Thread: 'Pow Wow Chow'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'Pow Wow Chow' 
    The saga of U.S. Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren's phony baloney Native American heritage claim took an almost surreal turn.
    The Warren camp now says (and this is not a script from "SNL") that she is 1/32 Cherokee because her cousin was the editor of the book "Pow Wow Chow." ...

http://www.lvrj.com/blogs/sherm/Pow_..._.html?ref=545

I didn't know Amazon commenters had it in them:

I made this purchase hoping I would be invited to Indian lunches but I haven't got past the hot water part.

Overall this selection is lacking and has just a few good recipes inside. One for Humble Pie and another for Roasted Crow.

As a 0/32 native american, I decided to practice the recipes in this book in hopes that I would be invited to a luncheon, brunch or something with fellow 0/32 native americans.
    Be Not Afraid.

Elizabeth Warren was touting her claim of Cherokee heritage as early as 1984, according to a cookbook titled “Pow Wow Chow” edited by her cousin that includes Warren’s recipes for a savory crab omelet and spicy barbecued beans.
    The cookbook, edited by Warren’s cousin Candy Rowsey, is a compilation of “special recipes passed down through the Five Tribes families,” according to the introduction in a copy obtained by the Herald.
    Warren, who has been under fire for claiming Indian lineage despite a lack of documentation, is identified as “Elizabeth Warren, Cherokee” under each of five recipes she contributes in the cookbook, published in 1984 by the Five Civilized Tribes Museum located in Muskogee.
    http://bostonherald.com/news/us_poli...eid=1061132202

I was born in a hospital next to the Crow River named for the Crow Indians, I think some Indian chicks are hot, I once stayed at a Holiday Inn on an Indian reservation, I think I'm Indian!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

I wonder if she is related to Ward Churchill?
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Funny you should say that Gina, they have a certain similarity.

I knew it!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

The Amazon reviews are priceless:

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Chock full of family lore!, May 17, 2012
    By
    Jason K. Smith (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This review is from: Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes : Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole (Paperback)
    This is a fabulous collection of recipes suitable for faculty luncheons, or just anyone who is interested in getting in touch with their high-cheeked ancestors.

I felt, while making the crab with tomato mayonnaise dressing, that I was really in touch with my 0/32 Cherokee roots, and knew that my faux-native american ancestors were once putting this on canapes before inviting some new friends from the new world over for brunch!

14 of 14 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Get in touch with your roots!, May 17, 2012
    By
    Joshua P. Strodtbeck - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This review is from: Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes : Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole (Paperback)
    Some of the recipes in this book are by the nation's most famous Cherokee, Elizabeth Warren, who is 0/32 native on her mother's side. As a fellow 0/32 Cherokee, I have enjoyed getting in touch with my ancestry through some of the delightful recipes Dr. Warren has published, such as a recipe for herbed tomatoes. I absolutely recommend this for anyone with a similar ancestry who wants to know more about the traditions passed down from their forebears.

32 of 33 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Recipe UnWarrented, May 16, 2012
    By
    Mark W. Rodgers (Clarksville, MD, US) - See all my reviews
    I'm confused; each recipe calls for 0/32 measurements of ingredients -- that doesn't add up to anything. I have serious reservations about these recipes.

28 of 28 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Great For High Cheekbones, May 16, 2012
    By
    Tuscany1228 - See all my reviews
    If you don't have the enviable 'high' cheekbones of the Cherokee people,
    you should probably pass on this book as most of the recipes require at
    least 1/32 high cheekbones for chewing.

82 of 82 people found the following review helpful
    5.0 out of 5 stars raves from fellow faculty members, May 15, 2012
    By
    John Courtade (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    I've received nothing but rave reviews from my colleagues after whipping up treats from this cookbook in the faculty lounge kitchen. Admirers of Pow Wow Chow may also enjoy Bow Wow Chow, a Indonesian-influenced cookbook from a former professor now in politics.

40 of 41 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars but, May 15, 2012
    By
    SR (San jose, us) - See all my reviews
    do you need to have high cheekbones to enjoy the dishes? My aunt Bea didnt have high cheekbones so she never liked them.

70 of 73 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Great For Beginners, May 15, 2012
    By
    Jack The Rippa - See all my reviews
    As a 0/32 native american, I decided to practice the recipes in this book in hopes that I would be invited to a luncheon, brunch or something with fellow 0/32 native americans.

68 of 69 people found the following review helpful
    2.0 out of 5 stars Sitting Bull, May 14, 2012
    By
    Hoss (Boston) - See all my reviews
    I made this purchase hoping I would be invited to Indian lunches but I haven't got past the hot water part.

56 of 58 people found the following review helpful
    3.0 out of 5 stars A few good recipes, May 14, 2012
    By
    OutOfControl - See all my reviews
    Overall this selection is lacking and has just a few good recipes inside. One for Humble Pie and another for Roasted Crow.

46 of 49 people found the following review helpful
    3.0 out of 5 stars Baloney is Part of Native American Heritage?, May 14, 2012
    By
    White Troll - See all my reviews
    Claiming baloney is of Native American heritage is akin to the phony baloney claims that Elizabeth Warren is of Native American heritage.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

May the FORCE be with you!

Love the reviews from Amazon.

Looks like the recipes may not even have been hers...

The credibility of Massachusetts Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren took another hit today as Boston radio talk show host Howie Carr released evidence that appears to confirm Ms. Warren may have plagiarized at least three of the five recipes she submitted to the 1984 Pow Wow Chow cookbook edited by her cousin Candy Rowsey.

Two of the possibly plagiarized recipes, said in the Pow Wow Chow cookbook to have been passed down through generations of Oklahoma Native American members of the Cherokee tribe, are described in a New York Times News Service story as originating at Le Pavilion, a fabulously expensive French restaurant in Manhattan. The dishes were said to be particular favorites of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and Cole Porter. ...
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...w-chow-recipes