Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OK, Fettpett, what is Alternative History? 
    Fett made a comment about alternative history.

Rather than hijack the other thread, I thought this would be a good place to discuss....................that which never happened, maybe?

So. Whut th heck is Alternative History?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Fett made a comment about alternative history.

Rather than hijack the other thread, I thought this would be a good place to discuss....................that which never happened, maybe?

So. Whut th heck is Alternative History?
    I'll take a stab and say that history is most often written by the victors, the mainstream, the strong. but if you want to know the "whole" truth, then you have to study the history written by the losers and the underpriviledged.
    what you say Fett?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

I'll give you an example of alternative history. The KKK. The left loves to point them out as a right wing organization when we all know better. They also like to try to say that slavery was a right wing Republican institution. Again, we all know better.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Terminology is being used incorrectly, history is what actually happened and cannot be changed, you can have an accurate and inaccurate accounting but you cannot change fact or history, only your awareness of them.
    The term alternate history is inaccurate and sounds like something you would get from a generation of children raised on scifi and video games.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 05-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Another form of alternative history is material that Harry Turtledove writes about in his books....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South

And another series he has written is Worldwar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Looks to me like Alternative History is nothing but fiction. Sort of like the movie Inglorious Basterds.

If so, it's not really worth considering on a History Forum, except just for fun.

Alternative history:

"The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Looks to me like Alternative History is nothing but fiction. Sort of like the movie Inglorious Basterds.

If so, it's not really worth considering on a History Forum, except just for fun.
    Nah....it actually provides the whole truth rather than just painting us Southerners as a bunch of black hating slavery loving imbeciles.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Linco.../dp/0761536418
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Alternative history:

I thought that was more like Alternative Universe.

"The War of Northern Aggression" would be a good example of alternative history.
    Be Not Afraid.