Thread: Bob Barr wants Mccain, Obama off Texas ballot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I certainly am, feeb. Shut up.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Barr Misfires as Libertarian

By Craig Crawford | September 17, 2008 1:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (272)
    It is too bad the Libertarians blew it in nominating Bob Barr for president. Too bad because a party that truly believes in personal freedom and limited government is worth hearing from in these days of major parties that equivocate and prevaricate on those principles.

But in Barr, a former Georgia congressman who once accidentally fired a revolver at a fundraiser, Libertarians have ended up with a loose cannon whose record isn't even that strong on the party's ideals. For instance, how can someone who claims authorship of the Defense of Marriage act now claim to be a libertarian?

In recent days Barr has further burnished his nutty reputation and made his newfound party look like a joke. He appeared in federal court as part of a ridiculous lawsuit against Michael Bloomberg, charging the New York mayor with defamation against a gun club. He is in court in Texas promoting a bogus claim that John McCain and Barack Obama should not be on the state ballot in November.

And lately Barr has been publicly inviting former GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul, a onetime Libertarian nominee himself, to join him as running mate -- even though Barr has already chosen one, internet gambling entrepreneur Wayne Allyn Root. (Apparently, Paul never returned his call.)

Combine all this with Barr's pathetic fundraising and poor polling performance (which will cost him admission to the presidential debates) and you can see that Barr probably won't even have a spoiler effect anywhere in this race.

The Libertarian gambit to raise the party's profile with a better-known nominee than usual simply failed. The party ought to stay focused on building its base from the ground up, such as running stronger candidates for lesser offices, and one day its natural appeal to independent-thinking voters could really catch on.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Resident Grump
    Just because I don't vote doesn't mean that voters don't provide endless entertainment.
    Not interested in hearing from part of the problem.

Besides, you aren't voting in this one either.
    We had local elections last weekend. I turned up and voted. So did a whopping 98 percent of voters...result was a bloodbath for the incumbents, a motza for independents and one hell of a nasty shock for the Federal and State governments who have just been placed on notice.

Vox populi, vox dei.

Difference between you and me is you have the right to vote in US elections and dont give a shit..I dont have the right to vote in US elections and I do give a shit...especially about my own civic rights and duties.

Feeb, I am curious..what would you do if they called you for jury duty?

Eyelids
    I give Sonnabend a little bit of credit because he was in the military, but man he's a complete dick about pretty much everything. You played your little army game for 4 years (or however long they have it in Australia), but you aren't an American and really have no place telling somebody what to do with their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Not interested in hearing from part of the problem.
    And yet you sure seem to love to reply. You realize you're the iverglas of CU?

We had local elections last weekend. I turned up and voted. So did a whopping 98 percent of voters...result was a bloodbath for the incumbents, a motza for independents and one hell of a nasty shock for the Federal and State governments who have just been placed on notice.
    How exciting! I'm sure everything will change now!

Is voting compulsory in local elections or just state and federal?

Vox populi, vox dei.

Difference between you and me is you have the right to vote in US elections and dont give a shit..I dont have the right to vote in US elections and I do give a shit...especially about my own civic rights and duties.
    State worship is disturbing.

Feeb, I am curious..what would you do if they called you for jury duty?
    I'd go.

Court denies Libertarian Bob Barr's effort to kick McCain, Obama off Texas ballot

02:37 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

By CHRISTY HOPPE / The Dallas Morning News
    choppe@dallasnews.com
    AUSTIN — The Texas Supreme Court has denied Libertarian presidential candidate’s Bob Barr attempt to keep the names John McCain and Barack Obama off the state’s November ballot.

The court did not explain the reason for its decision Tuesday.

Mr. Barr, a former GOP congressman from Georgia, had argued in legal briefs that both major parties had failed to meet the state’s Aug. 26 deadline for certifying their presidential candidates as they would appear on the Texas ballot.

Neither Mr. McCain nor Mr. Obama had been officially nominated by their party conventions by the deadline. And Sarah Palin had not yet been named to the GOP ticket.

But the Democratic and Republican state parties had filed official documents with the secretary of state stating their presumed presidential candidates — the Democrats one day after the deadline. The Democrats also included Joe Biden’s name and the Republicans said they would report back with the name of their vice presidential contender, which they did.
    more at site

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I can only hope.
    Now, that's gonna leave a mark!
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Now, that's gonna leave a mark!
    I'm cut to the quick.