Thread: 'Body Worlds' exhibit of body donors [ cheaper than funeral, and people see you]

Hybrid View

1. #1 'Body Worlds' exhibit of body donors [ cheaper than funeral, and people see you] 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    'Body Worlds' exhibit inspires body donors [plastinating cheaper than funeral, and people see you]

South Los Angeles resident Erlyne Toney-Alvarez, 67, had always planned to be cremated when she died. Simple. Inexpensive. Graves, she said, are a waste of land occupied by the dead. Then she saw the intricately plastinated bodies at the Body Worlds exhibit at the California Science Center -- bodies that had been stripped of their fat, filled with plastics and shown off in all their muscular, organic and anatomical glory for the world to see in traveling shows. Now that, she thought, is the way she wants to go. "I was so excited," she said of seeing the exhibit with...
    http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/290493

Ick! I didn't see the show when it came through here. I understand the science part but it's really no different from any traveling cabinet of curiosities. You are paying money to see a freak show.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

My nursing class got a group together to go to this show and I didn't go. Just seems disrespectful to me.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

BSR
    I saw it out here in Seattle it was really interesting. The baby exhibit was hard to look at.

Banned
    I went to this when it came to town. Thought it was pretty cool.

The one creepy thing about is that it seems that through the whole exhibit they are trying to subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) persuade you to donate your corpse. Little pieces on the wall about death, and how honorable it is to let your remains be used for learning. Then after all that, there were applications at the end where you could sign up on the spot to have your body donated after you die. :p

I understand why so many people like it, but I just couldn't bring myself to go. I see a lot of death, and I've learned that, most of the time, there is little to no dignity in the death process. It just seems to me that there should be a little after death. But that's just my two cents. :)
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Ick! I didn't see the show when it came through here. I understand the science part but it's really no different from any traveling cabinet of curiosities. You are paying money to see a freak show.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Death will visit us all eventually. It's a part of life but I don't see any reason to display my old shrunken,withered up,decaying corpus to anyone .
    When I'm dead its just an empty shell to be disposed of in the most efficient way possible .Laying 'in state' in a metal box underground seems to me the height of ego .
    Waiting for the inevitable decaying back into dust is delayed and will never be complete so I will be cremated and put to work growing some nice flowers in a flower garden.
    All who have known and loved me in this life can then come and complain about the shitty job I am doing with the flowers,nothing ever really changes !