Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think Obama originally planned to announce his support for gay marriage after the election, if he gets re-elected, that is, but feels pressure now to shore up the liberal base.

I read somewhere the plan was for him to change his "Hope & Change" heart right before he accepted the nomination but all this horseshit with Biden and NC had him move it up. Whatever...
    May the FORCE be with you!

You know this whole same sex marriage thing is a wonderful distraction for obama. It is distracting people from his failing economy. Even though he just shot himself in the foot.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    You know this whole same sex marriage thing is a wonderful distraction for obama. It is distracting people from his failing economy. Even though he just shot himself in the foot.
    I'm not sure he shot himself in the foot on this one. Did anyone who vehemently opposes gay marriage vote for him in 2008? I doubt it. The election is about the economy, not social issues.

This should put the whole "secret muslim" theory to rest, though. Muslims do not tolerate homosexuality well.

Hopefully the non-moonbat in all parties will realize that this 'evolution' means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Obama will make no moves federally on this and the only thing different since he said he supports it is that people know what he FEELS about it. Big whoop.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

I'm not sure he shot himself in the foot on this one. Did anyone who vehemently opposes gay marriage vote for him in 2008? I doubt it. The election is about the economy, not social issues.

This should put the whole "secret muslim" theory to rest, though. Muslims do not tolerate homosexuality well.
    Yes, a LOT of people who vehemently opposed gay marriage voted for him in 2008. For example, the overwhelming majority of Black people in California voted for Obama and also voted to strike down gay marriage in California on the very same ballot.

I see this as a concession that he knew and knows that he can't win North Carolina. Scratch one swing state.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Wow. Skinner actually admitted that he tolerates no deviation from the party line. They don't even know what good little Stalinists they are.
    You get tombstoned for expressing the wrong thought on DU.

It use to be the wackos of the world sent you to a " camp " for saying the wrong thing; wonder if DU wished they had that power?
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

You've clearly never been to Kabul on a Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Yes, a LOT of people who vehemently opposed gay marriage voted for him in 2008. For example, the overwhelming majority of Black people in California voted for Obama and also voted to strike down gay marriage in California on the very same ballot.

I see this as a concession that he knew and knows that he can't win North Carolina. Scratch one swing state.
    We have to look at the advantages and disadvantages of this move in order to determine whether or not it's a calculated part of a plan, or a blownbrain ad lib.

Advantages:
    • Fires up the progressive base, which liberates a lot of funding from gays who might have been reticent about supporting Obama after his tepid support for their agenda.
    • Continues the meme of "uptight Republicans opposing sexual liberation", which dovetails with his attempts to declare that there is a Republican war against birth control.
    Disadvantages:
    • Alienates anyone not firmly in the gay marriage camp, which includes large majorities of blacks and Latinos (although it is not likely to impact the black vote that much, as racial solidarity is going to trump everything else).
    • Will play very badly in several swing states, especially North Carolina.

So, why does Obama want to fire up the base at the expense of alienating swing voters? I think that this exposes Obama's election strategy. Obama clearly sees that Romney's support is not that enthusiastic, so his goal is to fire up his own base and hope that Republican turnout doesn't match it. In order to do this, he has to abandon any pretense of centrism and count on turnout among progressives and other Democratic constituencies to overcome the votes that he has lost among independents, and hope that Romney cannot generate any enthusiasm among Republicans, conservatives and independents. Throw in enough ACORN-style fraud, and he may have a chance, but I think that it's a longshot.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    So, why does Obama want to fire up the base at the expense of alienating swing voters? I think that this exposes Obama's election strategy. Obama clearly sees that Romney's support is not that enthusiastic, so his goal is to fire up his own base and hope that Republican turnout doesn't match it. In order to do this, he has to abandon any pretense of centrism and count on turnout among progressives and other Democratic constituencies to overcome the votes that he has lost among independents, and hope that Romney cannot generate any enthusiasm among Republicans, conservatives and independents. Throw in enough ACORN-style fraud, and he may have a chance, but I think that it's a longshot.
    I agree, though I'm not sure how wise it is from an electoral standpoint. It seems to me that he's just basically conceded North Carolina and Florida at the minimum, and I suspect Virginia as well, MAYBE even Pennsylvania.To paraphrase Captain Renault: how extravagant he is, throwing away swing states like that; some day they might become scarce! I don't see how he gets to 270 without at least one of either Virginia or Pennsylvania.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    MAYBE even Pennsylvania
    Pennsylvania is definitely in play. The PA VRWC is having high level meetings now about how we're going to get to the machines. We're gonna dump in a trojan horse or just get to the cops as they take the results back. ;)

I believe New Jersey could go R too.
    Be Not Afraid.