Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    I went to Dallas public schools (Oak Cliff area) along side Stevie Ray Vaughn and Stephen Tobolowsky (see: "Groundhog Day"). The DISD was steered by Dr. W. T. White. Back then, the child was going to be educated or they were going to find out the reason why.

    The greatest influence on my desire to learn was my third grade teacher, Mrs. Goldsmith. She started every class with a delightful Bible story read from a big book she kept on her desk.

    Mrs. Goldsmith was young and beautiful. I could have looked at her and listen to her all day. And her Bible story stayed with me all day.
    Now the ACLU would want to hang Mrs. Goldsmith in front of all the 3rd graders....so sad.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Zathras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    6,317
    Public education....putting the "Duh" in Florida since 2010.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It's a huge drop from last year's scores. It's my understanding the test is on it's way out.
    Are you saying that because the scores were so bad, they're going to drop the test or lower the standards?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    I went to Dallas public schools (Oak Cliff area) along side Stevie Ray Vaughn and Stephen Tobolowsky (see: "Groundhog Day"). The DISD was steered by Dr. W. T. White. Back then, the child was going to be educated or they were going to find out the reason why.

    The greatest influence on my desire to learn was my third grade teacher, Mrs. Goldsmith. She started every class with a delightful Bible story read from a big book she kept on her desk.

    Mrs. Goldsmith was young and beautiful. I could have looked at her and listen to her all day. And her Bible story stayed with me all day.
    Undies, so good to see you. Come back more often.

    I understand your point. My favorite teacher was a handsome English teacher from Spain. All the girls thought he was the greytest and paid attention in his class. Of course, it was silly, as he was the dad of one of my friends. But he was a very good teacher.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,591
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingBig View Post
    Are you saying that because the scores were so bad, they're going to drop the test or lower the standards?
    You've got it. This was on the front page of our local rag.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,061
    I think I'm going to need a second job to pay for my kid's private education.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,677
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The standards aren't too high here for either the students or the teachers. There's a teacher here who lives in my neighborhood with a masters. It figures she got it from a Florida school. She can't reason, talk, or write better than a 4th grader. To say she's dull is an overstatement. No wonder the students aren't doing well.

    When a teacher or administrator is obviously not capable or has done something really wrong, they give them a job filing or some menial work AT FULL PAY. The system is a mess here.

    I don't know much about Florida schools.


    In Michigan, there is a huge difference between scores from wealthy or middle class suburban districts and poor urban or rural districts. There is also a big difference in the amount of school work and the expectations of parents and teachers in the more successful districts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It's a huge drop from last year's scores. It's my understanding the test is on it's way out.

    Florida in some areas has also started paying teachers by merits rather then senority...

    I went to a private school, our scores on the "tests" always blew away the public schools..and our teachers made less money. The teachers were teachers because they wanted kids to learn...not just for a paycheck.
    Teachers can have all the "merits" in the world and still know nothing. It's like St Louis Woman's example of the teacher with a masters degree.

    One of the problems really is the teacher's union IMO. It serves its purpose in the sense that it helps teachers get paid enough. It's not fair to tell a teacher "You have to buy materials for your classroom, but we won't pay you squat." Some of the most caring people I know are either refusing to become teachers or to earn more degrees to stay teachers because of this very issue. It's not that they don't care, it's that they can't live broke.

    OTOH, teachers unions have pushed for too many benefits. For example, many states have a rule that if you make it past three years, then you're practically untouchable. It's nearly impossible to get that teacher fired. It doesn't matter how crappy their teaching is, how many of their students are failing, etc. They're untouchable. It shouldn't be like that. Another problem I've seen is that if a teacher admits to not being able to come back for the rest of the year but refuses to quit/retire, then that position is not permanently filled by another permanent teacher. Many school districts can add on a substitute at a contract pay rate, but a lot of school systems don't get to do that. It's like "Are you going to come back tomorrow?" That's pretty bad.

    So, I'd like to see teachers still get a decent amount of pay and I get offended at people who suggest they're not worth a dime, but honestly there are too many benefits that have been accumulated. I'd like to see some of those benefits go.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    I'm hyper. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,756
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know much about Florida schools.


    In Michigan, there is a huge difference between scores from wealthy or middle class suburban districts and poor urban or rural districts. There is also a big difference in the amount of school work and the expectations of parents and teachers in the more successful districts.
    That's true too, and I don't think that's an accident.

    Truth is students need the moral and academic support of their parents. When I volunteered in the school that had low scores, I found that the most successful students had involved parents. If the parent has the attitude of "School didn't do much for me, why should I encourage my child?," then the teacher is pretty much in for an uphill battle.

    There have also been cases where the parents morally supported their children, but really didn't have the academic ability to help them with their homework. I've learned that there are actually quite a few adults who either can't read or can't read well. I think if we had more programs assisting adults with learning how to read, then you'd see the scores of their children go up.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •