1. #1 Commerce considers labeling Arab Americans a disadvantaged minority 
    By Rachel Leven - 05/29/12 02:00 PM ET

The Commerce Department is considering naming Arab Americans a socially and economically disadvantaged minority group that is eligible for special business assistance.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) petitioned Commerce earlier this year to ask that Arab Americans be made eligible for the Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA), which helps minority entrepreneurs gain access to capital, contracts and trade opportunities.

The ADC petition cited “discrimination and prejudice in American society[,] resulting in conditions under which Arab-American individuals have been unable to compete in a business world.” The group claimed discrimination against Arab Americans increased after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

“The ADC petition asserts that, in the government’s efforts to protect Americans, they essentially took away the rights of other Americans,” according to the notice of proposed rulemaking about the petition.

Commerce is asking for comment about whether there is social and economic discrimination against Arab Americans, along with examples of it occurring. The MBDA will decide whether or not to accept the petition by June 27.

More from The Hill:
    ♦ Romney: Obama desperate for 'twig to hold on to' on economy
    ♦ Trump, Romney's surrogate, goes on ‘birther’ offensive
    ♦ EverSmoke offers Boehner e-cigarettes
    ♦ White House: More 'chaos and carnage' in arming Syrian rebels
    ♦ House to vote on bill penalizing abortion based on sex of child
    ♦ Sen. Marco Rubio to visit Guantánamo
    ♦ Pentagon denies US special forces deployed in North Korea
    ♦ Schumer asks airlines to drop preferred-seat fees for children

In making the case for minority status, ADC highlighted the National Security Entry Exit Registration System, "which required non-immigrants to register at ports of entry and targeted males from Arab nations; stricter travel guidelines; and ‘no-fly lists’ that predominantly contained the names of Arab-Americans," according to MBDA’s summary of the petition.

The petition also said studies indicate that Arab Americans have seen their earnings decrease since Sept. 11 compared to other ethnic groups, and have been subject to harassment and racial profiling while receiving “few prime government contracts.”

The ADC wants any “American who traces his or her ethnic roots to one of the countries in the Arab World, including Algeria, Bahrain, Djoubti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen” to be eligible for MBDA services. Palestinians would also be included.

MBDA services are now offered to African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Spanish-speaking Americans, American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, Hasidic Jews, Asian-Pacific Americans and Asian Indians.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-mone...taged-minority

I am ready to label Barack as an unemployed American.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

If Arabs are a disadvantaged minority here, they are welcome to go back where they are an advantaged majority.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Jesus wept.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Fabulous Poster
    All, and I do mean all, of our corner stores are once again owned and operated by Muzzies. I have yet to see an Arab begging in the street, although I am certain that in New York you could find just about anything.

Disadvantaged my ass. This is just more of these fucking parasites working their way deeper into the guts of America.

Explain Qatar.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    If Arabs are a disadvantaged minority here, they are welcome to go back where they are an advantaged majority.

The only arabs that I've seen are a disadvantaged minority are the recent refugees from Iraq. They are pretty poor. My church has done some charity events for a group that lives in the Madison Heights area, getting bikes for the kids and giving away used clothes, toys and household items. They called it a "reverse garage sale". I'm not sure they will remain a disadvantaged minority in 5 years.

But the established arab community in Dearborn and such are not disadvantaged in any way. There is a lot of hostililty between the arabs and black people. It'll get ugly around Detroit if arabs get declared to be disadvantaged minorities.

♦ Trump, Romney's surrogate, goes on ‘birther’ offensive
    It's amazing how much time and effort the media is putting on Romney to distance himself from Trump or to make a big speech about how wrong Trump is. Obama never got such "advice" or a close look at his goofy and/or dangerous fundraisers. It's ridiculous.

As for the disadvantaged schtick, it's a bunch of hooey. As has been stated in this thread, lots of corner stores, cell phone franchises, gas stations are run by Arabs. I guess ridiculous is my word of the day.
    Good men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because
    rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Real superheroes don't wear capes. They wear dog tags.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Explain Qatar.
    Lots of oil under Arabs, and westerners willing to pay for the privilege of extracting it, refining it, shipping it and using it. Arab culture considers manual labor to be shameful, so they don't do it, at least in Arab countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It's amazing how much time and effort the media is putting on Romney to distance himself from Trump or to make a big speech about how wrong Trump is. Obama never got such "advice" or a close look at his goofy and/or dangerous fundraisers. It's ridiculous.
    The media wants to divide the Republicans. They have no interest in dividing Democrats, or even reporting facts about them. Thus, Romney is under attack for being associated through party affiliation with Trump, but Obama is given a pass for having a bigoted, loony pastor as his spiritual mentor, a bigoted communist as his Green Jobs Czar, an unrepentant domestic terrorist as his political mentor, a communist as his childhood mentor, and a host of other advocates of varying forms of totalitarian thuggery around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    As for the disadvantaged schtick, it's a bunch of hooey. As has been stated in this thread, lots of corner stores, cell phone franchises, gas stations are run by Arabs. I guess ridiculous is my word of the day.
    This isn't meant to help Arabs, it's meant specifically to help Muslims. The complaint about the "National Security Entry Exit Registration System, "which required non-immigrants to register at ports of entry and targeted males from Arab nations; stricter travel guidelines; and ‘no-fly lists’ that predominantly contained the names of Arab-Americans," according to MBDA’s summary of the petition" conveniently ignores the reason for the act, or why Arab males were targeted. Hint: It's the jihad, stupid!

The ADC wants any “American who traces his or her ethnic roots to one of the countries in the Arab World, including Algeria, Bahrain, Djoubti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen” to be eligible for MBDA services. Palestinians would also be included.

In other words, if they have been subject to increased scrutiny because others from their country of origin have a habit of blowing themselves and any infidels in the immediate vicinity to tiny bits, we're now going to be expected to provide affirmative action for them? If that goes through, I'm claiming that I'm 1/16th Arab on my mother's side, and my daughters are 1/32nd Arab. Harvard, open wide!
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Lots of oil under Arabs, and westerners willing to pay for the privilege of extracting it, refining it, shipping it and using it. Arab culture considers manual labor to be shameful, so they don't do it, at least in Arab countries.
    !
    Oh, make no mistake, I get it. One look at the arab world would blow a huge hole in the entire lie that the left is trying to pass off as truth. Arabs have plenty of OUR money to waste as they see fit. If the filthy rich arabs decide their "poor" brethren don't deserve their riches, too bad. Arabs can start paying for arabs and stop looking for America taxpayers to foot the bill. Screw them and the camel they rode in on.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand