Thread: African-American Church Leaders Condemn Obama For Gay Marriage Support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1 African-American Church Leaders Condemn Obama For Gay Marriage Support 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,097
    ALTIMORE (WJZ)– Just days after President Barack Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage, pastors and priests around Maryland took to their own pulpits with their reaction– and in some cases– condemnation of the president.

    Derek Valcourt explains the president’s comments have folks on both sides of the issue fired up.

    Both sides hope the president’s position helps sway votes in their favor when the issue hits Maryland’s ballot this November.

    “I think same-sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama said.

    When Obama announced that his position on same-sex marriage had evolved, it outraged some African-American pastors like Pastor and Del. Emmett Burns.

    “He has said to his base, African-Americans, ‘I am going against your beliefs and your thoughts,’” Burns said.

    He’s so opposed to same-sex marriage, he told church members he will no longer support the president and now predicts Obama will lose the election because of it.

    He and many other leaders are pouring their energies into gathering the signatures needed to put Maryland’s same-sex marriage law on the November ballot.

    “I think it might be a call to action for people to really express what they believe,” Father Erik Arnold of Our Lady of Perpetual Help said.

    In Maryland, some of the strongest opposition to the law has come from the black community– about 30 percent of the population. Some African-American religious leaders are preaching about it

    “God said in every home, there needs to be a representation of his glory through manhood and femininity,” Pastor Harry Jackson, Hope Christian Church in Beltsville, said.

    “To me, this is an issue of the separation of church and state,” Pastor Delman Coates, Enon Baptist Church in Clinton, said.

    Coates is one of the few black pastors who supports the current law.

    “We should not allow our subjective theological understandings prevent other citizens of this country from having equal rights,” he said.

    So far, voters in 30 states have rejected same-sex marriage

    But equality advocates in Maryland believe the president’s comments are a sign of the changing tide.

    “The momentum is shifting. I think things are definitely shifting in our direction here,” Ezekiel Jackson of Marylanders for Marriage Equality said.

    Many African-American pastors say they will still support the president in November even though they may not agree with him on this particular issue.

    The president’s announcement that he supports same-sex marriage came just one day after voters in North Carolina banned same-sex unions.
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/0...vember-ballot/
    This will make no significant difference to how the black community will vote.
    Until the black community starts demonstrating their morality in their actions, talk is cheap.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,358
    So far, voters in 30 states have rejected same-sex marriage

    But equality advocates in Maryland believe the president’s comments are a sign of the changing tide.

    “The momentum is shifting. I think things are definitely shifting in our direction here,” Ezekiel Jackson of Marylanders for Marriage Equality said.

    Dateline: All 30 states reverse anti gay marriage law because of Obama's support!


    Yeah, right.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,865
    95% of those preacher's congregations will still vote for Obama.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    95% of those preacher's congregations will still vote for Obama.
    Maybe. But I suspect that a lot of them are going to sit on their hands. I don't think that the black vote is anywhere nearly as energized as they were the last time around, especially given the failures of Obama's administration. Black unemployment is a huge problem, and yet Obama has done nothing to protect job creators and everything to punish them. But, he has found time to talk about his "evolution" on an issue that they vehemently disagree with (and which he is still not going to do anything about). He may still get 95% of the black vote, but it will be 95% of a smaller turnout.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    11,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Maybe. But I suspect that a lot of them are going to sit on their hands. I don't think that the black vote is anywhere nearly as energized as they were the last time around, especially given the failures of Obama's administration. Black unemployment is a huge problem, and yet Obama has done nothing to protect job creators and everything to punish them. But, he has found time to talk about his "evolution" on an issue that they vehemently disagree with (and which he is still not going to do anything about). He may still get 95% of the black vote, but it will be 95% of a smaller turnout.



    Keep on telling yourself that.

    The black voters care far more about having a black president than they do about gay marriage. Don't think this is going to keep many home on election day. None of my coworkers are staying home over this, and most of my black coworkers think gay marriage should not be legal. They don't blame Obama for the economic problems, they blame Bush and all republicans. Romney is a rich white man who enjoyed firing people more than Donald Trump. That's the message around here, at least.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Keep on telling yourself that.

    The black voters care far more about having a black president than they do about gay marriage. Don't think this is going to keep many home on election day. None of my coworkers are staying home over this, and most of my black coworkers think gay marriage should not be legal. They don't blame Obama for the economic problems, they blame Bush and all republicans. Romney is a rich white man who enjoyed firing people more than Donald Trump. That's the message around here, at least.
    Could be. But your co-workers, as the term implies, have jobs, and let's face it, they are government employees engaged in social work. I'd be shocked if they weren't pushing the Democratic Party line with a vengeance. However, there is a black middle class out there that doesn't depend on the government for its paycheck, that works in the private sector, and is hurting. Some of them are hope'n'changed out, and have no patience for more hype. Not a huge percentage, maybe, but it doesn't have to be a huge percentage, especially in the swing states. And, let's not forget that there's another demographic group that is not going to be as supportive. Latinos don't particularly care about the first black president, don't blame Bush anymore and don't favor gay marriage. Obama needs to maintain the same turnout and percentage of the Latino vote to stay in office, and that's looking increasingly less likely, especially with states like Florida purging the voter registration rolls of ineligible voters.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western MI
    Posts
    2,358
    On this side of Michigan (West), there is a lot of black voter apathy. The people I've talked to give lip service to His Majesty, but aren't enthusiastic about voting this year. He isn't paying their mortgage or putting gas in the car or anything else he promised (or so they thought he promised). I agree that those that do vote will overwhelmingly vote for Obama but not as many will vote.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.



    Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    ...... there is a black middle class out there that doesn't depend on the government for its paycheck, that works in the private sector, and is hurting.
    I would disagree that this is a significant subset. Now whether they realize it or not is another matter. Other than banking, retail, food processing, and hospitality, I have known very few black people with jobs who don't work for the government. Those exceptions do not generate middle class income.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,323
    If the talking heads know what they're talking about, Ody might be right. Black voters might be more likely to stay home rather than vote for Romney. The numbers will still be 95% but the actual amount will be smaller. The reason the % will still be 95 is because blacks are for color first while all else is a distant 2nd. If Cain were the nominee, then political leanings would trump color but only in that instance. Colin Powell should be proof enough of my theory.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If the talking heads know what they're talking about, Ody might be right. Black voters might be more likely to stay home rather than vote for Romney. The numbers will still be 95% but the actual amount will be smaller. The reason the % will still be 95 is because blacks are for color first while all else is a distant 2nd. If Cain were the nominee, then political leanings would trump color but only in that instance. Colin Powell should be proof enough of my theory.
    Black voters in Maryland voted for Martin O'Malley over Michael Steele.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •