1. #1 Stephanie Curcio: Palin puts career before children 
    Stephanie Curcio: Palin puts career before children

16 hours, 55 minutes ago

Like almost everyone else in this country, I was taken aback by Sen. John McCain's announcement of Sarah Palin to be his running mate in the coming election. I was eager to find out more about her, especially since Sen. McCain's age and bouts with cancer increase the risk of his not being able to complete his term in office, thus making this unknown quantity a possible President of the United States. What I have learned about Mrs. Palin is utterly appalling!

That she is inexperienced is painfully obvious. How a man like John McCain, who spent months ranting about Barack Obama's inexperience, could select this "yokel" by comparison is beyond ridiculous! The absolute disdain for the American people and disrespect for the office of President that this move displays is profound. Clearly the political gamesmanship and grinding desire to win at all costs has turned him into someone none of us would have believed he could be.

But more important is what I see of Gov. Palin as a woman. She is a mother to five young children, one of whom is only months old and has special needs. Now this is a woman who vehemently supports life and opposes abortion. Great! But who, then, is going to take care of this child with special needs, not to mention the other children, while their mother pursues the role of U.S. vice president?

It is one thing to say that babies are a gift from God and to abort them is murder. But to abandon them is another form of murder -- murder of their spirit. In my opinion, that is what she is doing.

Then there is the issue of her pregnant teenage daughter. One of the most common attacks teens level at their parents is, "You are ruining my life!" In this case, she would be absolutely right. There is not a single media source, politician or interested human being at home or abroad who does not now know that this young girl made a tragic mistake. There is no place for her to hide. There is certainly no room for her to make any kind of personal choices about her body, her child or the rest of her life! How does a mother who is supposed to be such a wonderful, Christian, respectable, strong woman find it in her heart to do this to her teenage daughter? How does she find it in her heart to pursue her career with no concern at all for what it will do to the family she was determined to have at all costs? Nobody in this country who knows anything at all about politics could possibly believe that there is a shred of privacy possible when running for office. If that is what she thought, then she is also a fool.

No way could I ever respect, much less vote for, a person who displays such reckless abandonment of her maternal role in pursuit of power, money and all that goes with a life in politics. This woman is no "Hillary"!

Hillary did her mother bit long ago. She then proceeded to build her political career gradually and wisely. Sarah Palin is no substitute for the excellence and integrity of Hillary Clinton. Gov. Palin's naked ambition disgusts me. Sen. McCain's choice of her disgusts me. The Religious Right's acclamation of her as a wonderful candidate disgusts me. God help us all if McCain and Palin are voted into the White House.

Stephanie Curcio of Stratham is a harpist and publisher of music arranged for harp.
    Well, she's a harpy anyway. Be sure to read the Comments. They are choice.

Union Leader

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I recall wondering if the far right stay at home mom crowd was going to attack her for not being "one of them". I think it's hilarious that these attacks are coming from everywhere else.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I recall wondering if the far right stay at home mom crowd was going to attack her for not being "one of them". I think it's hilarious that these attacks are coming from everywhere else.
    Who is Stephanie Curcio?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Who is Stephanie Curcio?
    Some chick who writes harp music. Now that's a muscular demographic!.

As someone who will work outside the home once I'm a mother, I find it really ironic that the far left feminist crowd is using Palin's working mom status against her. Do they not understand the hypocrisy in that argument?

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebug View Post
    As someone who will work outside the home once I'm a mother, I find it really ironic that the far left feminist crowd is using Palin's working mom status against her. Do they not understand the hypocrisy in that argument?
    No, they don't. Most high level feminists are academics or journalists. They never have to worry about balancing the work/life thingy because they don't experience it. They have telecommute, work-at-home, and on-site day care schemes. They assume that women who do not have access to these options are automatically bad mothers.

These are women who routinely farm their own kids out to day care and "activities" but who couldn't possibly work a 40 hour/week job and have kids or dogs (it would be cruel). These women don't have or don't trust their "co-parents" to actually raise a child (or dog).

Bizarrely, these women are completely out of touch with history. The average farm wife did not spend much, if any, "quality time" with her brood. She worked. Somehow, those kids managed to become civilized and productive without her constant 24/7 attention.

While I think that an on-site parent is ideal, it's certainly not the standard and never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiebug View Post
    silly katiebug - only republicans are hypocrites. Don't you know anything???
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.