Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Gingrich to leave presidential race next Tuesday, sources say 
    By Carl Cameron

Published April 25, 2012

FoxNews.com

Newt Gingrich plans to formally leave the Republican presidential race next Tuesday, senior campaign aides told Fox News.

The former House speaker will "more than likely" endorse Mitt Romney when he makes his announcement to either suspend or end the campaign, a source said.

The decision comes after Gingrich huddled with senior advisers following the five primaries Romney swept on Tuesday night. Romney's victories made it virtually impossible for Gingrich to secure the 1,144 delegates needed for the Republican nomination.

For several weeks, Gingrich staffers have been reviewing accounts and making preparations. Gingrich had been holding out hope for a strong performance at least in Delaware Tuesday night. Absent that, Gingrich decided to plan for his exit next week.

He will complete his North Carolina schedule this week, making it something of a goodbye tour while supporters, friends and family arrive from across the country for his departure from the race.

Earlier on the trail, Gingrich signaled Wednesday morning that he was preparing to drop out. Telling a breakfast gathering of county Republicans in North Carolina that it's clear Romney will be the nominee, Gingrich said the campaign is "working out the details of our transition" and will have more information in the coming days.

"I think you have to be honest at some point about what's happening in the real world as opposed to what you'd have like to have happened," Gingrich said, praising the frontrunner's primary performances Tuesday night.

"This guy has worked for six years, put together a big machine, and has put together a serious campaign," he said. "I think obviously that I would be a better candidate but the objective fact is that the voters didn't think that."

Gingrich said he plans to complete his campaign schedule in North Carolina, which runs through Friday, but "I want you to know that I've been coming here a long time as a citizen, I'm going to keep coming as a citizen, I have a schedule through the rest of the week as a citizen."

Gingrich said that he and Callista are still committed to going to Tampa, but made it clear that they would be attending as Romney supporters and not as spoilers for the nomination.

"I do think it's pretty clear that Governor Romney is ultimately going to be the nominee and we're going to do everything we can to make sure that he is in fact effective and that we as a team are effective both in winning this fall and then frankly in governing," he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1t3vXqn4y
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Banned
    Yea, but will he ever tell us who this Saul Alinsky person he keeps mentioning is? I mean, I suppose I could just look it up on Wikipedia....but I'm not going to

Why next Tuesday? It's been over for a while. What does he hope to accomplish by waiting other than making us pay for his secret service detail?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

That should just about put an end to his political career. At least for POTUS, although if he wanted to seek a lower office, he might be successful. I think his timing was off. I almost believe he might have had better luck if he'd run last time around. Gingrich has some good ideas, and he has some that are bad. He's got a boldness that means he's not afraid to say something that might be focus grouped as trending unpopular, and that is getting increasingly rare these days. He reached his peak during his term as Speaker. But like Icarus, he flew too close to the sun and was never able to reach those heights again. It is the rare man who can achieve great things and not lose themselves in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    That should just about put an end to his political career. At least for POTUS, although if he wanted to seek a lower office, he might be successful. I think his timing was off. I almost believe he might have had better luck if he'd run last time around. Gingrich has some good ideas, and he has some that are bad. He's got a boldness that means he's not afraid to say something that might be focus grouped as trending unpopular, and that is getting increasingly rare these days. He reached his peak during his term as Speaker. But like Icarus, he flew too close to the sun and was never able to reach those heights again. It is the rare man who can achieve great things and not lose themselves in the process.
    I agree. I think Newt is a pretty damned smart guy. I think he would best serve the conservative cause by attacking the clear Liberal/Marxist slant of the academic establishment in this country and perhaps initiate a revolution there like he did in the House earlier in his career. I know that Ron Paul has focused a great deal of energy in this direction, so I think Gingrich's scholarly credentials would be a big plus in perhaps wresting the stronghold from the control of the Left.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

In the meantime he has embraced my hometown today. I wonder if he has started stumping for MItt, yet. And he must really like that Secret Service Detail to continue to waste our tax dollars.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    Yea, but will he ever tell us who this Saul Alinsky person he keeps mentioning is? I mean, I suppose I could just look it up on Wikipedia....but I'm not going to
    Put the bong away and back off the Valium.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Sort of annoyed that a candidate that probably talked about how we have too many "entitlement" programs for the poor wasted tax payer money on security for a campaign he knew he had already lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
    Yeah because the truth about who is is and his association with Hillary and Obama would make your pointy little head explode.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Sort of annoyed that a candidate that probably talked about how we have too many "entitlement" programs for the poor wasted tax payer money on security for a campaign he knew he had already lost.
    Yeah reminds me of someone who wastes tax payer money to fly to a foreign country to cut a campaign ad.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.