Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Slavery, another issue that was supposed to be about states rights.

How many times should the minority be trampled upon for states rights? This state amendment directly conflicts with 14th amendment (which didn't say it was only for slavery). The entire constitution matters, not just when you think it should matter.

Oh, and Obama just wants to get re-elected. Sort of like your candidate, Flip Romney, who can't make up his mind whether he's for gay rights or for a marriage amendment. Who can't make up his mind whether he's for or against so called obamacare (which he did first in his own state). Think of stuff he did in his own state, Tx. Then tell me you honestly think he's not flipping.

But with that being said, he's tied a dog on the back of a car and that's too much for me to handle.
    Lanie, states constantly curtail privileges (see my above post)

As for Romney, he was choosen for us and we are now stuck with him. As for his dog. he was in a kennel ON TOP of the car, which was a common practice... thank God he wasn't placed next to a side of rice!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Slavery, another issue that was supposed to be about states rights.

How many times should the minority be trampled upon for states rights? This state amendment directly conflicts with 14th amendment (which didn't say it was only for slavery). The entire constitution matters, not just when you think it should matter.

Oh, and Obama just wants to get re-elected. Sort of like your candidate, Flip Romney, who can't make up his mind whether he's for gay rights or for a marriage amendment. Who can't make up his mind whether he's for or against so called obamacare (which he did first in his own state). Think of stuff he did in his own state, Tx. Then tell me you honestly think he's not flipping.

But with that being said, he's tied a dog on the back of a car and that's too much for me to handle.
    Lanie, Lanie, you're such a garden of misinformation. I've been reading through all your posts on this thread. You've been drinking the Kool-Aid so much that you keep bringing up all the old stuff, but with a twist. It was supposedly 30 or more years ago, and the dog was in a crate on the top of the car, not dragging a dog by the back of the car.

I've done a lot of volunteer work with canines and with taking dogs to nursing homes. I think Romney did something stupid, but not deliberately harmful. Handle it. How are you handling Obama's own statements that he ate dogs?

This whole gotcha thing is too ridiculous. Settle down. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but they just get so long and drawn out.

And in another post you made one of your pronouncements about the Catholic church and marriage, relating to people who remarried. You must belong to a very hard-line church. I personally know people in St Louis, both previously married, both good people, who were married in the Catholic Church without annulments. (And no, it wasn't me, just some relatives). It depends on the individual church and the interpretation of the pastor.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Lanie, states constantly curtail privileges (see my above post)

As for Romney, he was choosen for us and we are now stuck with him. As for his dog. he was in a kennel ON TOP of the car, which was a common practice... thank God he wasn't placed next to a side of rice!
    Sorry, didn't see your reply to Lanie or I wouldn't have replied---have been trying to stay out of it. I just couldn't stand the latest silly accusation. Thank God your replies are briefer than Lanie's or mine.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Oh, Lanie...

Okay, time for some discussion. First, please tell me exactly what you think defines a marriage, and why marriage is important.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Sorry, didn't see your reply to Lanie or I wouldn't have replied---have been trying to stay out of it. I just couldn't stand the latest silly accusation. Thank God your replies are briefer than Lanie's or mine.
    No worries, fair lady...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Lanie, Lanie, you're such a garden of misinformation. I've been reading through all your posts on this thread. You've been drinking the Kool-Aid so much that you keep bringing up all the old stuff, but with a twist. It was supposedly 30 or more years ago, and the dog was in a crate on the top of the car, not dragging a dog by the back of the car.

I've done a lot of volunteer work with canines and with taking dogs to nursing homes. I think Romney did something stupid, but not deliberately harmful. Handle it. How are you handling Obama's own statements that he ate dogs?

This whole gotcha thing is too ridiculous. Settle down. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but they just get so long and drawn out.

And in another post you made one of your pronouncements about the Catholic church and marriage, relating to people who remarried. You must belong to a very hard-line church. I personally know people in St Louis, both previously married, both good people, who were married in the Catholic Church without annulments. (And no, it wasn't me, just some relatives). It depends on the individual church and the interpretation of the pastor.
    Obama said he ate dogs? I'll have to look into this.

You might be frightened to know I have settled down since last week. lol. As for things being long and drawn out, you might notice that I'm usually the one who walks away from these fights on the board. That's because I'm one and there are several others. I usually don't keep it up. I actually walked away from this thread for a week just to see that it was still hot and going on its own. So, I don't think I'm the only one who draws things out. I think it might be bothering you that I'm keeping on more than usual. That's because right now I have a lot of convictions. They're very strong. They're as strong or stronger than the conservatives in this thread. I feel like it's actually immoral to be silent on the issues right now. I haven't felt this way in eight years. That said, I'm not going to help win an election by arguing on a message board, so there you go.

Wanted to address the church thing though. Needing annulments is Catholic church ideology. It's been that way in every Catholic church I attended as far as I know. That's just the ideology.

http://www.aboutcatholics.com/worshi...ts_remarriage/

The Catholic Church does not permit divorce for valid sacramental marriages. In fact a valid sacramental marriage is impossible to dissolve thereby making divorce not possible if the marriage was sacramental.

In marriage, the two become one flesh in a union joined by God, (Mark 10:8). Jesus speaks about divorce: "Therefore what God has joined together, no human being must separate," (Mark 10:9). So for a marriage that meets the requirements of being a sacrament, divorce in the Catholic Church is not possible.

The annulment process is by which a marriage is determined whether or not it is valid, it is not a Catholic divorce process. If it found to be invalid (not meeting the requirements of a sacramental marriage) then an annulment would be granted.

snip

If I am Catholic and divorced can I get remarried?

Perhaps, but only if you have received an annulment (which means your previous marriage was not considered a valid sacrament). If you receive a civil divorce, but no annulment, then you are still married to the other person in the eyes of the Church and would be committing adultery if you married another.

Jesus says, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery," (Mark 10:11-12).

Not sure why the Catholics you know are getting away with it so to speak. I guess it's for the same reason other Catholics are getting away with using birth control. The church is simply lightening up to a point.The rules are still technically in place though. But even if only a few churches were refusing to recognize divorced couples as remarried, my point still stands. There are legal marriages that some churches do not recognize as valid and the church's rights are not violated.

And I still have very strong convictions that say it's wrong to condemn homosexual marriage all the while supporting remarriage. With remarriage, we usually say it's between them and God, right? Why can't we say the same with homosexual marriage? I could understand the attitude if homosexuality was about having sex with teenage boys to make them learn to be men (which is btw, what Paul was probably hearing about), but two of the same gender in love and staying with each other for years? Far more years than a lot of the heterosexuals I know? No. Not the same thing at all. And I also want to say it's still wrong to be condemning homosexual marriage all the while refusing to wait until marriage. I'm telling you probably 98% of the people condemning homosexual marriages are being hypocrites. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Oh, Lanie...

Okay, time for some discussion. First, please tell me exactly what you think defines a marriage, and why marriage is important.
    Marriage is between two people who make a lifetime commitment. They do this either because they love each other or they simply agree to spend the rest of their lives with each other (taking pre-arranged marriages into consideration, which oddly enough last more often than our culture's do).

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I didn't realize that gays are being held in...or recenty been released from slavery and needed Federal protection so one state wouldn't recognize their free status even though another did.

You do realize that the 14th is part of a trio of Amendments known as the "Civil War" amendments don't you?

No of course not...you just believe what you're told by those driving the agenda that "the 14th Amendment says gays can marry".

So, are you saying that the constitution shouldn't be taken literally and should be up for interpretation as supposedly only applying to slavery?

Interesting. You may get your blue card in the left hallway. lol

Okay, enough for tonight.

Marriage is between two people who make a lifetime commitment. They do this either because they love each other or they simply agree to spend the rest of their lives with each other (taking pre-arranged marriages into consideration, which oddly enough last more often than our culture's do).
    Interesting, but that isn't what it meant to the people who wrote the Constitution, the 14th Amendment (You were pretty shameless about putting words TRG didn't say in his mouth on that one, I must say), the 1965 Civil Rights Act, the 1991 Civil Rights Act, or anyone leaving us notes about any human society in the last 6,000 or so years of more-or-less recorded human history up until AIDS, and the possibility of raiding group health insurance pools designed to protect dependent family members to pay for treatment of it, came on the scene.

So, are you saying that the constitution shouldn't be taken literally and should be up for interpretation as supposedly only applying to slavery?
    No you obtuse turd.

Here...let me break it down for you...it seems to me that you have zero understanding of the Constitution and the 14th Amendment.

For starters, the Supreme Court has made it clear that the guarantee of equal treatment within the equal protection clause does not mean that governments cannot ever treat different people differently. States need not permit children to drive cars, for example, nor must they allow senior citizens to enroll in grammar school. As a basic rule, the Court has said that it is reasonable for states to build categories or classifications into the laws that they pass, and in fact, the "rational basis test" is one of the standards used by the courts to determine whether these classifications are fair. Also known as the Lindsley test, this standard says that if the reasons for treating people differently are reasonable and logically related to the law's purpose, then they are constitutional.

Now that being said...let me explain for your stupid ass why the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments are referred to as the "Civil War" Amendments...since you seem to be enveloped in stupid today.

The Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments were important to the Civil Rights Movement. The Thirteenth Amendment ended slavery in the United States. The Fourteenth Amendment allowed Blacks to have the same rights as Whites. The Fifteenth Amendment allowed Blacks to vote. Although many people were against the amendments at first, the amendments were very helpful for the Civil Rights Movement.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/J01123...amendments.htm

If you relied on more than the stupid shit you read at DU to "inform" you about these serious grown up issues you wouldn't continue to look like such an ignorant jackass when you hit send.

Okay, enough for tonight.
    You know you're stupid when you're sober...you should avoid posting on here when you're drunk.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.