Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 I'm a teacher, and I will be making the following announcement to all my classes 
    LetTimmySmoke

I'm a teacher, and I will be making the following announcement to all my classes tomorrow:

There's a controversy in the media over an assault on a gay student being called a "harmless prank." The student was pinned down, and his hair was forcibly cut. Let me be clear. Neither myself nor any staff at this school consider behavior like that to be a "harmless prank." We consider it assault. Do you understand?.......Do you have any questions?
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002673486

I am leaning towards a bouncy...the pot must be getting to her head.
    Lets just paint some happy clouds over at the sunshine and lollipop land

Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002673486

I am leaning towards a bouncy...the pot must be getting to her head.
    Well, technically, she's right. Today, that would be assault. In fact, it was back then, too, but I suspect that the haircut had more to do with the kid being a hippie than gay. As long as she doesn't mention a specific candidate, she's not actually doing anything wrong.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    I don't see where she is going to disclose this happened almost a half century ago.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Well, technically, she's right. Today, that would be assault. In fact, it was back then, too, but I suspect that the haircut had more to do with the kid being a hippie than gay.

Doucher male pack hazing singles out the different, the non-conformist, and the least likely to fight back with any effectiveness.

The "presumed" gay part of this story is editorial bullshit. This was generic asshole behavior found in just about any setting where teenage (even adult) males are gathered from high school to church camp.

It is a non-story.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Doucher male pack hazing singles out the different, the non-conformist, and the least likely to fight back with any effectiveness.

The "presumed" gay part of this story is editorial bullshit. This was generic asshole behavior found in just about any setting where teenage (even adult) males are gathered from high school to church camp.

It is a non-story.
    Yes, it is. But the Washington Post spent quite a bit of time and money on it. Meanwhile, what was Obama's college GPA? How did a self-described "mediocre" student get into Harvard?
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Yes, it is. But the Washington Post spent quite a bit of time and money on it. Meanwhile, what was Obama's college GPA? How did a self-described "mediocre" student get into Harvard?
    Well, there is that pesky affirmative action thing that makes schools accept minorities based on their skin color rather than their character or gpa....

I love how this is considered "assualt", it's hair it will grow back ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbins View Post
    Well, there is that pesky affirmative action thing that makes schools accept minorities based on their skin color rather than their character or gpa....

I love how this is considered "assualt", it's hair it will grow back ffs.
    Any physical contact can be characterized as assault, and holding somebody down while you cut their hair qualifies.

I'm not saying that this should invalidate Romney's candidacy, or that it's even revelant to the election, only that 47 years ago, in high school, he participated in the bullying of another kid in a way which would have gotten him charged with assault today. I also am saying that if this is fair game, then I want the media to provide the same scrutiny to Obama's history, including his high school and college years, his travels to Pakistan, his associations with radicals throughout his life and his conduct as an adult. I don't expect it to happen, but I do expect us to get in the faces of the Washington Post's reps and demand to know why they aren't doing their due diligence.
    --Odysseus

Yes. This is certainly a man-bites-dog story. You never see one of those about Obama.

............ How did a self-described "mediocre" student get into Harvard?......
    That's going to be a tough one for DU to address. After all, they have been proclaiming for years that a "moron" got into Yale. They want us to forget that this same "moron" got into Harvard Business School, too.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    That's going to be a tough one for DU to address.

Not at all, they just call the person saying it a racist and move on.
    May the FORCE be with you!