Thread: If marriage is a civil right, how can our President leave it to the individual states

1. #1 If marriage is a civil right, how can our President leave it to the individual states 
    link

Star Member Bonobo (17,250 posts)

If marriage is a civil right, how can our President leave it to the individual states?
    Should this civil right not be enforced by the Federal govt. like other civil rights?

Claiming something should be left to the states to determine... isn't that what Republicans say for issues like abortion, etc.?
    Obama's just arrogant enough to think that he could get away with something like this once he doesn't have to stand for another election....and the left wouldn't even blink.
    Star Member Zorra (15,342 posts)
    9. Maybe this is what he has to do...

I have something to say to you all here, words that should not ever have been necessary for a Commander-in-Chief of the United States to speak. Unfortunately, circumstances have compelled me to come before you, the people of this nation, in the name of human decency, justice, and equality.

Before I begin, I would like to reiterate a statement made by the late Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a statement I hold dear to my heart, and I say it here, as it were my own:

"I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

"With this idea in my heart and mind, I, Barack Obama, in accordance with my duty as President of the United States of America, on this fourth day of July, in the year of 2012, proclaim that all persons whose equal human rights are not recognized within any State or designated part of a State, shall be then, thenceforward, be legally entitled, in the name of human decency, and protected by dictates and force of law, allowed to employ and enjoy their fully deserved human rights; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, in any efforts they may make in the exercise of their actual freedom.

Now, therefore I, Barack Obama, President of the United States, by virtue of the power in me vested as Commander-in-Chief, and for the purpose aforesaid, I do order and declare that all persons whose Constitutional rights and protections have been previously denied them in and by any state, are now entitled to full equal rights, and any abridgment of such rights by any state, whether or not said state has legislated to deny any of its citizens their justly deserved equal rights, is committing a crime against the People of the United States of America, in the entirety of that body.

I hereby declare that any and all state enacted legislation that now, or in the future, restricts or may restrict the equal rights of any citizen and or group of citizens solely based on their sexual or gender orientation, is now and forever moot, and hereby illegal, under auspices of the Constitution of the United States.

And upon this act, sincerely believed to be an act of justice, warranted by the Constitution, even upon military necessity, I invoke the considerate judgment of mankind.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed to an Executive Presidential Order, declaring that every single citizen of the United States shall forthwith enjoy the same unequivocal human rights that any and all United States citizens are legally entitled to, under the protection of the Federal Government as authorized by the Constitution of the United States.

Thank you all for your kind attention. I hope you all have a wonderful day. I plan to."

Because marriage isn't a civil right, that's why.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

If homosexual marriage was protected by the constitution wouldn't sodomites have started getting married 230 years ago. If it was intended to be legal by the fathers of our country I would assume that would have been the case.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    It's also typical of how well the DUmmies listen to what's being said. Obama says its a "states rights"'issue and the Libtards hear "civil rights". They aren't smart enough to know the difference between the two.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    The Supreme Court in Loving v. Virginia declared it as such with respect to interracial couples. That doesn't mean it applies to gay couples, but that's where the argument stems from.

A Homosexual can marry a lesbian. No ones civil rights being violated.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.