Thread: DUmmies Want To Take Away McCain's Disability Payment

1. #1 DUmmies Want To Take Away McCain's Disability Payment 
    LynneSin (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-09-08 04:18 PM
    Original message
    McCain still getting $58k/year in government disability payment? WTF!!
    Edited on Mon Jun-09-08 04:20 PM by LynneSin
    First, I think the disability program is an important part of our country but I thought it was for people who were truly disable and unable to actually work or can work but have limited funds to pay for disability upkeep. I realize that McCain served some challenging times during the Vietnam war, but this is a guy who not only makes $250K/year WITH full & complete benefits coverage BUT he is also married to an extremely wealthy woman to boot.

And what really pisses me off is McCain is more than happy to take the $58k a year but he'll then vote again GI Bill rights and other benefits for our GI who could clearly use that $58k a year.

http://www.americablog.com/2008/06/why-is-mccain-gettin...

Why is McCain getting $58,000 a year in disability income?
    John Aravosis (DC) 6/08/2008 12:07:00 PM ET Link

First off, I find it fascinating that John McCain, who is refusing to vote for the GI Bill for our troops because "it's too generous," is himself getting $58,000 a year, tax-free, from the US government for his military service. Had McCain been getting that amount every year since Vietnam, that would total $2,000,000 for the man who isn't into overgenerous government. I just find that interesting.

His staff responded with the classic "he was tortured for his country." Yeah, we get it. The torture card. It's to McCain what 9/11 was to Giuliani's candidacy - the never-ending name-drop. Though what McCain's staff actually said was downright, um, we're being nice to Clinton now, so I won't say Clintonian. Here's the quote:

McCain campaign strategist Mark Salter said Monday night that McCain was technically disabled. "Tortured for his country -- that is how he acquired his disability," Salter said.
    Technically? What does that mean? Usually, it means that under the strict reading of the law, you're covered, but in fact it's kind of a nudge-nudge-wink-wink situation - that's what "technically" means. It's called parsing, which is something you do to "technically" claim something is true, when on its face it really isn't. So is McCain "technically" disabled, and taking $58,000 a year tax free from the government, or is he actually disabled? I would imagine there are other solders who are actually disabled who could use the money. And if he is actually disabled, just how disabled is he?

http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=6328872
    They make me ashamed to be a Democrat.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Politically tired.
    Okay, maybe this won't make me popular, but here it goes.

He should be respected for his service and particularly his POW status. That special knowledge alone makes me consider whether I should vote for him. Maybe he does deserve some sort of compenation.

But disability is for the disabled. That's supposed to be based on whether one's disability is keeping them from working. I think work that one is trained for is taken into consideration.

McCain doesn't appear disabled, and he sure isn't being kept out of work. And personally, I think that's a good point about the G.I. Bill. He'll deny it for others, but take it for himself when he may not need it.

While I do think we owe our vets (particularly former POWs) a great deal of respect and other things, I think disability services should be reserved for those who need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

He should be respected for his service and particularly his POW status. That special knowledge alone makes me consider whether I should vote for him. Maybe he does deserve some sort of compenation.

But disability is for the disabled. That's supposed to be based on whether one's disability is keeping them from working. I think work that one is trained for is taken into consideration.

McCain doesn't appear disabled, and he sure isn't being kept out of work. And personally, I think that's a good point about the G.I. Bill. He'll deny it for others, but take it for himself when he may not need it.

He can't lift his arms above his shoulders to comb his own hair. That seems disabled to me.

Quote Originally Posted by everyman68 View Post
    They make me ashamed to be a Democrat.
    The DUmp would make any sane Democrat be ashamed.

The military has a formula to decide disability. McCain didn't receive specal treatment.

Because, as I understand it, he can't put on a shirt by himself because he can't raise his arms above his shoulders. (This is why when McCain greets a crowd he raises his arms out instead of up.) I'd be curious to see who would declare that condition not meeting the definition of "disabled."

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    The military has a formula to decide disability. McCain didn't receive specal treatment.

Based on his disability payments he isn't rated at 100% either.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

While I do think we owe our vets (particularly former POWs) a great deal of respect and other things, I think disability services should be reserved for those who need it.
    I'll forgive you your ignorance...

It's NOT a disability payment. It's his military retirement pay.

The fact that he is rated 100% disabled by the VA means his that 100% of his military retirement is tax free.

It helps to know what your speaking about.

Just to be fair, McCain had an alternative to Webb's bill, but it was "tabled"
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...litics-of.html