1. #1 How the Wild West REALLY looked 
    These remarkable 19th century sepia-tinted pictures show the American West as you have never seen it before - as it was charted for the first time.
    The photos, by Timothy O'Sullivan, are the first ever taken of the rocky and barren landscape.
    At the time federal government officials were travelling across Arizona, Nevada, Utah and the rest of the west as they sought to uncover the land's untapped natural resources.

Breathtaking landscape: A view across the Shoshone Falls, Snake River, Idaho in 1874 as it was caught on camera by photographer Timothy O'Sullivan during Lt. George M. Wheeler's survey west of the One Hundredth Meridian that lasted from 1871 to 1874. Approximately 45 feet higher than the Niagara falls of the U.S and Canada, the Shoshone Falls are sometimes called the 'Niagara of the West'. Before mass migration and industrialisation of the west, the Bannock and Shoshone Indians relied on the huge salmon stocks of the falls as a source of food. And the John C. Fremont Expedition of 1843, one of the first missions to encounter the falls reported that salmon could be caught simply by throwing a spear into the water, such was the stock

Land rising from the water: The Pyramid and Domes, a line of dome-shaped tufa rocks in Pyramid Lake, Nevada photographed in 1867. Taken as part of Clarence King's Geological Exploration of the Fortieth Parallel, O'Sullivan's mesmerising pictures of the other-wordly rock formations at Pyramid Lake committed the sacred native American Indian site to camera for the first time

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1vuLRtvSW

Some wonderful pictures at the link. Enjoy!

I bet Rock saw it that way.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

I think rock and I met that guy.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Wow, that is really beautiful!
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Those are great photos.
    Today, we point and shoot till our fingers bleed and fall far short of what a photograph can do.

These days we are all aware of the Eton Patz case and its resolution. Part of the reason we feel connected to Eton is because of the wonderful photographs, which were made by his father Stan Patz, a professional photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    I think rock and I met that guy.
    Yep, he said we from the guvmint and you shouldn't be roasting that Dodo bird.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Yep, he said we from the guvmint and you shouldn't be roasting that Dodo bird.
    tasted like chicken anyway.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.