Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    so would I. the NJ served with us in Nam. we had to send her home. these ole gals were built for war time economy. she was costing us a million bucks a day just to keep her afloat and operating. we simply didn't have enough support ships to keep her going. I wondered why they could not convert them to nuke power. guess it was impractical ??? they're a great way to show the flag. and very intimidating
    You know whats sad? We prolly couldn't make something like that anymore. Could you picture a BB up to date? That would be impressive.

so would I. the NJ served with us in Nam. we had to send her home. these ole gals were built for war time economy. she was costing us a million bucks a day just to keep her afloat and operating. we simply didn't have enough support ships to keep her going. I wondered why they could not convert them to nuke power. guess it was impractical ??? they're a great way to show the flag. and very intimidating
    I think they'd be a great asset in the anti-piracy efforts off the coast of Somalia.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    You know whats sad? We prolly couldn't make something like that anymore. Could you picture a BB up to date? That would be impressive.
    I don't know. they should still have the plans and everything to do it. imagine Iowa # 5. nuke powered and upgraded with the latest fire control and electronics. they were the best weapons platform ever built
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I think they'd be a great asset in the anti-piracy efforts off the coast of Somalia.
    great target practice

I don't know. they should still have the plans and everything to do it. imagine Iowa # 5. nuke powered and upgraded with the latest fire control and electronics. they were the best weapons platform ever built
    Park a few of those off the coast of Iran and see what would happen

the Iowa left Richmond CA this morning. this is from the streaming vid I watched. she's being towed by a tug called warrior

a worse fate could have befallen her. she could have been scrapped. the WWII enterprise was scrapped, and there is probably no more a sacred warship than her.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    USS Wisconsin was used during Gulf War 1 in 92. used her to launch cruise missiles into Iraq. The problem with BB's is that they have been oboslete since WW2 with the advent of Carriers and have always been expensive to build and maintain. Thus why the Treaty of Washington after WW2 limited tonnage of BB's but not carriers or smaller ships. post WW2 their only real role can be taken over by smaller cheaper ships
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

you can track her thru Pacific battleship here. the map refresh's:

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/page/track

this is an intimidating photo

I was on a tour of the USS New Jersey and I asked a tour guide if they needed these ships again could the be fixed up and he said yes in a matter of 9 months or so. Someone must want these old gals to fight again :)
    They're obsolete in today's world; they're expensive to run, but we always seem to find a need for them and nothing says power like a battleship.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.