Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ideas that have helped various mutts at out place settle in -
    Give them some old clothes (shirt, blouse, etc of the one it spends most of it's time with as bedding.
    Does it have a favorite toy? If not go to Petco, take the dog and let it pick one out.
    last choice would be a wee drop of Valium on its breakfast. I hate that choice but had to use it one time but after about 4-5 days it was no longer needed.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    ideas that have helped various mutts at out place settle in -
    Give them some old clothes (shirt, blouse, etc of the one it spends most of it's time with as bedding.
    Make sure the neighbor is not still wearing the old clothes!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

My first greyhound had separation anxiety. He would shred things when I was at work. I used the crate that the adoption group had lent me, and he hated it. He would jump around so much that the screws would come off, and he'd get out of the crate.

He did it for a while, but I tried giving him little blankets and towels to cuddle with. After a while, he settled down after he wasn't confined to the crate..

One thing I remember the vet telling me was to get him used to being left. Try on a weekend or in the evening leaving him for only a few minutes and gradually extend the time. That might get him used to being left and get the idea into his widdle head that you will be coming home.

A friend in St Louis had a grey with the separation anxiety. She tried letting her dog have the run of the kitchen, fencing it off with a baby gate. She put blankets on the floor there and she said that after a short while, the dog was less anxious than when left home alone in the crate.

It's weird, but little pooches generally are more difficult to housebreak and also tend to be yappier.

I'll ask some of my buddies on one of my greyhound online groups for some suggestions and will pass them on. My son also has a radio show on a small station and has a vet as a cohost. They'll be on tomorrow afternoon, so going to send an email to him now and ask if he can get some advice from the vet and from some behavioral experts that will be on the show.

Good luck. Maybe if you talk to the neighbor and ask for a little more time and tell the neighbors that you're working on it, it will buy you a bit more time in the training. If your pooch is friendly, maybe the cute pup can soften the neighbors. If he's a biter, leave him home.
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 05-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Hey Bailey, another thing you may want to consider is doggy daycare. We have them even in our town and they are very popular and, I believe, successful. Our vet has one attached to his clinic and I was there one morning when the regulars started arriving. One lady just drove up, opened her car door, and the dog jumps out in the rain and runs up to the clinic door. The dogs are allowed to stay outside or inside - whatever they wish.
    I know if I were still working and was gone all day that's the way I would handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Hey Bailey, another thing you may want to consider is doggy daycare. We have them even in our town and they are very popular and, I believe, successful. Our vet has one attached to his clinic and I was there one morning when the regulars started arriving. One lady just drove up, opened her car door, and the dog jumps out in the rain and runs up to the clinic door. The dogs are allowed to stay outside or inside - whatever they wish.
    I know if I were still working and was gone all day that's the way I would handle it.
    We are going to try to crate train him since he is only 6months old and we might get him a friend to keep him company. oh and the dog collar I am checking. The lady upstairs just has to deal its only for a few hours each day in the afternoon, i am not going to break my kids hearts for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    We are going to try to crate train him since he is only 6months old and we might get him a friend to keep him company. oh and the dog collar I am checking. The lady upstairs just has to deal its only for a few hours each day in the afternoon, i am not going to break my kids hearts for her.
    I've got another idea that you may be able to work out: See if you can find him a backyard buddy where he can be dropped of to spend the day in another dog's yard during the day. Maybe someone at work. Dogs who spend the day by themselves in the backyard need company, too.

I have two Chihuahas.

People are right about the seperation anxiety issue for Chi's. Don't know what you can do when you're not home, but we had to get him a buddy for him to relax. That's probably not an option though.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I've got another idea that you may be able to work out: See if you can find him a backyard buddy where he can be dropped of to spend the day in another dog's yard during the day. Maybe someone at work. Dogs who spend the day by themselves in the backyard need company, too.
    The success on that idea depends on the location. I wouldn't trust a pup out in the yard all day without someone there. A popular breed like a chi might disappear very quickly. I'm not slamming Florida, as it happened a lot in St Louis, too.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I have two Chihuahas.

People are right about the seperation anxiety issue for Chi's. Don't know what you can do when you're not home, but we had to get him a buddy for him to relax. That's probably not an option though.
    We could get his brother for the litter he came from but my GF is kind of against that idea. he's only on his own for like 4 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    We could get his brother for the litter he came from but my GF is kind of against that idea. he's only on his own for like 4 hours a day.
    I was against that idea too, but the wife won out. It has made a world of difference them being together on the anxiety. They attach to people VERY easily. They aren't really too much trouble because they are so small, but the big drawback is hey are really hard to potty train.

BTW:
    I know you can't do this when you are away, but we hated to have a yappy untrained Chihuaha. We taught ours not to be yappy and bark too much. We let them have a few barks to warn us of whatever it is they are barking at. Then we use a word like "enough" or "ok" and we praise them when they stop barking. It's helped alot.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor