Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    How would you like me to vote on your marriage? Are you or your wife remarried? If so, then we should have the right to vote on it because it goes against traditional marriage. Feel intrusive? That's how gays feel.

I just watched a legal expert from Elon University talk about how the warnings was gave about amendment one are true. We also heard these warnings from experts from the UNC School of Law. North Carolinians took the words of ACTIVISTS over LAWYERS, so honestly I'm a little bit cold toward them right now. I can't help but think whatever happens to them in light of this new law, it's their own damn fault. I have this thing against WILLFUL ignorance.

Oh, and I was upset with Obama in 2010. I felt that he was too controlling. I felt he was bankrupting us, so I voted Republican for the most part. I'm not making this up, I did. I really did. For the first time in years, Republicans got a hold of the house and senate here. I ALWAYS knew Republican politicians in my state could NOT be trusted, but I did it anyway. Why is it that almost any time I vote Republican, I regret it? I expected the Republicans to lower some taxes here and to bring some jobs to the state. For the most part, they didn't lower taxes here. They're still high as hell. What they did was use their new power to target the gay people. I feel betrayed, and you know what? With the exception of Howard Coble, I will NEVER EVER, and I mean NEVER vote for another Republican again. NEVER.

And you know something else? Conservatives are really good with charity, but they're piss poor in regards to our healthcare needs on a legal basis. They proved that again tonight. I'm about to get completely behind Obamacare. 100% I was considering giving Romney a chance. I'm not convinced that Republican politicians are worthy of our trust. If you support this amendment, then you're not a reliable person to trust in regards to our healthcare.

And you want to know more? I'm facebook friends with the former president of the College Republicans on my campus. She was really snarky after Bush won last time. She spoke about how badly she was treated as a conservative woman. She went to law school. She actually knows this amendment. She just declared she won't vote Republican anymore after this. You don't know how many allies you pissed off with this. I may have been arguing with you all on the boards for years, but I often voted Republican. I totally did in 2010. I did so in 2006 for the most part. Not anymore. If this is what they do when they get power, then the heck with them. They may have gotten their way with this amendment, but I'll work tooth and nail to make sure they'll regret it in November. I'm not the only one.
    Wow! This is disappointing...

Why are you attacking SR and SLW? Do you know their marital backgrounds or religious beliefs? Stand back and take a breath...
    Secondly, what warnings did you hear?
    Third, don't be so quick to hand your freedoms and life over to any faceless entity (healthcare)

As for Republicans being "at fault", slow your roll sparky. This was a vote of, for and by the PEOPLE! Everyone with a vested interest in this, voted. Your side lost...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Did they have homosexual marriage before?
    No, and the chances of gay marriage being passed in a state like this was slim.

Meanwhile, NC did allow counties to choose whether they'd allow companies to extend benefits to unmarried domestic partners (not just gays). Very few counties took advantage of this, but some did. There were healthcare benefits for kids that might be up for grabs now.

Domestic violence laws did apply to unmarried couples, but it will now probably only apply to married couples because the amendment has to come before other state laws.

Legal experts warned us and warned us. NCers decided to take the word of activists over lawyers, which makes me very angry. The fact that they want to stick it to the gay people more than they care about our welfare severely upsets me. I mean it. I'm campaigning against the Republicans in this state now. All they care about is social conservativism. They don't care about social justice. They don't care about healthcare. They don't care about making sure domestic violence laws applies to all relevant parties. They only cared about their own self-righteousness. I won't have it. I trusted them to lower taxes and create jobs. This is what they used their power for. I should have known. I feel so guilty for voting for them now. I should have known. I knew the NC GOP was corrupt and untrustworthy. What was I thinking in 2010? My gosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Wow! This is disappointing...

Why are you attacking SR and SLW? Do you know their marital backgrounds or religious beliefs? Stand back and take a breath...
    Secondly, what warnings did you hear?
    Third, don't be so quick to hand your freedoms and life over to any faceless entity (healthcare)

As for Republicans being "at fault", slow your roll sparky. This was a vote of, for and by the PEOPLE! Everyone with a vested interest in this, voted. Your side lost...
    I wanted SR and others here to know what it felt like to be one of the gay people. It made me severely angry that he's okay with people's rights and personal lives being up for a vote. How would you like yours up for a vote? To feel like your life is intruded upon, because that's exactly how I feel about the Republicans right now. Limited government? Your side doesn't want that at all. They want theocracy. There were no secular arguments for this amendment. It was all religious.

You're not the only one who is disappointed. I honestly feel like people just didn't care about others here, like they wanted to stick it to the gays more badly than they wanted people to keep their healthcare. I thought if people didn't care about gays, then they'd at least care about their neighbors. They don't. They just don't care.

I might consider voting for Romney, MAYBE, BIG MAYBE. But honestly, these Republicans on a state level have to go. Once the effects of this law take place (DV laws being challenged, people losing healthcare, etc), I'll use it against them. It is going to happen because of them. I blame them for what's about to happen to people. I'll say this is happening and it's all their fault. The proponents said we were lying when really their side was. Legal experts are on our side. Only activists said we were lying.

I realize what I said earlier was offensive, but you all need to realize that your need to make your religion the law of the land is HURTING other people. I'm sick of you all not caring. I think you care after talking to you the other night, but these laws are too much to handle. The theocracy has to stop.

While we're at it, let's pass an amendment against birth control. I know I can find scripture to back this up and the church I go to will back it. Let's have an amendment against remarriage. Let's screw with people's lives more. Seriously, why can't your side just leave people alone?
    Last edited by Lanie; 05-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.

I have this thing against WILLFUL ignorance.
    Apparently not. When, in all of human history prior to the last ten years or so when plundering insurance pools set up to benefit families became a target for gay activists, has marriage EVER meant anything but a legally-binding social contract involving at least one man on one side, and at least one woman on the other?

You can pass a law making all cats dogs if you want, it doesn't make it true or useful.

I should have known. I knew the NC GOP was corrupt and untrustworthy. What was I thinking in 2010? My gosh.
    There was an awfully wide margin here for you to be this .ruffled, 59.72 percent to 40.28 percent.

This was not just republican support.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I wanted SR and others here to know what it felt like to be one of the gay people. It made me severely angry that he's okay with people's rights and personal lives being up for a vote. How would you like yours up for a vote? To feel like your life is intruded upon, because that's exactly how I feel about the Republicans right now. Limited government? Your side doesn't want that at all. They want theocracy. There were no secular arguments for this amendment. It was all religious.

You're not the only one who is disappointed. I honestly feel like people just didn't care about others here, like they wanted to stick it to the gays more badly than they wanted people to keep their healthcare. I thought if people didn't care about gays, then they'd at least care about their neighbors. They don't. They just don't care.

I might consider voting for Romney, MAYBE, BIG MAYBE. But honestly, these Republicans on a state level have to go. Once the effects of this law take place (DV laws being challenged, people losing healthcare, etc), I'll use it against them. It is going to happen because of them. I blame them for what's about to happen to people. I'll say this is happening and it's all their fault. The proponents said we were lying when really their side was. Legal experts are on our side. Only activists said we were lying.

I realize what I said earlier was offensive, but you all need to realize that your need to make your religion the law of the land is HURTING other people. I'm sick of you all not caring. I think you care after talking to you the other night, but these laws are too much to handle. The theocracy has to stop.

While we're at it, let's pass an amendment against birth control. I know I can find scripture to back this up and the church I go to will back it. Let's have an amendment against remarriage. Let's screw with people's lives more. Seriously, why can't your side just leave people alone?
    Are you even reading what you wrote, or are you simply going for hyperbole here? How is enforcing the will of the People expanding government? How is a state constitutional amendment defining what marriage is, going to rob people of their healthcare, or affect domestic violence laws? Legal experts? Really? Sounds more like scare-mongering. Think about it, are the police really going to walk away from Adam beating the crap out of Steve because of this amendment? Is Timmy's doctor going to refuse to see him because of this amendment?

Do me a favor, OK? Settle down tonite. Then come back tomorrow, and re-read what you wrote here, think about it. I would like examples of how domestic violence laws are now going to change and healthcare is affected by this amendment. If you have links, use them...

Will you do that, please?
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

How would you like me to vote on your marriage? Are you or your wife remarried? If so, then we should have the right to vote on it because it goes against traditional marriage. Feel intrusive? That's how gays feel.

I just watched a legal expert from Elon University talk about how the warnings was gave about amendment one are true. We also heard these warnings from experts from the UNC School of Law. North Carolinians took the words of ACTIVISTS over LAWYERS, so honestly I'm a little bit cold toward them right now. I can't help but think whatever happens to them in light of this new law, it's their own damn fault. I have this thing against WILLFUL ignorance.

Oh, and I was upset with Obama in 2010. I felt that he was too controlling. I felt he was bankrupting us, so I voted Republican for the most part. I'm not making this up, I did. I really did. For the first time in years, Republicans got a hold of the house and senate here. I ALWAYS knew Republican politicians in my state could NOT be trusted, but I did it anyway. Why is it that almost any time I vote Republican, I regret it? I expected the Republicans to lower some taxes here and to bring some jobs to the state. For the most part, they didn't lower taxes here. They're still high as hell. What they did was use their new power to target the gay people. I feel betrayed, and you know what? With the exception of Howard Coble, I will NEVER EVER, and I mean NEVER vote for another Republican again. NEVER.

And you know something else? Conservatives are really good with charity, but they're piss poor in regards to our healthcare needs on a legal basis. They proved that again tonight. I'm about to get completely behind Obamacare. 100% I was considering giving Romney a chance. I'm not convinced that Republican politicians are worthy of our trust. If you support this amendment, then you're not a reliable person to trust in regards to our healthcare.

And you want to know more? I'm facebook friends with the former president of the College Republicans on my campus. She was really snarky after Bush won last time. She spoke about how badly she was treated as a conservative woman. She went to law school. She actually knows this amendment. She just declared she won't vote Republican anymore after this. You don't know how many allies you pissed off with this. I may have been arguing with you all on the boards for years, but I often voted Republican. I totally did in 2010. I did so in 2006 for the most part. Not anymore. If this is what they do when they get power, then the heck with them. They may have gotten their way with this amendment, but I'll work tooth and nail to make sure they'll regret it in November. I'm not the only one.
    Lanie/Bridget...I mean this from the bottom of my heart...deeply and sincerely...

GFYS.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    No, and the chances of gay marriage being passed in a state like this was slim.

Meanwhile, NC did allow counties to choose whether they'd allow companies to extend benefits to unmarried domestic partners (not just gays). Very few counties took advantage of this, but some did. There were healthcare benefits for kids that might be up for grabs now.

Domestic violence laws did apply to unmarried couples, but it will now probably only apply to married couples because the amendment has to come before other state laws.

Legal experts warned us and warned us. NCers decided to take the word of activists over lawyers, which makes me very angry. The fact that they want to stick it to the gay people more than they care about our welfare severely upsets me. I mean it. I'm campaigning against the Republicans in this state now. All they care about is social conservativism. They don't care about social justice. They don't care about healthcare. They don't care about making sure domestic violence laws applies to all relevant parties. They only cared about their own self-righteousness. I won't have it. I trusted them to lower taxes and create jobs. This is what they used their power for. I should have known. I feel so guilty for voting for them now. I should have known. I knew the NC GOP was corrupt and untrustworthy. What was I thinking in 2010? My gosh.

Lanie, correct me if I am wrong, but the Republicans you voted for, did NOT vote this in. It was the voting public in a DIRECT vote, not the representatives from either party.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Lanie, correct me if I am wrong, but the Republicans you voted for, did NOT vote this in. It was the voting public in a DIRECT vote, not the representatives from either party.
    And everytime it's put to a direct vote...the people speak in loud numbers that they don't want gay marriage.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

dejo1957
    2. Black turnout was high.

That is not good for any measure like this.
    NYC_SKP
    18. Your a disruptive little mother fucker, ain't ya?

You fuckwad, trying to come in here and pit LGBT against African-Americans?

Really?

Eat shit and die, you turd.

And tell your asshole friends.
    God ol skippy got his panties in an uproar
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land