Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm startled at how often I'm surprised what vile creatures they can be over there. Especially that "bupkus" caricature. Many of them will suspend reason and believe that a doctor of medicine would lie about such a thing, yet they had no trouble putting credibility in a grainy ABC video, shot from some distance away that they believed confirmed their world view. Lord help us if these people do gain control of the political system, as they so often dream of in their fantasies.

Fabulous Poster
    This is how "deeply held beliefs" work. And you wonder why I mock them? These people on DU, some of which are using the actual words "I believe" are engaging in belief. Not scientific deduction or reasonable conclusion - pure believe in conflict with all evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    This is how "deeply held beliefs" work. And you wonder why I mock them? These people on DU, some of which are using the actual words "I believe" are engaging in belief. Not scientific deduction or reasonable conclusion - pure believe in conflict with all evidence to the contrary.
    Wow. That's quite a leap. You're equating this with the stupid gay marriage debate? You're an idiot.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Star Member patrice (37,446 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore
    18. I still don't get how he could think his life was threatened, since HE was the one with THE GUN.

Even with these kinds of injuries, HOW could he think his life was in danger, HOW could he think an unarmed KID COULD kill him; he's the one with the gun!
    Zimmerman obviously thought that his life was in danger enough to pull and use the gun. 99.9% of the responsible gun owners live by the rule that you "dont pull it unless you intend to use it".
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Zimmerman obviously thought that his life was in danger enough to pull and use the gun. 99.9% of the responsible gun owners live by the rule that you "dont pull it unless you intend to use it".
    Yup. Jus common sense there. (sorry its totally vacant on the left)
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Recycled Roadkill
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    This. It's sad that the kid is dead, and it's sad that we have yet another racially based cause celebre dividing the the country. I can't comment on how it all went down--I wasn't there. But it's a sad situation all around and the evidence seems to be that Zimmerman was acting in self defense, although he could've met the kid fist to fist I suppose. But it's unfair how the media is basically painting him as guilty before any verdict is handed down--Using an old picture of a younger, innocent looking Martin contrasted with Zimmerman's mugshot. Yeah, people aren't going to assume he was a racist white man shooting an innocent black child based on that The media and it's racially divisive narratives are what keeps the races apart in a time post Segregation and in an era where racism, while it still sadly exists, isn't a dominant force in society anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ASquareDealer View Post
    This. It's sad that the kid is dead, and it's sad that we have yet another racially based cause celebre dividing the the country. I can't comment on how it all went down--I wasn't there. But it's a sad situation all around and the evidence seems to be that Zimmerman was acting in self defense, although he could've met the kid fist to fist I suppose. But it's unfair how the media is basically painting him as guilty before any verdict is handed down--Using an old picture of a younger, innocent looking Martin contrasted with Zimmerman's mugshot. Yeah, people aren't going to assume he was a racist white man shooting an innocent black child based on that The media and it's racially divisive narratives are what keeps the races apart in a time post Segregation and in an era where racism, while it still sadly exists, isn't a dominant force in society anymore.
    Except that racism is alive and well today, it's just on the left. Every time some ethnic grievance group foments rage at somebody else, they are wallowing in racism. They couldn't do what they do without it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Star Member patrice (37,446 posts)
    105. It might FEEL like a life or death situation, but it might RATIONALLY be otherwise. Law is rational.

Law wouldn't work at all if it adjudicated on the grounds of something as ephemeral as feelings/emotions.

Lots of things FEEL bad, but are rationally efficacious. Lots of things FEEL good, but are rationally bad.

You are right, he might feel like it was life or death, but he has a RATIONAL responsibility to ascertain whether that feeling is correct or not, especially since the other person is unarmed and HE is the one with the gun.

Z was SUPPOSED to figure it out. The law says there are consequences for deciding wrongly.

His responsibility is commensurate with his power, the gun, a greater power than Trayvon had, therefore much more responsibility for getting it right.

If he had been responsible enough to get it figured out right, Trayvon would be alive, and justly so, and Zimmerman would be a free man. He didn't just fuck up. He fucked up BIG, because of the gun. He must pay the price.
    Here is the deal. In Florida if one feels his or her life in in jeopardy then they can use deadly force. It is up to the police at the time of the incident to determine if they believe the shooter. If they don't they arrest him. If the do they let him and report it to the State's Attorney. This is exactly what happened with Zimmerman but a bunch of busybodies and race baiters decided that the police and State's Attorney made the wrong decision and forced the State's hand. I firmly believe that the only reason Zimmerman was arrested was to silence the malcontents.

Zimmerman has been charged with a crime that the State has to know he won't be convicted on. That is the reason I believe they didn't charge him with manslaughter. A jury might have convicted for the lessor offense but charging him with 2nd degree murder will result in a hung jury at worse.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Here is the deal. In Florida if one feels his or her life in in jeopardy then they can use deadly force. It is up to the police at the time of the incident to determine if they believe the shooter. If they don't they arrest him. If the do they let him and report it to the State's Attorney. This is exactly what happened with Zimmerman but a bunch of busybodies and race baiters decided that the police and State's Attorney made the wrong decision and forced the State's hand. I firmly believe that the only reason Zimmerman was arrested was to silence the malcontents.

Zimmerman has been charged with a crime that the State has to know he won't be convicted on. That is the reason I believe they didn't charge him with manslaughter. A jury might have convicted for the lessor offense but charging him with 2nd degree murder will result in a hung jury at worse.
    I 100% agree, they no the dont have enough evidence for a 2nd murder charge and did it to either to get a plea deal or be able to say WE AT LEAST TRIED, when he is set free.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    No, actually I don't wonder why you mock them. You're a self-absorbed, elitist with a mental defect, and that is why you mock..

Loser.
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot