Thread: Does organic food turn people into jerks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Does organic food turn people into jerks? 
    Link
    As it turns out, new research has determined that a judgmental attitude may just go hand in hand with exposure to organic foods. In fact, a new study published this week in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, has found that organic food may just make people act a bit like jerks.

"There's a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous," says author Kendall Eskine, assistant professor of the department of psychological sciences at Loyola University in New Orleans. "I've noticed a lot of organic foods are marketed with moral terminology, like Honest Tea, and wondered if you exposed people to organic food, if it would make them pat themselves on the back for their moral and environmental choices. I wondered if they would be more altruistic or not."
    To find out, Eskine and his team divided 60 people into three groups. One group was shown pictures of clearly labeled organic food, like apples and spinach. Another group was shown comfort foods such as brownies and cookies. And a third group -- the controls -- were shown non-organic, non-comfort foods like rice, mustard and oatmeal. After viewing the pictures, each person was then asked to read a series of vignettes describing moral transgressions.

"One vignette was about second cousins having sex," says Eskine. "Another was about a lawyer on the prowl in an ER trying to get people to sue for their injuries. Then the groups made moral judgments on a scale from one to seven."

In another phase of the study, the three groups were asked to volunteer for a (fictitious) study, with each person writing down the amount of time -- from zero to 30 minutes -- that they would be willing to volunteer.

The results did not bode well for the organic folks.
    Next time someone is mean to me I'll ask them, do you eat organic food?
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Heh. I was just coming here to post this. It proves every stereotype of smug liberals.

I think that the only revelation here is that certain types of jerks, and there are a huge number of jerks out there of every stripe, are more inclined to choose organic foods than other jerks. My study finds that academics are more inclined to eat organic food than your average jerk.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I think that the only revelation here is that certain types of jerks, and there are a huge number of jerks out there of every stripe, are more inclined to choose organic foods than other jerks. My study finds that academics are more inclined to eat organic food than your average jerk.
    Exactly. Correlation does not equal causation. Otherwise, owning a Prius could be determined to be a cause of obnoxious self-righteousness, wearing Birkenstocks would cause unsightly leg hair to spontaneously grow on women, voting for Obama would cause an inability to grasp fundamental economic concepts, and posting on DU would lead to mental degeneration and the inability to form cogent arguments.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    hey, not all of us that eat organic (or grow organic food) are jerks. Damn libtards that act snobbish about their food are
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Personally I'm offended by the bastardization of the term 'organic'. If it is biological, it's organic however it's raised.

What it amounts to is creating another fake "I'm better than you" status symbol.

Does all that mean if I buy a cantaloupe from someone who used a bug killer it's inorganic?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    hey, not all of us that eat organic (or grow organic food) are jerks. Damn libtards that act snobbish about their food are
    Thankfully! The mention of Prius in an above post reminded me of the South Park where most of the people moved to Cali and sniffed their own farts because they think they're better than everyone.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Fabulous Poster
    I find mentally ill people annoying. My health food store has more than its share.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Thankfully! The mention of Prius in an above post reminded me of the South Park where most of the people moved to Cali and sniffed their own farts because they think they're better than everyone.

That was a hilarious episode. All the kids in San Francisco took LSD to avoid dealing with their fart-sniffing parents.

I don't think driving a Prius makes a person a jerk, nor do I think eating organic food does. But if that person does both....

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I find mentally ill people annoying. My health food store has more than its share.
    Must.... resist... easy... comeback.... ....Oh, the hell with it.

You can always shop elsewhere, which would either subject you to fewer mentally ill people, or subject the store to one fewer mentally ill person, depending on how they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That was a hilarious episode. All the kids in San Francisco took LSD to avoid dealing with their fart-sniffing parents.

I don't think driving a Prius makes a person a jerk, nor do I think eating organic food does. But if that person does both....
    Throw in smelling one's own farts, and you pretty much have the jerk trifecta.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!