction of the Hindenburg, a larger passenger airship.

On May 3, 1937, the Hindenburg left Frankfurt, Germany, for a journey across the Atlantic to Lakehurst's Navy Air Base. Stretching 804 feet from stern to bow, it carried 36 passengers and crew of 61. While attempting to moor at Lakehurst, the airship suddenly burst into flames, probably after a spark ignited its hydrogen core. Rapidly falling 200 feet to the ground, the hull of the airship incinerated within seconds. Thirteen passengers, 21 crewmen, and 1 civilian member of the ground crew lost their lives, and most of the survivors suffered substantial injuries.

Radio announcer Herb Morrison, who came to Lakehurst to record a routine voice-over for an NBC newsreel, immortalized the Hindenberg disaster in a famous on-the-scene description in which he emotionally declared, "Oh, the humanity!" The recording of Morrison's commentary was immediately flown to New York, where it was aired as part of America's first coast-to-coast radio news broadcast. Lighter-than-air passenger travel rapidly fell out of favor after the Hindenberg disaster, and no rigid airships survived World War II.
    http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...nburg-disaster

I always think of my sister in-law when I see the Hindenburg, I don't know if that has to do with the disaster part or the proportions of the ship.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

2. #2 Mildred Elizabeth Sisk: American-Born Axis Sally 
    She was named Mildred Elizabeth Sisk when she was born in Portland, Maine, on November 29, 1900. Her parents, Vincent Sisk and Mae Hewitson Sisk, were divorced in 1907, and a few years later Mildred's mother married a dentist, Dr. Robert Bruce Gillars. From that time on the child was known as Mildred Gillars.
    This day marks the anniversary of Axis Sally's last broadcast just days before the surrender of Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isyr45eZf0I

Would let her teach your kindergarten child?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

In Texas:
    1838 - North of Nacogdoches, at Liberty School House, a missionary Baptist church was organized. It was originally called Union Baptist Church but the name was later changed to the Old North Baptist Church. In 1839, the Texas Woman's Missionary Union, the first Baptist women's group in Texas, was organized at the church.

1864 - Confederate general Robert E. Lee ordered the celebrated Hood's Texas Brigade to the front.

1864 - Former Texas merchant Leonard Karpeles won the Medal of Honor for his actions at the battle of the Wilderness.

1935 - In Texas, the Works Projects Administration was founded.

1999 - Whataburger opened their flagship "Whataburger by the Bay" in Corpus Christi, TX. The 6,000 square foot tribute to founder Harmon Dobson has water views, and a life-size bronze statue of Mr. Dobson near the entrance at the bay side.

In Baseball:
    Babe Ruth's first major league HR - 1915

Willie Mays was born - 1931

Roger Marris hit his 100th HR- 1961

Darryl Strawberry debuted with the Mets - 1983
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.