Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    My point is you darn well knew what she/he was talking about. You just had to correct a trivial point.
    You can always ignore my posts, but for some reason you never do.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    meh i am combative and I hate grammar/spelling nazi's as a general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    And now there's 12 irrelevant posts to this thread because you can't control yourself.
    Be Not Afraid.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They've had the ability to monitor energy use for a while-the DEA does it all the time to bust people who grow weed at home.

The City of Warren recently installed new water meters, so that they can drive by the house waving a monitor and pick up everyone's info for billing.

I'm not thrilled in either case, but it would cross another line to give the utility companies government authorization to control individual usage. I'm not sure how the courts would rule on that.
    A lot of utilities (probably all of them but I don't know this for sure) began installing 'smart' meters and other grid enhancing devices several years ago using government handouts given to them under the guise of 'stimulus' money. Smart grids in themselves are not sinister in the least. They allow the utility to more efficiently distribute their energy product. The bottom line is that utilities want to sell more energy products, not less. And in a laissez faire capitalist environment the utility meets the demand efficiently, the customer sets his thermostat where ever the hell he pleases and everybody is happy. But when .gov gets involved, everything changes...................
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    A lot of utilities (probably all of them but I don't know this for sure) began installing 'smart' meters and other grid enhancing devices several years ago using government handouts given to them under the guise of 'stimulus' money. Smart grids in themselves are not sinister in the least. They allow the utility to more efficiently distribute their energy product. The bottom line is that utilities want to sell more energy products, not less. And in a laissez faire capitalist environment the utility meets the demand efficiently, the customer sets his thermostat where ever the hell he pleases and everybody is happy. But when .gov gets involved, everything changes...................
    In California (of course) PG&E is already using remote controlled thermostats in subscribers homes to control their environmental settings (depending on their system load), but they are easy to disable with an EPROM burner.....there is a HUGE cottage industry being set up to program them to send fake info to the utilities.

Without a warrant, there is nothing that the utility can do about it.

doc

Some towns have mandatory black out periods during peak use.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVDOC View Post
    In California (of course) PG&E is already using remote controlled thermostats in subscribers homes to control their environmental settings (depending on their system load), but they are easy to disable with an EPROM burner.....there is a HUGE cottage industry being set up to program them to send fake info to the utilities.

Without a warrant, there is nothing that the utility can do about it.

doc
    By 'subscribers' you mean voluntary, right? (at least for now.....)
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ