Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    The success on that idea depends on the location. I wouldn't trust a pup out in the yard all day without someone there. A popular breed like a chi might disappear very quickly. I'm not slamming Florida, as it happened a lot in St Louis, too.

Good advice. Chi's aren't outdoor dogs. They are lunch for predators outdoors.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Good advice. Chi's aren't outdoor dogs. They are lunch for predators outdoors.
    he goes no where outside without a Y harness and a leash. he is strictly a indoor dog.

hes got me wrapped around his little paw :(

Why didnt she get a golden or german shepard

We are trying to crate train him but I just heard he shit all over the crate. :(

The shock collar looks more and more like a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    We are trying to crate train him but I just heard he shit all over the crate. :(

The shock collar looks more and more like a good thing.
    He's awfully small for a shock collar. The dolphins at Mote (and the animals at the zoo) are trained with positive reinforcement.

When he's barking, try squirting him with a water gun. When he's quiet, tell him good boy and maybe give him a treat. That should help him gradually understand, lots of praise when he's being good.

I don't know if this book is still in print, but maybe you can get it at a library. It's called "Don't Shoot the Dog". It's written by Karen Pryor. I've seen her in person at a talk at the St Louis Zoo. She's a big advocate of positive reinforcement.

She claims the advice will work on anyone or thing. I used her advice way back when I had a really nasty boss. It worked. Instead of arguing all the time, we got along and he started being way nicer.

The keepers at the zoo used her methods from everything from elephants to hippos to rhinos. They certainly would work with a dog.

It's a short little book and an easy read.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

He's awfully small for a shock collar. The dolphins at Mote (and the animals at the zoo) are trained with positive reinforcement.

When he's barking, try squirting him with a water gun. When he's quiet, tell him good boy and maybe give him a treat. That should help him gradually understand, lots of praise when he's being good.

I don't know if this book is still in print, but maybe you can get it at a library. It's called "Don't Shoot the Dog". It's written by Karen Pryor. I've seen her in person at a talk at the St Louis Zoo. She's a big advocate of positive reinforcement.

She claims the advice will work on anyone or thing. I used her advice way back when I had a really nasty boss. It worked. Instead of arguing all the time, we got along and he started being way nicer.

The keepers at the zoo used her methods from everything from elephants to hippos to rhinos. They certainly would work with a dog.

It's a short little book and an easy read.

The problem with squarting him with water is that no one is ever around when he barks :(

Only when he is alone do we have any problems with him :(

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    God don't shock collar him!!! You'll fry him!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

The problem with squarting him with water is that no one is ever around when he barks :(

Only when he is alone do we have any problems with him :(
    You've got a good point. Does he bark when people come to your door? Maybe you could get in some practice with that. The old water gun worked with my only noisy greyhound, who was hyped up with steroids when he came off the track. I flunked the foster thing with him and kept him. I still can't figure out why. He eventually settled down and was a good pooch.

Maybe your neighbor who is annoyed with his barking during the hours you are gone could watch him. It might help to throw a few bucks their way. And if they're not home then, who cares? They're admitting that he couldn't be all that bad of a problem for them. He'll probably worm his way into their hearts if they're around him.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

...........Why didnt she get a golden or german shepard
    I dunno about the golden, but the reason she didn't get you a German Shepherd is because they shed about 50% of their coat a day! Most people can't stand them inside the house. Every day you should get up and thank God for your small, non-shedding dog.

You've got a good point. Does he bark when people come to your door? Maybe you could get in some practice with that. The old water gun worked with my only noisy greyhound, who was hyped up with steroids when he came off the track. I flunked the foster thing with him and kept him. I still can't figure out why. He eventually settled down and was a good pooch.

Maybe your neighbor who is annoyed with his barking during the hours you are gone could watch him. It might help to throw a few bucks their way. And if they're not home then, who cares? They're admitting that he couldn't be all that bad of a problem for them. He'll probably worm his way into their hearts if they're around him.
    She is an old lady that lives upstairs and the only time we have a problem with barking is from around noon to 4pm. He rarely barks any other time. She ok but she has a cat so I doubt she'll watch him, though I dont doubt he'll worm his way in her heart, he did it to this hardened heart of mine :D
    Last edited by Bailey; 05-25-2012 at 06:37 AM.